PDA

View Full Version : Average Transmission temp

Battleready76
29th March 2016, 11:51 PM
Gents
I contacted scangauge to get info on getting tranny temp on my scangauge I received an email saying they will send me a new gauge with all new updated firmware with the tranny temp engine oil temp ,, and a few others at this stage I have no idea what they are used for
So the question is what is a good temp range for a auto gearbox in a gu 2013
It looks like engine temp has issues as it states 50'c and hasn't moved but the tranny is around 125' but not sure if it's reading in Fahrenheit ?? But it defiantly is reading something ?
I'm quite surprised I scored a free scangauge2 now I have 2 :thumbup:

threedogs
30th March 2016, 09:19 AM
That 125 degree reading may well be in fahrenheit,
Usually most gauges are meant to read at half of whats
available, in other words straight up and down

lhurley
30th March 2016, 03:15 PM
If it's 125 f then that's good. Cold actually. If it's 125 c you need to either adjust your driving style or have your auto checked. 125 isn't going to kill your auto but it's getting up there.

For the record my auto will usually sit around 90deg C measured from the oil coming out of the torque converter (hottest part)

Kimbo63
30th March 2016, 03:50 PM
You should aim for 80 deg C mate after that the ATF starts to break down rapidly they say for every 10 deg C over 80 deg it halfs the life of the ATF
Good read here on autos http://www.thetransmissioncentre.com.au/general-information/
Sorry it every 15 deg C over 80 deg

Battleready76
30th March 2016, 05:24 PM
Well driven around a bit to and from work this morning cold read 147 f? C? the bloke in America that programmed it said it is all testing at the moment and no guarantee it's going to work,,,, I'm a bit seceptical that it's reading right but a free scangauge is not to bad I suppose

Chubba
30th March 2016, 08:17 PM
For the record my auto will usually sit around 90deg C measured from the oil coming out of the torque converter (hottest part)

Is that 90°c at highway driving or around town? I can get mine to sit at around 90°c on highway but around town after half hour driving (in other words full operating temp) it fluctuates between 100 to 125. And that is measured coming out of TC.

lhurley
30th March 2016, 08:28 PM
Is that 90°c at highway driving or around town? I can get mine to sit at around 90°c on highway but around town after half hour driving (in other words full operating temp) it fluctuates between 100 to 125. And that is measured coming out of TC.

Highway usually sits around 80-90 around town it's about 10 deg higher. The hottest I have ever seen it get since fitting a gauge 2 years ago is 110. And that was dead of summer 40deg days middle of the day.

I drive around town with overdrive OFF up until around 80-90km/h. Highway speeds I will coast with OD ON but then turn OD OFF when going up hills/overtaking.

I should note I have a manual radiator and my auto cooler is an aftermarket one that's about A4 paper size. Also my auto only has about 45-50k on it. Was rebuilt 2 years ago by the guys that wrote that article linked a few posts above.

jff45
30th March 2016, 09:53 PM
The factory trans cooler on the TB45E is really small and struggles to keep temps under 100C in traffic on hot days.
The ZD30 factory cooler is over twice the size.
I mounted a big Davies Craig cooler in series with the factory cooler and I now rarely see as high as 90 in traffic.
On the highway with TC manually locked I get temps between 60 - 70

I have the temp sensor on the trans outlet banjo so I get hottest reading.
Using synthetic fluid lessens the risk when temps rise.