PDA

View Full Version : issue with an exhaust flange - old GQ

john316
1st April 2016, 12:13 PM
anyone ever had an exhaust flange gasket spit out sideways? I got noisy driving home the other night and when I inspected the exhaust system to find out why the flange gasket was blown out to the side... everything else is OK. I've seen the old donuts wear and come loose but I've never seen a gasket blow out like this...

John

dom14
1st April 2016, 09:18 PM
It must have come loose and cooked the gasket constantly. A matter of time before it cooks it enough to break into pieces.

mudnut
1st April 2016, 11:39 PM
I have just had the same problem with the original exhaust manifold and a brand new engine pipe spit out a gasket like that. It turned out to be a a bent flange due to some faulty welding in the new pipe.Sometimes over torquing the nuts causes the flange to warp. The result is the same. Get a straight edge and check the mating surfaces of both parts. An exhaust repairer should be able to repair it for less than you think.

john316
2nd April 2016, 10:56 AM
I have just had the same problem with the original exhaust manifold and a brand new engine pipe spit out a gasket like that. It turned out to be a a bent flange due to some faulty welding in the new pipe.Sometimes over torquing the nuts causes the flange to warp. The result is the same. Get a straight edge and check the mating surfaces of both parts. An exhaust repairer should be able to repair it for less than you think.

Nothing new here to suggest over-tightening, more like old age of the parts in question, if they're not the original bits they are at least 100,000 km old. I am currently working on an old house and when its sold I just might do a 2.5 in system to allow the old girl to breathe a bit easier. Recently saw a how-to on making your own flange gaskets from sheet aluminium - pity I am short on time atm...

dom14
2nd April 2016, 02:58 PM
In my case, it has improved a fair bit after I started using exhaust gasket sealant with the flange gasket.
I still go under the car once a month or so and make sure the bolts don't come lose.

mudnut
2nd April 2016, 04:06 PM
I fixed it by getting my money back for the engine pipe, and fitted a set of headers. That got rid of the join made the engine sound better and got a 10% power increase as a bonus.:)

john316
2nd April 2016, 04:09 PM
I fixed it by getting my money back for the engine pipe, and fitted a set of headers. That got rid of the join made the engine sound better and got a 10% power increase as a bonus.:)

did the header affect the turbo or is yours naturally aspirated?

mudnut
2nd April 2016, 04:46 PM
Rb30 Carby NA.

dom14
3rd April 2016, 01:06 PM

What brand of headers did you go for?

threedogs
3rd April 2016, 01:50 PM
Nothing new here to suggest over-tightening, more like old age of the parts in question, if they're not the original bits they are at least 100,000 km old. I am currently working on an old house and when its sold I just might do a 2.5 in system to allow the old girl to breathe a bit easier. Recently saw a how-to on making your own flange gaskets from sheet aluminium - pity I am short on time atm...

I wonder how much it would cost to cut one from copper
Might speak to the Laser cutter about it.?