PDA

View Full Version : 2000 ZD30 blowing blue smoke

pjhsv
28th March 2016, 01:33 PM
So I recently bought a 2000 GU ZD30 manual. Absolutely love it.

However....I went to head out to Mt Disappointment last weekend, and I made it to about 20 mins on freeway when the engine lost power, and started blowing blue smoke. The amount of smoke was ridiculous - looked like a I had a bushfire attached to my towbar.

Anyway, a combination of limping it up some of the steeper hills, and getting a tow from a 2.4D Hilux had me home. Spoke to a friend who is a diesel mechanic, and he said it sounds exactly like a blown turbo. Started pulling off all of the turbo pipes, intercooler etc, and everything is soaked in oil. Oil around the exhaust at the back of the car too.

I drained the oil today, and was fearful of seeing small bits of piston 3 and 4, but everything is perfectly clean, no signs of any metal at all on the sump plug, so I have some renewed hope that it's just a turbo, and not the engine itself.

My question is, is there any point even trying to rebuild the turbos with new gasket and bearing kits, or are they just a dispose and replace job? What seals are most likely to go bang that will cause oil to go through teh intake?

I haven't managed to get the thing out yet (after pulling off all of the heater hoses, I realised that I should be able to get it off after taking off the actuator on the front, which will allow me to slide the heat shield forwards....hopefully.. ;)

One last thing... I also noticed that I now have oil on the drivers side of the engine, towards the front. There definitely weren't any oil leaks there before this, but I can't really see where it's coming from. Not sure if this is coincidence, if I've just managed to leak oil all over the engine as I was taking parts off (I don't think so), if it's symptomatic of a greater problem, or lastly, if the oil in the inlet has caused another seal or gasket to fail (head gasket overpressured and blew from oil in the cylinder??)

Rossco
28th March 2016, 02:02 PM
Far out doesn't sound good unfortunatly. Guess a compression test should tell what's going on. If it is the just the turbo (hopefully), have a second hand one here off Roofys motor that he could possibly be interested in selling.

BillsGU
28th March 2016, 02:36 PM
As far as I am aware that particular model year turbo is not repairable. It's a throw away. I replaced mine last year at around $1000 including labour. You may have oil on other parts of the engine because the oil from the turbo would have gone into the intercooler and you most likely have intercooler leaks.

threedogs
28th March 2016, 03:21 PM
Take the engine cover off and check you havent blown a hose off sounds like you have.
it will be the blue hose in the pic, as it happened to me too
These mighty ZD30 TD motors dont like being overfilled with oil
keep it just below the top mark.

Sir Roofy
28th March 2016, 05:13 PM
Mate doesn't sound good at all sounds like what mine did
can you start the engine if so is it very lumpy
does the oil smell burnt badly
compression test now before you go any further

pjhsv
28th March 2016, 09:37 PM
Take the engine cover off and check you havent blown a hose off sounds like you have.
it will be the blue hose in the pic, as it happened to me too
These mighty ZD30 TD motors dont like being overfilled with oil
keep it just below the top mark.

Thanks. Already gone further than that. All hoses were tight when the issue happened, so don't think it's that.

pjhsv
28th March 2016, 09:41 PM
Mate doesn't sound good at all sounds like what mine did
can you start the engine if so is it very lumpy
does the oil smell burnt badly
compression test now before you go any further

Oil doesn't smell bad. It's reasonably black but still mildly transparent. Yes, idles and drives even but feels the same as a petrol when missing a cylinder. I assumed major damage was done till I saw zero sign of any metal in the sump when draining it.

Now I just need to work out how to get the turbo off. All bolts are out. Just need to work out how to get the hoses in the bottom out.

Sir Roofy
29th March 2016, 01:37 AM
There's a banjo bolt at the front and one behind on the block also a oil line under the turbo
when I drained the sump there wasn't any shrapnel in there either on the sump plug
hope I'm wrong but think you might have a hole in the piston #3or4
from what you have said above the smoke and oil coming out of the tail pipe
if I'm wrong yes there's a turbo up for grabs

pjhsv
19th April 2016, 08:46 PM
Got the turbo off and it has a fair bit of freeplay. Compression test shows no compression on front cylinder. Rear three all around 380, but wasn't cranking exceptionally fast.

pjhsv
30th May 2016, 03:49 PM
Sent it to an engine place.

Cracked piston 1. Two teeth missing from the timing gear. $7k to get it rebuilt, + the removal/refit fees. Ouch.

BigRAWesty
30th May 2016, 03:52 PM
.wow..
Have a chat to a few of the boys here..
$7000 is the going rate by the sounds of it but cheaper can be done.

threedogs
30th May 2016, 03:54 PM

Cracked piston 1. Two teeth missing from the timing gear. $7k to get it rebuilt, + the removal/refit fees. Ouch.

Ouch but at least your back on the road, $7k sounds fair for rebuild and fitting,,,I think lol
Who did the work if its OK to ask??

Sir Roofy
30th May 2016, 08:55 PM

Try this guy he swapped mine for one of his GO2ENGINES Tel 0400 033 377 does them all the time
look him up on E/Bay good motors read all the listing very impressive

mudski
30th May 2016, 09:04 PM
Try this guy he swapped mine for one of his GO2ENGINES Tel 0400 033 377 does them all the time
Is that where we got your motor from roofy?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Sir Roofy
30th May 2016, 09:07 PM

That's the place mate I'm happy with it goes well

Rossco
30th May 2016, 09:12 PM

Yeah this is the builder where we sourced roofys. Absolutely agree probly the beast option i reckon. Great bloke to deal with knows his stuff and a quality motor. Price wise very reasonable for end result.

pjhsv
30th May 2016, 11:30 PM
Ouch but at least your back on the road, $7k sounds fair for rebuild and fitting,,,I think lol
Who did the work if its OK to ask??

Haven't got the work done just yet. Wife needs surgery in a few months, so we need to hit into those savings if we're to go through with fixing the car. Trying to work out if we can 100% have the cash back before her surgery if we spend it.

Cost didn't include remove/fit. That was done by another place that I paid $1500 for.

pjhsv
30th May 2016, 11:31 PM

Saw their engines on eBay today actually - will give them a call. Thanks

LostBenji
31st May 2016, 07:33 AM
Now you fit boost and EGT gauges along with the NADS and avoid the next one.

Sir Roofy
31st May 2016, 09:01 AM
Saw their engines on eBay today actually - will give them a call. Thanks

All's good mate only we removed and fitted the motor no additional cost

threedogs
31st May 2016, 02:32 PM
so other than those motors from go2 ,,,are they on a change over deal??
is it just a matter of fluids as in oil and coolant to finish

mudski
31st May 2016, 02:44 PM
so other than those motors from go2 ,,,are they on a change over deal??
is it just a matter of fluids as in oil and coolant to finish

Yeah change over and you will need fluids....
Just remember if your doing the engine swap yourself. To drop in the engine mounts FIRST, on the chassis brackets before you put the donk in. Lol.

pjhsv
31st May 2016, 03:26 PM
Just got off the phone with Omer from Go2Engines. Seems like a really cluey guy, and seems to know these engines back to front.

Looks like cost including a new turbo is going to be cheaper than my previous quote which didn't include a turbo, so that's some good news.

pjhsv
28th June 2016, 10:43 PM
Just got my car back. That turned out to be an expensive exercise, but hey, at least I know the engine should be reliable for the time I own the car.

If this one dies, I'm buying a Landcruiser (just kidding..!)

Bought a new turbo just for peace of mind - think of it as a $1050 insurance premium :)

Can't wait to clock up a couple of thousand kms to get everything bedded in, and head out to the snow with the family.

threedogs
29th June 2016, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the update,, have you fitted a dawes /needle valve at all

pjhsv
29th June 2016, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the update,, have you fitted a dawes /needle valve at all

Have not done anything yet. Drove it home late last night, drive it to and from work today.

EGR blank and Dawes are on my list for the next couple of weekends

Magician
8th July 2016, 07:43 PM
hey Sir roofy my 2001 just did same thing no compression on number 3 and i just brought the bastard any tips or hints

Magician
8th July 2016, 07:46 PM
Mate you can buy a $1200 rebuild kit that includes pistons on ebay .... yeah yeah i can hear all the genuine only parts people now it will last a month bla bla i had a mate use one 40 k and 2 years still going strong.

pjhsv
16th August 2016, 12:35 AM
Now, I'm no diesel mechanic, but my understanding is that pistons aren't meant to come with speed holes.....

pjhsv
27th February 2017, 11:04 PM
Sooooooo......

Got my engine replaced. Drove August -> November, then on the freeway at 100km/h, car loses power and starts making a pretty loud noise. Pulled over.
Sounded like bottom end noise (very very loud banging at idle). Turned it off and got it towed back to the engine builder.

So the engine builder looks at it, and turns out the crank broke in half. He said it was because the guys who fitted the engine didn't fit the clutch properly. He fixed it for free anyway. I got him to put in a new clutch at the same time.

Fast forward to Australia Day weekend. Drove to Albury and back. Car didn't miss a beat. Next morning, went to drive it, and car started making same noise as before - towed to engine builder again. Another broken crank. He tried to blame my driving style (which kind of pissed me off, but whatever), anyway, changed the whole bottom end. Hoping it was a dodgy block with a crank journal misaligned. He replaced it again for free....hopefully it's done and dusted now. Biggest issue is I want to do a Simpson trip - I'm not sure I have confidence in the car at this stage to do that. If I broke a crank in the middle of The Simpson, I'd be up for a truckload of cash.....

happygu
27th February 2017, 11:22 PM
Sooooooo......

Got my engine replaced. Drove August -> November, then on the freeway at 100km/h, car loses power and starts making a pretty loud noise. Pulled over.
Sounded like bottom end noise (very very loud banging at idle). Turned it off and got it towed back to the engine builder.

So the engine builder looks at it, and turns out the crank broke in half. He said it was because the guys who fitted the engine didn't fit the clutch properly. He fixed it for free anyway. I got him to put in a new clutch at the same time.

Fast forward to Australia Day weekend. Drove to Albury and back. Car didn't miss a beat. Next morning, went to drive it, and car started making same noise as before - towed to engine builder again. Another broken crank. He tried to blame my driving style (which kind of pissed me off, but whatever), anyway, changed the whole bottom end. Hoping it was a dodgy block with a crank journal misaligned. He replaced it again for free....hopefully it's done and dusted now. Biggest issue is I want to do a Simpson trip - I'm not sure I have confidence in the car at this stage to do that. If I broke a crank in the middle of The Simpson, I'd be up for a truckload of cash.....

That is definitely out of the ordinary ..... don't usually hear of broken crankshafts on these

gubigfish
27th February 2017, 11:35 PM
Sooooooo......

Yeah I would probably look at some shorter journeys not too far away from towns if it goes bang again, hopefully its not because the engine builder has gone cheap on the parts used.

mudski
28th February 2017, 02:25 PM
Fark! There's no way i would be going out in the middle of ship creek with that on my mind the whole time. A mate of mine had his grenade drop it pin not far from Alice. 4k later his Patrol was back in Melbourne.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

pjhsv
2nd March 2017, 10:41 PM
Fark! There's no way i would be going out in the middle of ship creek with that on my mind the whole time. A mate of mine had his grenade drop it pin not far from Alice. 4k later his Patrol was back in Melbourne.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

I'll drive it around for a while - probably Simpson in 2018, so by that time I'll have either thrown this thing off a cliff, or developed confidence that it'll be okay. Ahh well, no matter what happens, it's only a car.

mudski
3rd March 2017, 03:03 PM
I'll drive it around for a while - probably Simpson in 2018, so by that time I'll have either thrown this thing off a cliff, or developed confidence that it'll be okay. Ahh well, no matter what happens, it's only a car.

Yes it is only a car. But you dont want that car to leave you stranded.

pjhsv
5th October 2018, 11:41 AM
So a well overdue update.

Car broke down (again!).
As soon as it broke down, I told my wife "Don't care what the issue is, I'm getting rid of it. If it's cheap, I'll fix it and sell it, if it's serious, I'll sell it as is".

Took it to a mechanic who said without pulling it apart, he's guessing, but he suspects another broken crankshaft. Spoke with the engine builder who made up more excuses, and I just CBF anymore. I sold it dirt cheap, just to get rid of it.

Went and bought myself a new Triton Exceed. Sure, it's not as capable as the Patrol, but there's a lot to be said for getting in, driving somewhere (anywhere!), and not even having to worry about reliability. I'd happily drive it to Perth tomorrow without a second thought. Reliability is more important to me at this stage than offroad capability. Have had a few things come up in the interim, but may do the Simpson next year :)

Rossco
5th October 2018, 05:20 PM
Far out that sounds like the worst run of luck ever and pretty weird don't think ever heard of those motors breaking cranks. Best of luck with the Triton hope that treats you better. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk