PDA

View Full Version : 4.8 Towing issue...

alterastro
29th March 2016, 07:53 PM
Hi Guys. I've just come back from a weekend off-roading and had a couple of issues I hope you can help with...

There was a lot of water (river crossings, deep puddles etc) throughout the weekend along with lots of rock crawling and mud too! One morning after lots of said water etc she started ok, but I had an engine management light and no power. Luckily I had a code reader which showed P0134 and P0154. I cleared the codes and all was well. The next day was fine and the day after fine untill lots more water. It was fine until I turned the engine off and started it again and then got the codes again. I cleared the codes and all was good again. I know the codes relate to the Lambda sensors so will check wiring for water ingress etc when I get chance, but something else happened which I don't know if it is related or not...

A Land Rover travelling with us broke down (there's a surprise). I had to tow it quite a long way, through water, over rough terrain etc. All was fine until I reached tarmac and a very steep uphill section (1 in 4 or 25%). At this point my Patrol was struggling and then if I pushed the accelerator any more than a tiny bit it started surging - rev counter was flicking up to 2000 revs and back to idle - up and down with the Patrol jerking accordingly. I couldn't continue and we swapped to a 2.8 Patrol which had no issues.

Being a 4.8 I would assume I would pull the Landie effortlessly, so something was wrong. As soon as the load was removed it was fine. I eventually traveled the 200 miles home without issue.

So has anyone experienced this before and any ideas what is wrong? I should mention that it is LPG converted, but was out of gas so was running on petrol.

Cheers

Nick

https://youtu.be/ftSVLjgIJuk

Bigcol
29th March 2016, 10:21 PM
sounds to me like the computer was not getting correct info from your O2 sensors, and was retarding the motor and not allowing you to "over " rev it

threedogs
30th March 2016, 10:04 AM
What can I say water is a 4x4s worse nightmare,
Id be giving all the exposed terminals battery etc
a spray with a product called Lanotec that will protect it
from future water ingress. Hindsight yes but just
something I did with my other dual fuel 4x4 and
I did over 400k in that.
As for your problem It sounds water related from
what you're telling us check all terminals and dry them out