PDA

View Full Version : starting to collect bits to do a turbo conversion ....

Makka
18th April 2016, 02:18 PM
so after reading some stuff on here it looks like you go with the log manifold gtx28.... turbo and 11mm pump not looking for massive boost
i want reliability enough torque to pull a hooker of a sailor with a fist fulla 50's....... still looking at what intercooler setup to go with. hopeing to do this on a limited budget....

looks like nisnewbey and beneboy know there shit .........hmmmmm this is going to kill me .... well the wife will lol :bananarock:

threedogs
18th April 2016, 02:45 PM
Need to talk to a few of the 4.2 guys, Mudski just converted his
and as you noted NN and Bene should have all if not most answers for you

Makka
18th April 2016, 02:59 PM
TD yeah been reading all there stuff i could find ....... about turbo upgrades my car im goussing will have the 10mm pump in it at the moment so the 11mm will be one of the first things to look for the one with out the electronics on it

threedogs
18th April 2016, 03:11 PM
Are you looking for big RwKw.
or do you have a figure in mind say 150hp I have no idea
But armed with that info the guys could fill in the blanks

Makka
18th April 2016, 03:40 PM
just want torque for hills hp is a by product not sure on the hp just want it to pull

threedogs
18th April 2016, 03:44 PM
What area are you in???
You may want to talk to Readies or maybe JPC

Makka
18th April 2016, 06:31 PM
central coast nsw .......... talking to a mate and had a bit of a stupid idea which will work for now possibly thinking of buying one of the cheap chinese setups to start run it at about 15 16 psi my 10mm pump should keep up with it at that ..... while i get a 11mm pump and recondition it and save for the motor build it will only bee the bottom end as it has a brand new head on it .... heavier valve springs only in the head..... go with new liners pistons rings bearings get the crank done if it needs it new cam ????
then put it back together at the same time add the 11mm pump and good turbo and intercooler ..........

nissannewby
18th April 2016, 07:58 PM
First what is your budget?

Second dont buy a cheap china setup. Poor man pays twice, save the money do it once do it right. Have a chat to AB about his recent turbo installation :) .

Makka
19th April 2016, 07:21 PM
well the only reason is i though the manifold i could still use then later buy a good turbo start out with what i have while i save for a 11mm pump and the rebuild on the motor

nissannewby
19th April 2016, 08:12 PM
The cheap manifolds are known to warp and crack. The cheap turbos while there are some good ones out there some can be hit and miss. Cheap doesnt necessarily mean easy either. A decent well know brand kit will set you back about 3k and this has absolutely everything you need including exhaust, everything fits first go and can for the most part easily be done in a day.

What you want will require anywhere from 120-150kw and 500-600nm of torque which will pull you plenty of hookers all day everyday reliably. This will mean at least a well built 11mm pump. And something like a garrett gtx2863, UFI 16g or 18g or a borg warner 6758.

If you dont want to go this far then an off the shelf kit with your rebuilt 11mm will probably provide you with what you need.

Makka
20th April 2016, 06:59 PM
im not sure what a kw is talk HP im old school lol
ahhh ok so even the log manifolds are rubbish ................
and the brand name kit you speak of it has the compleate exhaust in it yeah ??????
and what do you mean by a well built 11mm pump ??? extra work done on the inside to get the flow rate up ?? or just a rebuilt pump but done by someone who knows what there doing

thanks i am takeing this all on board i may run it na to start out ...... the original nissan log any good or not worth the trouble just get a after market one ??
i do appreciate your help

nissannewby
20th April 2016, 08:35 PM
kw is easy. Just times it by 1.34 roughly to get hp. KW goes with NM. HP goes with FT/LB.

The cheap log manifolds are. Radius Fabrication do a reasonable manifold for decent money. You can also keep an eye out for a factory manifold from a td42t.

Yes the kits come with complete exhaust. This one for example. Add 550 for a complete 3" exhaust. So around 3300.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DTS-TURBO-KIT-TD42-NISSAN-PATROL-GQ-GU-FORD-MAVERICK-BOLT-ON-TURBO-KIT-DIY-/281992887380?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

You can get 11mm pumps that have higher outputs than a standard item. There are only a few people who do a nice higher output 11mm.

Makka
22nd April 2016, 07:21 PM
ok sweet so i will need around 10 g to do this lol

mudski
22nd April 2016, 08:20 PM
Dont forget the intercooler. If you havent already or have one etc etc. Turbo, pump and intercooler will suck up the best part of 10k too. Depending on what you decide for that is....
Injectors too. Theres 700ish on them...
From my experience. Think of a conversion like a house reno. Have a budget and then double it. Lol
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

nissannewby
22nd April 2016, 08:58 PM
$700 for injectors is daylight robbery. Please tell me you didnt pay that much.

3300 for the dts kit with 3" exhaust.
300 for gauges.
500-2000 for an intercooler.
2-3000 for pump with injectors.

If you get handy there is no reason you couldnt do it for about 7k

mudski
22nd April 2016, 10:00 PM
Hence the ish i put on the price. I couldn't remember the exact price....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Makka
25th April 2016, 08:20 AM
well i think i found a 11mm pump on facebook waiting for a reply used but 500 dollars so there is a start.....
the rest will come as i get the cash together