PDA

View Full Version : RB30 Engine exhaust manifold compatibility

dom14
18th April 2016, 07:40 PM
Hey Guys,

Are the stock exhaust manifolds of RB30 Patrol, R31 Skyline and VL RB30 are identical?

Cylinder head side of the manifold is obviously the same.
I'm wondering whether the manifolds are identical in the way, so they can be interchangeable between Patrols, R31 Skylines & VL commodores.
I understand that most of the VLs out there have extractors, as well as many Skylines as well.

Thanx in advance for any information.

P.S. I'm looking for a replacement stock exhaust manifold for my RB30, while I'm trying to fix the original one with the broken studs. This will also help me to confirm the whether the manifold surface(on the flange side) has anything to do with flange leaking.

garett
19th April 2016, 08:10 AM
had a VL leaking from the same spot. filed it flat new gasket and hey presto.

drill a hole in the bolt that snapped and hammer in a torx bit. 1/4 inch socket and un screw. or just drill it out.
used the torx bit trick when i snapped my manifold stud.

dom14
24th April 2016, 05:41 AM
had a VL leaking from the same spot. filed it flat new gasket and hey presto.

drill a hole in the bolt that snapped and hammer in a torx bit. 1/4 inch socket and un screw. or just drill it out.
used the torx bit trick when i snapped my manifold stud.

Looks like I got the same problem mate.
The slight gap on on side of the flange surfaces doesn't seem to go all the way to the hole, but
I think I better file it.

How did you file the manifold flange?
Did you use a normal hand file, or is there a better backyard trick?
Thanx

mudnut
24th April 2016, 01:10 PM
Tried the filing trick on both the manifold and the engine pipe and it didn't work, hence the switch to headers.

the evil twin
24th April 2016, 01:14 PM
Strewth... that is a serious case of 'not flat'... no wonder the gaskets were blowing out

dom14
24th April 2016, 04:37 PM
Tried the filing trick on both the manifold and the engine pipe and it didn't work, hence the switch to headers.

Thanx mate. I'm thinking of trying a one more trick in addition to filing.
I'm planning to replace the seemingly inflexible mount of the exhaust pipe with a flexi rubber mount(hanging type), to allow the pipe to freely move without stressing the flange joint. I'll see how it goes.
I'm also planning to apply some exhaust putty goo around the flange joint and wrap with exhaust wrapping tape.
Or perhaps I should wait to see if the flange fails this time and then apply the goo and wrap it.

You weren't sure the real reason for flange failure?

dom14
24th April 2016, 05:44 PM
Strewth... that is a serious case of 'not flat'... no wonder the gaskets were blowing out

I swear, it wasn't like this last time I did the same thing. I used a feeler gauge as well last time. This happened during last few months.