PDA

View Full Version : crossing the Simpson

kemsafe@bigpond.com
14th April 2011, 11:54 AM
Preperation for this trip is geeting bigger than ben hur!
Any infromation on long range fuel tanks or replace main tank with big tank would be appreciated
Seems there is a lot of opinions but I do not want to carry jerry cans
Reg

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 12:38 PM
Any infromation on long range fuel tanks or replace main tank with big tank would be appreciated
Reg

If you don't want to carry Jerry cans mate, you'll more than likely need long range tanks then. Depending on weight and if you're towing etc, general rule of thumb is work on needing twice the normal amount of fuel - that is, if you get 600klms from a standard tank, work on the possibility of getting only 300 if the going gets tough - heavy sand, mud, etc. Work out your trip, the longest sections without fuel, and remove remote fuel stations because at times they won't have any supply (or at least not for you if you don't call ahead and let them know) - from there, you can work out the worst case scenario for what you need to carry. Example - I did the Diamontina development road once, which is normally graded and in reasonable condition, after about 6" of rain and towing a camper in a 1996 EFI 6 cylinder pathfinder - we had one section of road (386klms) that took us 14 hours with 3 vehicles - it was a dead set mess, and I went through a full tank and over half a Jerry can (about 90+ litres) for that section alone.

AB
14th April 2011, 12:48 PM
I would highly recommend carrying at least jerry can or two for emergency.

I have done Simpson twice and both times we carried 4 cans.

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 12:59 PM
I would highly recommend carrying at least jerry can or two for emergency.

I have done Simpson twice and both times we carried 4 cans.

Good point - especially if you get a leak in the tank, or a bad batch of fuel - at least you have backup to nurse it into somewhere to get it looked at.

AB
14th April 2011, 01:19 PM
Ripper trip, hope it all goes well for you...Please take heaps of piccies for us for when you return!!!

macca
14th April 2011, 02:07 PM
"Better to look at it than look for it"

Great idea not to have all your eggs in 1 basket, a couple of jerry's for a backup is a great idea. You can even share them around with the other travellers.

Plus that side trip could be worth further consideration if you have a bit extra.

If you do spring a leak in you underbody tanks it give you some options to get going again.

Crossed the Simpson in '08 its a great experience, leave plenty of time for Dalhousie, it is a true gem. 2 night stop there for us next time.......

Macca

AB
14th April 2011, 02:50 PM
x 2 the Dalhousie springs are the best. It's a shame that It's all blocked off now with only the one side of the main spring accessible.

The first time I went there in the late 80's early 90's you could drive around the area and find your own paradise lagoon with the right temperature just for you with no one else around...Paradise!!!

I also remember getting absolutely hammered by mozzies one night there...lol...Good times!

macca
14th April 2011, 08:15 PM
I also remember getting absolutely hammered by mozzies one night there...lol...Good times!

Yeah nearly forgot about them. Just keep ducking under, got to keep the ears warm somehow. Little buggers didn't like getting wet.

Maxhead
14th April 2011, 10:57 PM
G'Day and welcome mate..hope the trip goes well

chrissey
18th April 2011, 10:48 AM
Well jealous on that trip mate, I have only done small 4x4 trips but still always carried one jerry can in case something goes wrong with the fuel tank.

DX grunt
18th April 2011, 11:12 AM
Reg

G'day Reg

My ex Telstra truck, 4.2 TDi, has a 90lt mains (rear) and 75lt aux (front) Not sure where you buy them from.

Hope this helps.

Ross

mrcrazydude
20th April 2011, 08:29 PM
Welcome aboard, sounds like a great trip, cant wait to get out there myself!

patch697
3rd May 2011, 06:52 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul