PDA

View Full Version : Can I expect overboosting or any problems if I install a 3" exhaust?

barbz
4th April 2016, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

I have a near new CRD and O'm looking to improve power and economy by upgrading the exhaust.

This is a daily driver and unlike my previous GU I'm not keen on installing gauges, valves etc.

Can I safely throw on a 3" exhaust or am I better off going with the Beaudesert 2.75" system?

Also for those of you who have upgraded (legalities aside) have you installed a system with or without the converter?

Cheers
Paul

Hodge
4th April 2016, 11:30 AM
Hi Paul.
I had the 2.75 Beaudesert on my CRD. Transformed the car. But definitely had to tame the boost with a dawes valve, as I easily limp moded after exhaust was fitted. So I can only imagine the 3" would be even prone to overboosting.
In saying that I know some people on the forum run 3", and hopefully some of them will chime in on this.
As for the cat, well legally you have to have one ... If you're going with Beaudesert I can't remember whether I was asked to cat or not to cat... Maybe they don't even have a cat-less system as they know those cars have to legally have one.

threedogs
4th April 2016, 11:33 AM
The best option from reading here is the 2.75 exhaust for some reason it suits the CRD like a glove
At least buy a Scan-gauge best bit of kit ever for a CRD,
leave the cat in you can buy free flowing numbers, I have one fitted but I have a Di.

Ronin
4th April 2016, 01:02 PM
I installed a 3" exhaust and never had a problem.

barbz
4th April 2016, 01:25 PM
Which brand or system Ronin?

threedogs
4th April 2016, 01:45 PM
Remember to that biggest is not always the best when it comes to exhaust systems

Ronin
4th April 2016, 02:29 PM
Which brand or system Ronin?

I went with genie performance 3" stainless exhaust.
http://genieperformance.com.au/product/nissan-gu-patrol-3l-td-wagon-2000-2011-exhaust/

threedogs
4th April 2016, 05:18 PM
Have a talk with a few about a free flowing or sports cat in your package.
Dont forget a new cat will come with an EGT bung already fitted

mudski
4th April 2016, 10:45 PM
Remember to that biggest is not always the best when it comes to exhaust systems

Thats just a marketing ply by Beudesert to sell more pipes I reckon. I spoke with a zorst mob who do a fair few of CRD's, Patrols and all those 4 door utes and he reckons 3inch is the best and you wouldn't even notice the 1/4 inch difference. But for the, op. Keep the CAT. Get a metallic filled high flow cat. Not ceramic filled. As most of the cheaper systems will use. Big fines if your caught without a cat. Meow!

barbz
5th April 2016, 10:41 AM
Thats just a marketing ply by Beudesert to sell more pipes I reckon. I spoke with a zorst mob who do a fair few of CRD's, Patrols and all those 4 door utes and he reckons 3inch is the best and you wouldn't even notice the 1/4 inch difference. But for the, op. Keep the CAT. Get a metallic filled high flow cat. Not ceramic filled. As most of the cheaper systems will use. Big fines if your caught without a cat. Meow!

Im happy with whatever size provided I dont have to stuff around with a dawes/boost gauge etc.

threedogs
5th April 2016, 10:59 AM
Im happy with whatever size provided I dont have to stuff around with a dawes/boost gauge etc.

Again owning a CRD your best mate will be a Scan gauge 2
especially if your engine check light keeps coming on with the
bigger exhaust.

barbz
5th April 2016, 11:03 AM
Again owning a CRD your best mate will be a Scan gauge 2
especially if your engine check light keeps coming on with the
bigger exhaust.

Thankyou - have one installed.

I am more concerned with the idea of limp mode rather than clearing a error message.

If I had to go through the dawes/needle valve setup, could I rely on the boost data from the scanguage?

threedogs
5th April 2016, 11:57 AM
You can gain quite a bit more get up and go with a dawes/needle fitted,
and an EGR block,
My Bad the check engine light comes on with EGR blocked thus
the need for a 10mm hole to trick the ECU its still working

barbz
5th April 2016, 12:06 PM
Safe with the EGR - I had issues with "fluttering" at idle and Nissans fix was to block the EGR for me with a 8mm hole - all covered by warranty :)

Any thoughts on the accuracy of the scangauges's boost reading over a dedicated gauge?

threedogs
5th April 2016, 12:50 PM
I have an ECU-Talk on mine and when comparing both gauges Id say its very accurate

TheCaller
5th July 2016, 01:58 PM
barbz- did you have to do the Dawes valve install?