PDA

View Full Version : engine choice

billyj
7th April 2016, 08:22 PM
so as some may know my gq has a turbo tb42e in it (390k kms) currently but has its issues with boost control. at the stage where its not gonna be a full time work car any more so want to either up the boost and intercool it for a decent power increase or the curve ball is i managed to prang my vs ute last month which has a fresh 355 stroker in it which im starting to think should go in the patrol.

from the research ive done both options are gonna cost about the same amount of coin so what does everyone reckon tb42et or 355 cubes

nissannewby
7th April 2016, 08:41 PM
Is the stroker carb or injected?

taslucas
7th April 2016, 08:50 PM
Vs would be an injected 304 stroked out.
That would be a nice engine for a trol I reckon.

>>>tappin from tassie

nissannewby
7th April 2016, 08:51 PM
Vs would be an injected 304 stroked out.
That would be a nice engine for a trol I reckon.

>>>tappin from tassie

Not everyone keeps the injection though. I know they are injected from factory but people do convert them back to carb.

taslucas
7th April 2016, 08:55 PM
Yeah true but a lot less common. I reckon the 355 would have a good amount of torque for off-road

>>>tappin from tassie

nissannewby
7th April 2016, 09:29 PM
Depends on whats been put into the stroker. A well setup inline six turbo petrol will have quite a bit of torque available as well. Tough choice.

taslucas
7th April 2016, 09:41 PM
And depends on the type of driving the trol gets I guess

>>>tappin from tassie

billyj
7th April 2016, 09:45 PM
its injected and i built it for torque just a big torque monster from idle to 5krpm

billyj
7th April 2016, 09:51 PM
scat 355 crank, 9.5-10:1 comp, acl pistons, zero deck, a9l rods, acl bearings, arp main studs, crane hyd roller cam 214/214deg @050 .464" lift, lunati tie bar hyd roller lifters, reco vt heads with k line guides, positive vale seals and lt1 valve springs, stock banana manifold (which would be replaced with something better)

would turn the tires in the vs ute at 100kmh with a loaded tandem tradies trailer on the back

Ben-e-boy
8th April 2016, 01:37 AM
The biggest no from me for the 355 is the dizzy cap is at the back of the motor and thats a pain. I don't have any experience with older gm based engines in a patrol, but I did help out a mate with a vn 304 conversion on an 80 series and we ended up moving it forward just enough to get your hand on the cap. That meant the gearbox came forward a touch and the front drive shaft had to be shortened. It was extra farkin about, but so worth it just to change a spark plug lead.

It may be different in a patrol, the 355 does sound like a stout little unit though

taslucas
8th April 2016, 07:32 AM
I was looking at a GQ ute with a 304 in it only a few weeks ago but I can't picture how much room was around the dizzy. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can get s photo

>>>tappin from tassie

BigRAWesty
8th April 2016, 07:49 AM
Been thinking about this and it really is a split choice in my eyes..
Both engine will have awesome power..
Both engines in my eyes will have the same reliability risk due to the 304 being push to a very large size and the tb45 pushing the turbo..

The only real up point I can think of is the tb45 engine would be sorta stock internals so if it did go bang a simple rebuild kit will do.. instead of a probably more expensive 355 stroker kit again..

And also insurance legalities etc.. The 304 would need engineering..
The turbo tb45 will probably need it to for it to be "legal" but it'll be less of an issue imo.

Winnie
8th April 2016, 07:52 AM
Mmmmmmmmm V8 Patrol...

taslucas
8th April 2016, 12:43 PM
Mmmmmmmmm V8 Patrol...
Do it winnie.

>>>tappin from tassie

Rossco
8th April 2016, 01:14 PM
Do it winnie.

>>>tappin from tassie
Yeah do it. I'll take your turbo, intercooler and fancy airbox off your hands. . . won't be needing those. . .

threedogs
8th April 2016, 06:28 PM
The biggest no from me for the 355 is the dizzy cap is at the back of the motor and thats a pain. I don't have any experience with older gm based engines in a patrol, but I did help out a mate with a vn 304 conversion on an 80 series and we ended up moving it forward just enough to get your hand on the cap. That meant the gearbox came forward a touch and the front drive shaft had to be shortened. It was extra farkin about, but so worth it just to change a spark plug lead.

It may be different in a patrol, the 355 does sound like a stout little unit though

I found having the dizzy at the back a huge advantage .
All the ford dizzys are at the front and the first creek/river
crossing you come to will cop a cup full of water. I have no
such problems with my Chev conversion.lol

Which motor will give you the best drivability,
a lumpy V8 or on tap 6 petrol?? wish we all had your problems ha ha

Ben-e-boy
8th April 2016, 07:10 PM
I found having the dizzy at the back a huge advantage .
All the ford dizzys are at the front and the first creek/river
crossing you come to will cop a cup full of water. I have no
such problems with my Chev conversion.lol

Which motor will give you the best drivability,
a lumpy V8 or on tap 6 petrol?? wish we all had your problems ha ha

The tb has a dizzy at the front too, and not once did I refer to using a ford motor

billyj
8th April 2016, 07:54 PM
yer it really is a tough choice to have to make, beer isnt even helping....

Ben-e-boy
8th April 2016, 09:09 PM
yer it really is a tough choice to have to make, beer isnt even helping....

Whats actually wrong with tb apart from boost control

billyj
9th April 2016, 10:39 AM
nothing really its done 390k kms and i want a bit more grunt, 2 months ago it was just gonna get a w2a cooler fix the boost control and retune to run about 10-12psi, but that was when i was driving the ute daily, the curve ball was writing the ute off aus day weekend and now having a spare 355 stroker with low k's

threedogs
9th April 2016, 10:51 AM
The tb has a dizzy at the front too, and not once did I refer to using a ford motor

Yeah didnt mean anything by it it was just a comparo type thing,
I usually used a rubber band and a safeway bay if the track had plenty of water lol

Irish
9th April 2016, 10:56 AM
nothing really its done 390k kms and i want a bit more grunt, 2 months ago it was just gonna get a w2a cooler fix the boost control and retune to run about 10-12psi, but that was when i was driving the ute daily, the curve ball was writing the ute off aus day weekend and now having a spare 355 stroker with low k's

Are you running stock internals/compression on that?

billyj
9th April 2016, 05:50 PM
on the tb? the tb is dead stock. stroker specs are somethwere on the first page of this thread