PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 CRD Intercooler Issues

Firetrol
28th March 2016, 01:51 PM
G'day all, I've had my 2010 3.0L CRD for a few months & with the help of the forum I'm trying to insure it gives me many years to come.
On advice of the forum I did an external inspection of the standard intercooler. There is definately some oily black residue coming out where the crimping join is on one end & underneath. The leaking doesn't seem huge but still evident. How urgent is replacing it?
After looking into a replacement IC I read about Tube & Fin or Bar & Plate cores. Are either of these better or worse than the other? I am only after a standard size replacement as I don't have the $1200 to only throw at an upgrade. Any advice on what I should be looking for?
Will I be much better off with a fan unit included?.
All advice appreciated. Cheers

Hodge
28th March 2016, 02:00 PM
Hey mate. My 2009 CRD was in the same state, the crimped ends leaked even under standard boost. I got a diesel smart unit. It was $450 from memory, exchange basis unit. It worked really well, no more leaks and more importantly kept the EGT's very tame, much better than the factory unit.

http://www.supercarperformance.com.au/product/14/intercoolers

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65760&stc=1http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65761&stc=1

Bigcol
28th March 2016, 02:26 PM
as Hodge said, the Diesel Smart ones look like a good buy
I have been told of others getting the cheap Chinese ones having problems, but I think they have been sorted now..........

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R9.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xin tercooler+.TRS0&_nkw=intercooler+patrol&_sacat=0

Bigcol
28th March 2016, 02:56 PM
also,
yes it needs replacing
but
it is ok to use the Patrol still until you get it sorted,
once you have the new IC in, you will feel and notice the difference

threedogs
28th March 2016, 03:10 PM
Dont waste your money on a CC intercooler Bang for buck the the improvment is not there.
You could like some fit a larger scoop to keep the EGTs down.
I to have a Diesel Smart tigged IC, good service to boot.
I would invest in getting some gauges fitted like a boost and an EGT gauge
just to let you know whats going on.

Firetrol
28th March 2016, 08:12 PM
Beauty thanks for all the advice fellas. I've sent off for a quote from Diesel Smart. I had looked at some of the cheaper ones available but I'd much prefer to go on advice of others & spend a few more dollars.
Threedogs your scoop looks bloody good by the way, I am looking to get gauges, just wanted to make sure I was fixing issues before accessorizing.
Thanks again, new to the Patrol game & need all the help I can get.

threedogs
30th March 2016, 03:48 PM
The thinking behind fitting Gauges,,, first is so any mods you do,, like say larger exhaust
You can see a change to your boost or EGTs, then you can adjust your Dawes and needle if fitted.
Plus if going up a long hill and your EGT climb you can see and back off to lower them, well thats why mine
are fitted. Now all mods are done I can now see if anything is out of the norm and investigate it.

Patrol-Guy
12th April 2016, 08:09 PM
just looking at the Diesel Smart IC's on their website it shows they come with some sort of thematic fan. To replace the original IC with one of these is there enough room for the fan without making extra room?

JoeG
12th April 2016, 08:56 PM
No problem fitting a I/C with Fan
My fan runs all the time as I got the power for it from the wiper motor
So comes on with ignition and works a treat
Regards
Joe

Hodge
12th April 2016, 09:05 PM
just looking at the Diesel Smart IC's on their website it shows they come with some sort of thematic fan. To replace the original IC with one of these is there enough room for the fan without making extra room?

This is an interesting question. When I bought my Diesel Smart IC. It was circa 2013 and was told a fan won't fit on a CRD...
Design must have changed or something.

Firetrol
13th April 2016, 07:52 AM
Mine has been delivered, DS assured me the fan fits as standard. I'm yet to put it in though as I'm awaiting a few more pieces to the puzzle, so that i can do EGR, IC, dawes & needle valve.

Ryank
25th April 2016, 08:47 AM
wont a catch can catch the oil?

threedogs
25th April 2016, 04:31 PM
Sorry Im not a fan of these 7/9" fans under the IC, I think when everything is hot
a fan isnt going to cool it much . There is a thread on this subject and the majority
thought bang for buck it wasnt worth the effort of fitting one,
You really should have a search and read that thread first before wasting $$$$$$.lol

mudski
27th April 2016, 10:04 AM
wont a catch can catch the oil?

Yes a catch can will catch the oil. But if the IC is leaking, a catch can wont help that...