PDA

View Full Version : VDC button not working.

Benno88
6th April 2016, 04:08 PM
First of all sorry if this is already covered but i cant find it anywhere.
Basically my VDC button on my 2012 Y61 patrol deosnt work.
the VDC will switch off automatically when in low range and the light on the dash also confirms that it is off when in L4, and i can also feel that it is off.
however in 2wd or H4 the button does nothing. i have tried pressing it, holding it down...
I have had a few close calls when all power is suddenly lost when in H4, and it is driving me nuts always having to drop to L4 all the time.

Any suggestions?
Cheers

Yendor
6th April 2016, 05:36 PM
Has it ever worked correctly? Have you checked that the switch is plugged in?

threedogs
6th April 2016, 05:52 PM
Hello Ben and welcome to the Forum, any chance you could pop over to the intros and tell
us a bit about yourself before asking questions, just polite and all .No harm done and I see
Yendor has you fixed

Benno88
6th April 2016, 10:27 PM
i bought the car second hand and seem to remember it working when i first got it and took it for a test drive, however when i next took it off road and since then it hasnt worked. my next job is to pull the centre console apart and check the wiring. i just wasn't looking forward to undoing all the screws / trying to find them all. hopefully on the Patrol it is easier than other cars i have owned, as usually they never go in the same way again and are usually a little loose after

Yendor
7th April 2016, 09:55 AM
Does the switch light up when the headlights are turned on?. If it does light up then the switch is connected.

To remove the console. Remove the screws on either side at the front. Remove the ashtray, remove the screw under the ashtray. Gently lift up the console from the ashtray end. I normally do this by putting my fingers in the hole were the ashtray was and gently pull up.

I find it easier to remove the console with the transfer level in neutral, handbrake on and just move the T-bar selector as needed. Once you start lifting up the back of the console you will need to disconnected the electrical connector for the ashtray light. From here you should be able to get to the back of the switch without having to remove the console fully.

Benno88
7th April 2016, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Yendor;669600]Does the switch light up when the headlights are turned on?.

no there is no light when the headlights are on, although doesnt the VDC light only display on the dash when it is turned off? or does it have something else display when on and driving normally around town?

Yendor
7th April 2016, 10:18 AM
The switch should light up when the headlights/dash lights are on like all the other switches. If it's not then it's possible that the switch is disconnected. Possibly someone has had the console out and has forgotten to reconnect it.

Yes when the VDC is switched off the warning light should come on in the dash.

Benno88
7th April 2016, 01:47 PM
Cheers Yendor, i pulled the centre console out and yes the switch was not connected. really simple and feeling a little stupid not doing that first... positive is that i found out the change section also has a LED inside which wasnt also connected. tested the LED and the switch and both now work perfectly, and i now know how easy it is to get in there to add more switches when i need. Front Locker, rear work lights, etc etc. :)

Cheers

Yendor
7th April 2016, 02:49 PM
No worries mate. Glad I could help. Let the mods begin :)