PDA

View Full Version : Show us handy tools in yor box

Kimbo63
29th March 2016, 11:16 AM
Hi all sort I would start this to share some of the handy tools collected by all could come in handy to see what in your toolbox 6579365794
1. Long flex head ratchet scanners handy as 2. Mini air saw worth it's weight in gold

threedogs
29th March 2016, 11:49 AM
Big socket for the hubs, test light, multi meter.
1/2",3/8" and 1/4" sockets, brako bar 600mm
cable tie tool full set of rachett ring spanners
You name it I'll have it some where,lol

Kimbo63
29th March 2016, 12:06 PM
Big socket for the hubs, test light, multi meter.
1/2",3/8" and 1/4" sockets, brako bar 600mm
cable tie tool full set of rachett ring spanners
You name it I'll have it some where,lol
Where is the snap shot TD ? Maybe of the cable tie tool would be handy

threedogs
29th March 2016, 12:27 PM
Here you go the cable tie tool is top of the range from the airport [QANTAS]
the rivnut tool is invaluable makes any job neat. Made a pact with my 2 BFFs
that any time someone brought a tool to let the others know so we dont double
up. works a treat
Plus I still have all my tools from when I was a sewing machine technicion.
I love my tools and probably have too many if thats possible, have a complete
range of air tool a big pedestal drill an 8" grinder with buff and wire wheel
plus another 6" with linisher attachment, plus a Mig, arc and inverter welder.
Old story need a bigger shed, lol
And dont forget all my blacksmith gear, anvil ,forge etc

Throbbinhood
29th March 2016, 12:51 PM
3d, what am I missing with the cable tie tool? I mean, my hands seem to do the job?

threedogs
29th March 2016, 01:03 PM
When you have to do a lot and to a std{specification} when you use the tool all will be as tight as each other, plus they cut the tie flush
so you don't have a piece left that cuts the begeezus out of the back of your hand.

ova50
29th March 2016, 02:55 PM
I have a range of wire crimping tools that I wouldn't be without.
Use my Torque wrenches quite a bit.
I have a couple of useless tools as well, one being the right handed shifter.:wink:

dom14
29th March 2016, 03:30 PM
Hi all sort I would start this to share some of the handy tools collected by all could come in handy to see what in your toolbox 6579365794
1. Long flex head ratchet scanners handy as 2. Mini air saw worth it's weight in gold

Hi mate,
Can I ask you where you got that "Mini Air Saw" thing? An internet link or something would be great.
Thanx

nissannewby
29th March 2016, 03:30 PM
Snap on....

Probably 300+ dollars there

threedogs
29th March 2016, 04:04 PM
I just brought a warren brown 1/2" drive bent arm tension wrench.$60 which is a bargain
I was working as motor cycle mechanic in Alice and some low life stole all my tools
so Ive vowed to replace them when I can. I have a pretty good workshop includes a cold cut saw
as well. could make just about anything I reckon.

Kimbo63
29th March 2016, 04:52 PM
Hi mate,
Can I ask you where you got that "Mini Air Saw" thing? An internet link or something would be great.
Thanx
Hey Dom got it from the Snapon man I had an earlier version but wore it out very handy indeed

Kimbo63
29th March 2016, 05:00 PM
Snap on....

You're probably right there mate can't remember exactly what I payed for it but when the old one went I replaced it quick smart spent all my working life in field service for Komatsu so relied on having all sorts of tools

dom14
29th March 2016, 10:39 PM
Snap on....

Of course! :). It was staring at my face. :D
Bloody expensive, but that's how much you pay for life time warranty. :)

Kimbo63
30th March 2016, 04:41 AM
Of course! :). It was staring at my face. :D
Bloody expensive, but that's how much you pay for life time warranty. :)
Hi Dom I never looked at it like that but this tool
Has saved me heaps of time and payed for it self many times over but as I said part of my trade so only looking at what it has given me back

threedogs
30th March 2016, 09:06 AM
Personally I think Snapon are grossly overpriced, there are plenty of brand names out there with life time gaurantees
My mate broke a small brako bar [sidchrome] 30yrs old or so took it to Repco no questions asked swapped it over.
I have had no problems with my kingkrome gear they did give me an up dated 1/4 drive rachett, even though the old was still good.

dom14
30th March 2016, 01:48 PM
Hey Dom got it from the Snapon man I had an earlier version but wore it out very handy indeed

Thanx mate.
I would have to look for a budget version of that. Pretty handy tool for sure. Combined with a good 12V air pump/compressor, small reserve tank & right fittings, these mini air tools can be pretty handy on the road.
You just gave me a brilliant idea. :D

dom14
30th March 2016, 01:52 PM
Personally I think Snapon are grossly overpriced, there are plenty of brand names out there with life time garantees
My mate broke a small brako bar [sidchrome] 30yrs old or so took it to Repco no questions asked swapped it over.
I have had no problems with my kingkrome gear they did give me an up dated 1/4 drive rachett, even though the old was still good.

They are good, but I reckon you can get equally good German made tools for less price, except the lifetime warranty.
Snap on is expensive, not just because the higher quality, 'cos they replace them on warranty most of the time.
Personally, I tend to avoid expensive tools, 'cos being a backyard fiddler, I don't need tools that good, 'cos I don't wear them out that quick.
Some el cheapo chinese made tools tend to last for a while in my case. I also buy cheaper ones, so I can modify & fiddle with them without suffering a big loss. I buy standard tools, then cut, bend and weld them to suit my needs. I won't be able to do that with expensive tools.

dom14
30th March 2016, 02:15 PM
And dont forget all my blacksmith gear, anvil ,forge etc

I like blacksmith gear mate, especially that mammoth iron anvil. Too bad, I can't use something like that in here.
Time to move out of suburbs. :)

threedogs
30th March 2016, 02:20 PM
When I first brought my other 4x4 and planning a trip to Birdsville
and surrounds every one said dont buy top of the range, but the
best on offer so I brought Kmart Choice brand, The idea was it only had to work once
that was in 1992 and here I am today and still have them best socket set ever, ha ha

Tools are a personal thing though I remember everyone lining up for the Snap On truck to arrive.
each to their own, Williams make a great spanner as well

4bye4
30th March 2016, 02:22 PM
My favourite tool for off road. Never used them off road yet but just like to have them there. Use them a lot in the shop and at home.

Kimbo63
30th March 2016, 03:02 PM
Personally I think Snapon are grossly overpriced, there are plenty of brand names out there with life time gaurantees
Don't forget TD if you break your only breaker bar out in the middle of nowhere where are you going to get it swapped? You just can't break a Snapon bar with your bare hands

lhurley
30th March 2016, 03:08 PM

If you use them quite often good tools are definitely worth it. I have a sidchrome ratchet and a snap on ratchet, sidchrome gets jammed, doesn't have as many teeth on the ratchet and is wobbly. It's nearly new too. Snap on one is hands down significantly better plus has more teeth on the ratchet so makes it much nicer to use in tight areas.

I have a few other brands of tools and you definitely get what you pay for. Will also round less fasteners with quality tools.

GeeYou8
30th March 2016, 09:12 PM
You can also get ratchet overhaul kits for the Snap-On, the same ones are used in their torque wrenches.
They are the only ones I know of with 1/8" open end spanner, also bought 5/32" & 3/16" all around $30 each.
Their ratchet screwdrivers are the only ones to get, the #2 phillips bit outlasts any other.
Graham

macca
31st March 2016, 08:55 AM

Bought a set of Sidchrome sockets when doing my apprenticeship in 1974, busted a few bits over the years, ratchet handle and some sockets.

They have been replaced without question. Recently busted a socket, the bloke behind the counter had a good look to see if it had been used in a rattle gun.

No sign so replaced on the spot.

Not bad after 42 years. Didn't have a receipt either!

Buy once Buy right! "Canna hand a man a granda spanna" or something like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4upxZ_zOs

Old Reliable, sitting under a bench in the cave, been there for years.
Cost $18.00 in '74, subsidised as factory was going metric.
And another I bought for work, everthing in one case. It is really handy, so good it goes out back with me on the desert trips.
Cost $124.00 in 2104! (Supercheap Autos special)

Heres another interesting Sidchrome ratchet. Model 13914.
Works as a conventional ratchet, also the handle twists either way and tightens or undoes what ever the head is set at. So in a tight spot just twist the handle not swing the arm IYKWIM.
$5.00 in a dead stock bin at Bunnings. Too interesting to resist!

Also have some Snap-on stuff from our racing days, small profile tools for tight spots and tough as. But bends the card when buying it though.

AGman
31st March 2016, 09:48 AM

Probably the three handiest tools I have in my arsenal at the moment.

I have some Snap-On flare-nut wrenches and some screw drivers Ive had for ever...it's nice stuff.

threedogs
31st March 2016, 01:08 PM
Don't forget TD if you break your only breaker bar out in the middle of nowhere where are you going to get it swapped? You just can't break a Snapon bar with your bare hands

Put it the hands of a farmer who will more than likely put a piece of 3ft pipe over it to get a bit of extra leverage
Ill gaurantee you it will break. but thats not under normal use.
Plenty of better tool than Snapon out there Williams are a fantasic tool feel great in the hand.
Maybe Im a bit anti America.but I still think they are well over priced compared to other tools
with the same warranty etc.

threedogs
31st March 2016, 01:12 PM
Bought a set of Sidchrome sockets when doing my apprenticeship in 1974, busted a few bits over the years, ratchet handle and some sockets.

They have been replaced without question. Recently busted a socket, the bloke behind the counter had a good look to see if it had been used in a rattle gun.

No sign so replaced on the spot.

Not bad after 42 years. Didn't have a receipt either!

Buy once Buy right! "Canna hand a man a granda spanna" or something like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4upxZ_zOs

Old Reliable, sitting under a bench in the cave, been there for years.
Cost $18.00 in '74, subsidised as factory was going metric.
And another I bought for work, everthing in one case. It is really handy, so good it goes out back with me on the desert trips.
Cost $124.00 in 2104! (Supercheap Autos special)

Heres another interesting Sidchrome ratchet. Model 13914.
Works as a conventional ratchet, also the handle twists either way and tightens or undoes what ever the head is set at. So in a tight spot just twist the handle not swing the arm IYKWIM.
$5.00 in a dead stock bin at Bunnings. Too interesting to resist!

Also have some Snap-on stuff from our racing days, small profile tools for tight spots and tough as. But bends the card when buying it though.

Can NEVER have too many tools EH

nissannewby
31st March 2016, 01:21 PM
Have you or do you own any snap on tools?

threedogs
31st March 2016, 01:40 PM
I've used them a few times, just thought it was doing the same job as say a Kingchrome smooth edition.
Sorry Matt just cant justify the high price, It may be different for you as your stuffed without tools, as
tools are your life. Im talking from say Hodge or Mudski and Co where we use them fairly often but not all
the time like you and others if that makes any sense
PS been locked in the truck a few times lol
Have used them but dont own any

macca
31st March 2016, 02:52 PM
Had a look for Williams as I had not heard of them, found this...
http://toolguyd.com/snap-on-industrial-williams-bahco-tools/

Stropp
31st March 2016, 03:32 PM
3d, what am I missing with the cable tie tool? I mean, my hands seem to do the job?

my hand does the job too but i prefer a woman :)

threedogs
31st March 2016, 03:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with Snap on tools just the price seems a tad high.
Maybe all the other brands from America and Germany have ceased production

threedogs
31st March 2016, 03:40 PM
my hand does the job too but i prefer a woman :)

No doubt you have never had to cable tie a loom the length of a Boeing 383
Thats about 80mtrs of wire loom and with a cable tie required every 30mm
a cable tie tool will do each cable tie the same pressure, and cut off neatly. Its the cut off bit
I hate most,, lost count the amount of times Ive cut the back of my hand because of tags ends
being cut with side cutters or plyers and on an angle. engine bays mainly

Stropp
31st March 2016, 03:46 PM
Personally I think Snapon are grossly overpriced.

my brother is a snapon agent so no they are not overpriced :)

Stropp
31st March 2016, 04:04 PM
a cable tie tool will do each cable tie the same pressure, and cut off neatly. Its the cut off bit
I hate most,, lost count the amount of times Ive cut the back of my hand because of tags ends

aah think you missed the point mate.

threedogs
31st March 2016, 04:04 PM
Not to you anyway lol, would love to see the mark up on them
from wholesale, cost etc

I miss a lot of things mate nothing new to me,

macca
31st March 2016, 04:38 PM
aah think you missed the point mate.

Pissfunny:cheers:

nissannewby
31st March 2016, 05:54 PM
my brother is a snapon agent so no they are not overpriced :)

Interesting....

Might have to go through my snap on book and get some part numbers to you.

AGman
31st March 2016, 06:37 PM
For really heavy work like a diesel mechanic, I don't think you can go past Snap-On spanners, sockets and their related gear are so tough. Their chrome plating is awesome but your hands need to be totally oil-free to grip them. Makes it tough for really heavy work.

Hatzet, Stahlwillie, Gedore and other German gear tends to have a non-polished, matte plated finish. I find them a lot easier to hang onto with car and bike work. They also seem to be smaller, cutting out any unnecessary meat in their forging which makes them lighter and easier to handle on light work. Hazet could probably take it up to Snap-On on outright strength but I don't know about the rest.

When using screwdrivers all day every day for years, Snap-On tips lasted the longest but their handles were not really suited for electronic work. PB Swiss drivers are in my pack at the moment and their tips are lasting quite well. I like the constant innovation the Germans/Swiss put into their gear.

For those with the old crappy Sidchrome ratchets, they have a new range styled on the Facom (French company now also owned by Stanley Black & Decker) ratchets which are heaps better than the old ones which they still sell in their cheap sets. On the 1/2" drive ratchets they are 72 teeth as opposed to 36 on the old banger!

nissannewby
31st March 2016, 06:40 PM
Koken are also a top brand. Jap made.

AGman
31st March 2016, 06:53 PM
I think Snap-On are so expensive because in the US there is a "movement" who actually hunt down broken and worn out Snap-On tools so they can get them traded for new ones. Someone has to pay for these clowns and is usually the honest customer.

Sidchrome and Kinchrome can get away with an unconditional guarantee here because most of us don't bother taking them back. I have broken heaps of Kinchrome and never bothered to take them back, Ive always seen it as an opportunity to replace that tool with something decent! :smile:

GeeYou8
31st March 2016, 09:55 PM
I think Snap-On are so expensive because in the US there is a "movement" who actually hunt down broken and worn out Snap-On tools so they can get them traded for new ones. Someone has to pay for these clowns and is usually the honest customer.
:smile:
I have heard of people that do the same with Tupperware.
Graham

Cuppa
31st March 2016, 10:18 PM
My favourite tool at the moment. Dunno how I ever managed without it.

GeeYou8
31st March 2016, 10:23 PM

Some call it Cessna rash, comes up better with a bit of Skydrol (non flammable hydraulic oil that burns skin on contact).
Flush cut Lindstrom side cutters do a great job on cable ties, more flush than the gun.
I have to tie a new loom into a thrust reverser, teflon insulated nickel plated wire , heat resistant tying lace & clove hitches (no cable ties), covered in Skydrol hours of fun.
Graham

Kimbo63
7th April 2016, 06:45 PM
Another handy tool test light with built in volt meter