PDA

View Full Version : Too much on my plate.

Firetrol
9th April 2016, 09:52 PM
My new Diesel Smart Intercooler with 8" fan has arrived. My plan is to block my EGR, clean old IC hoses & fit new IC & with fan. I have a quick fit boost adapter ordered to go on the IC in order to hook up a Dawes & needle valve set up coming from Mudski.
Is trying to do all of this in one go going to be too much of a challenge for someone with limited mechanical knowledge?
The only monitoring device I have on my Patrol is a scangauge 2.

Bigcol
10th April 2016, 02:08 AM
if you wait until you have everything there that you need,
then maybe contact Mudski, to make sure you DO have everything you need, and maybe ask him for which order to start with...... do this first, then this, then that
then spend the weekend doing it
S L O W L Y

take your time,
take photo's if you want - 1) for a write up for others - 2) so you have something to refer to when assembly starts

I cannot help, as I have a 4.2L, and have not needed to do any of that yet

sorry dude

Daveyboyjunior
10th April 2016, 07:56 AM
Don't forget to clean out your throttle body too firetrol!

macca
10th April 2016, 08:04 AM
if you wait until you have everything there that you need,
then maybe contact Mudski, to make sure you DO have everything you need, and maybe ask him for which order to start with...... do this first, then this, then that
then spend the weekend doing it
S L O W L Y

take your time,
take photo's if you want - 1) for a write up for others - 2) so you have something to refer to when assembly starts

I cannot help, as I have a 4.2L, and have not needed to do any of that yet

sorry dude

Looks like some good advise there.

Good on you for having a go Firetrol, no better way to learn and you will feel so satisfied in your achievements.

threedogs
10th April 2016, 09:47 AM
Helps if you know whats, what and what goes where that will help you
understand why you are fitting things in the first place.
You may even want to lay it out with cord so you can double check
before committing yourself and cutting hoses here and there.
Pretty sure Mark has great instructions, you could also Google
Chaz Yellowfoot as well.
Plenty of ppl here to help if you get stuck.

threedogs
10th April 2016, 03:18 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331826886100?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is this the boost control block you used, great bit of kit imo??
As Macca suggest if its your second car that will make it much more easier
If you get stuck I can send some pics if you like, your call ???

Hodge
10th April 2016, 03:29 PM
Everything there except the wiring for the IC fan should be "bolt off" "bolt on". Slow and steady one thing at a time and if you're stuck there this great forum I know, should be able to help you out.

Firetrol
10th April 2016, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all your comments fellas, I'm fairly meticulous so no doubt i will make it harder & take longer than what it should anyway.
TD thats the very same adapter, after a bit of research it looked to be the goods. If you do have any photos it would be a huge help, I'm much more of a visual learner than reading instructions.
It is a second car but could be a challenge if the Patrol is out for too long. Thanks again, all help appreciated.

threedogs
10th April 2016, 06:39 PM
Im thinkg you could draw it on a piece of cardboard and see how you go from there
I used some red tubing off ebay which had clips for the ends, or small cable ties
may work just as well, remember to cut he tag end off flush, save cutting the back
of your hand ,,sorry but its a pet hate of mine.