PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pulled out a Toyota spacia/ tarago / townace radiator before?

mudnut
19th April 2016, 01:50 PM
As the heading says, I need to pull the radiator out of Mrs mudsane's crappy old van. I have never done it before so don't know where to start as the little sucker is buried in there. Any advice is welcome, apart from the suggestion to scrap the van, which I have wanted to do for the last year or so.

threedogs
19th April 2016, 01:53 PM
Ill get back to you asap when my son returns
He did this stuff all the time

mudnut
19th April 2016, 02:07 PM
Cheers John. I have done the head on the engine years ago, but I've never pulled a radiator on van so don't know whether to take out the seats or to drop it out from under the van. Mrs mudsane was on her way to Melbourne last night and the radiator popped at Colac. The RACV mech seems to think a stone has holed it. There is too much water coming out to use Seal Tite or the like, so I think the radiator has split.

We have been in the RACV Total Care for ages and it has payed for itself. Mrs has a hire car and the van got dropped of just now.

threedogs
19th April 2016, 02:25 PM
Could it be a split hose or is the coolant/water coming out the middle of the radiator.
Id say it comes out from underneath, but Ive never seen one done before,
either way its going to be a PITB

garett
19th April 2016, 02:35 PM
seats out for hiace. town ace open bonnet .... well the one i know. good luck i hate vans

mudnut
19th April 2016, 02:36 PM
Yeah, you are not wrong. I can't see any moisture near the hoses. Its coming out of the core. It is only 483,000 Ks old. Would expect a better run that that wouldn't you? :)

mudnut
19th April 2016, 03:42 PM
Hi ho Hi ho to gut a van I go. Radiator ordered, seats to be taken out :( At least mudnutette can help me lift the bastards out when she gets home from work.

mudnut
19th April 2016, 06:49 PM
What a marvellous job that was. I can hardly move atm. Some sections of the radiator look like jail bars as there are whopping great holes in the fins.
$268 for a replacement radiator. While I've got the seats out I will change the hoses, oil filter and give the engine a new set of platinum plugs. They are over 150000 ks overdue for a changeout. Had no dough so I just adjusted the gap onto what was left of the electrodes about 40000 ks ago and it has kept running ok.

mudnut
22nd April 2016, 06:17 PM
The radiator turned up and looked right so I fitted it. All was well until I tried to fit the top hose. The outlet is 1/2 an inch to freaking small. Can't get a replacement hose till Tuesday, maybe. If anyone buys a Motor Kool radiator, check out ALL of the dimensions first.

BigRAWesty
22nd April 2016, 06:36 PM
The radiator turned up and looked right so I fitted it. All was well until I tried to fit the top hose. The outlet is 1/2 an inch to freaking small. Can't get a replacement hose till Tuesday, maybe. If anyone buys a Motor Kool radiator, check out ALL of the dimensions first.
Bugger. What a shit..

mudnut
29th April 2016, 06:35 PM
The top radiator hose has finally been installed. Andrew at Autopro Portland has bent over backwards to solve the problem. He had a steel reducer made up to fit the smaller
outlet and gave me a hose to cut up, all for free. All that and three trips out to my place to get the right parts. The transport company he uses went bust, so that was a major source of delay.