PDA

View Full Version : smoky td42...

garett
16th April 2016, 07:19 PM
just want to know do all gq na td42's smoke above 2800rpm... like portable smoke screen. under load at most rpms.
not burning oil or using water. black smoke.
seems to run rich but no smoke at idle , i'm thinking injectors not spraying properly ( nothing has been touched and i'm talking for the last 25 years)
been running injector cleaner but no difference.

thanks for any info

mudski
16th April 2016, 07:28 PM
The squirters are probably due for a change by now. Hows the injector pump? Could be on its last legs.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

garett
16th April 2016, 07:41 PM
well it started leaking .... fixed that with one o ring. and no its never been out or opened. has always run some form of sulphur replacement.. but 500k km or so on the clock.

mudski
16th April 2016, 07:48 PM
Yeah she's a bit long in the tooth by the sounds of it. Its fuel related your issue i think. Over fueling due to some old fuel components.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

garett
16th April 2016, 08:01 PM
yeah i'm probably up for a new pump soon and injectors. things i didn't want to do ..... might just drive it for awhile yet and start saving.

Clunk
16th April 2016, 08:25 PM
Would it be worth checking valve clearances first?

garett
16th April 2016, 08:37 PM
ahh did that a month ago 0.35mm all of them. first time they were checked and didn't move em.
and have changed exhaust manifold more power no difference to smoke.
air filters are clean.

sangersanger
27th April 2016, 11:20 AM
Having the same problem but only 100k on the clock. No smoke at idle, shudders a bit when pressing the gas too quick.

Thinking it's because she shipped from sea-level and is now running at 1500 meters elevation?

Touses
27th April 2016, 02:20 PM
Having the same problem but only 100k on the clock. No smoke at idle, shudders a bit when pressing the gas too quick.

Thinking it's because she shipped from sea-level and is now running at 1500 meters elevation?

Hi bloke. I'll have a crack at yours.

Shuddering a bit. Not knowing if this is your first diesel,have to assume it may be.

The rev range and tourque created within that range will take a little run in period for you the driver.

It may be a case of you expecting the engine to behave in a petrol manner.

The torque in a diesel comes on differently and is less aggressive than a petrol, generally in a narrower band.

Staying, as much as possible, within the band, will greatly improve the performance, overall driveability and economy!

Diesels don't like to be babied! Drive it with a firm right foot in it's rev range. Labouring won't 'harm' them but idling for long periods will glaze the bore, where avoidable don't do it.

The sooty problem. Check out the two stroke oil thread in general nissan patrol chat. Give that a crack for a couple of tanks and monitor it.

Could be something to the sea level thing, really don't know. Upgrade your air filter? May need a hi flow filter in a lower oxygen situation? Check with the local diesel mechanic/spare parts store?

All I can come up with bloke. Hope it helps.

Cheers, Rob

sangersanger
28th April 2016, 05:24 AM
All I can come up with bloke. Hope it helps.

Cheers, Rob

Thanks Rob!

Already replaced the air filter (Which was filthy) with a new K&N. Helped a bit, but not tremendously.

The shudder is isn't so much a slow start or hesitation but happens under load. It feels the same as if a fuel filter was partially clogged in a petrol engine, just a momentary loss of power. I notice this around 3500 rpm. I assumed it was too much fuel being dumped since this and the black smoke seem to happen at the same time- assumed the power loss was from un-ignited fuel?

Next thing I'm going to check is the Altitude compensation system, if it's there, will also give the 2 stroke a shot.

garett
28th April 2016, 07:35 AM
just thought i'd update, filled up at a different servo and have much less smoke. still smokes when i give it. also did near on 7000k's of highway driving.

Robo
28th April 2016, 11:39 AM
Is it worse with bio-diesel?.
For the k's on the clock a place to start--
New fuel filter, & a set of reco injectors easy R&R at home.

While your in there, replace any old rubber fuel lines between filter n injectors etc is just good maintenance.

garett
28th April 2016, 01:08 PM
bio - diesel will not has not and will never get near it. under no circumstances i will push it home before i use that stuff. seen what it did to a rodeo ... not for me.
filers 2 year old and yeah injectors are 26 years old. so is the pump.

BigRAWesty
28th April 2016, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't say it's normal..
Mines 525,000 and sure a bit of smoke but by no means a screen
I do find the vortex and ultimate fuels feel and sound far better than regular..

Robo
30th April 2016, 03:39 PM
bio - diesel will not has not and will never get near it. under no circumstances i will push it home before i use that stuff. seen what it did to a rodeo ... not for me.
filers 2 year old and yeah injectors are 26 years old. so is the pump.

Not saying I condone Bio fuel, and I also try to avoid it if possible.
But the amount of trucks I see fill up with bio is huge, lets face it, kenworth,freight-liner etc engines alone are generally worth more than our trucks so it can't be all that bad.

I've been advised to replace fuel filter each service, so 2 yrs would be my first port of call.

garett
30th April 2016, 03:58 PM
every service seems a bit excessive... every 7000km .... ? seen the results of bio diesel in a rodeo ... pretty much needed a complete new fuel system injectors, pump, etc. not keen on dong that. every 50 000 km. don't know where he got it from could of been home made.

e-10 fuels do the same sort of thing with petrol cars that weren't designed to cope with it. been there done that. not again.

Robo
30th April 2016, 10:58 PM
Most premature engine failures 95%+ come from poor maintenance.
I agree every service is alot for a fuel filter, just passing on advise to help emphasize a point, fuel filters are often forgotten or overlooked .
I haven't done it as often as suggested, a low grade fuel like diesel would certainly need a filter change more often than not.
Whats a filter cost compared to a engine.
I recently replaced turbo, fuel filter, injectors at home & can claim this can make a notable difference by them-selves before a pump is refreshed.

Makka
1st May 2016, 10:35 AM
bio diesel these days is much better than when it first come out better refinement and they filter it to a higher micron particulate........ i was working for ruttley freight when bio first come out it was winter,the fat from the fryers was not filterd out and it would saliderfy and block up the fuel filters pumps inc'jectors cost them a mint .......long storie is the fuel supplier picked up there game and now it is fine ........ bio is ok ...... e10 that is a whole different ball game

Robo
1st May 2016, 11:08 AM
bio diesel these days is much better than when it first come out better refinement and they filter it to a higher micron particulate........ i was working for ruttley freight when bio first come out it was winter,the fat from the fryers was not filterd out and it would saliderfy and block up the fuel filters pumps inc'jectors cost them a mint .......long storie is the fuel supplier picked up there game and now it is fine ........ bio is ok ...... e10 that is a whole different ball game

This sounds spot on,
remember reading for home bio kits heated drum blanket was part of a few kits.
And some other "in car" kits / optional extra, for you to be able to run bio include a "heated" pre filter which flowed the bio past a glow plug to heat the fuel.
so a known problem indeed for home brew / poor quality bio fuel.
thats getting off subject.

Smokey= wear n tear & or over rich mixture .
fuel system input is a good place to start.
and honestly injectors and glow plugs are simple as to replace
might be a time to have a compression test done for piece of mind.

Touses
8th May 2016, 11:43 AM
Next thing I'm going to check is the Altitude compensation system, if it's there, will also give the 2 stroke a shot.

Hi bloke. How did you go with this?

sangersanger
9th May 2016, 10:10 AM
Hi bloke. How did you go with this?

The two stroke seemed to help. I can give it a little more before the black smoke comes pouring out, but still need to be sure not to drop the pedal to the floor- or anywhere near it for that matter.

Theres no Altitude Compensation System (Thankfully,) I'm at 5000 feet and this thing came from sea level so thinking about backing off the fuel a quarter turn. Though, also considering just taking it to a diesel shop.

Touses
9th May 2016, 10:22 AM
Yeah good call on the fuel pump, it could well be over fuelling! Dyno tune would probably sort it out.

Did you notice a reduction in engine noise with the 2 stroke oil?

sangersanger
9th May 2016, 10:50 AM
Yup, definitely runs smoother with the addition of the 2 stroke. Though, could also be from burning off old fuel, not sure what was in the tank when I got it.

sangersanger
14th July 2016, 06:33 AM
Just heard back from the diesel tuner. Telling me it needs a light load advance adjustment, looking at a few hours of labor to pull the pump and get it on the test bench. Not a cheap ordeal.

Smooth idle, smooth start, starts sooting at 1/4 acceleration. Almost no soot in 1st gear, if you keep it redlined and shift into 2nd it just starts belching.

Anyone out there been through this? Does it make sense with the symptoms to you?

sangersanger
22nd July 2016, 07:40 AM
Finally got it sorted. The pump was delivering 72 cc's of fuel, when it should have been down around the 50's. When they had the pump out they were a little dumbfounded as the tamper cap had never been removed. A few laps on the dyno and it's running great!

Touses
22nd July 2016, 08:12 AM
Finally got it sorted. The pump was delivering 72 cc's of fuel, when it should have been down around the 50's. When they had the pump out they were a little dumbfounded as the tamper cap had never been removed. A few laps on the dyno and it's running great!

So it was over fuelling. Good to see it sorted brother, big heaps enjoyment now eh? :D