PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a CAV filter to TDi42

Cuppa
27th March 2016, 06:07 PM
I'm thinking of fitting one of these to my car, in-line before the factory fuel filter.

65736 65737

Can anyone answer some or all of the following questions:

1. If you have fitted one to a GU with the same motor where abouts did you fit it? (pic would be good).

2. Why do the filter housings have two inlets & two outlets (Just to facilitate fitting in different situations?) & does it matter which inlet is used with which outlet?

3. What are the two bolts screwed into the top face of the filter housing for?

4. On the factory fuel filter which is the inlet - firewall side or front of the car side of the housing?

5. The easiest & most accessible spot I have to mount it is on the wheel arch on the passenger side of the vehicle (where the aux battery used to be). Is there any problem extending the fuel lines to the opposite side of the engine bay & back again?

6. Do I need 8mm (5/16ths) or 10mm (3/8ths) hose tails to screw into the housing?

the evil twin
27th March 2016, 06:20 PM
I'm thinking of fitting one of these to my car, in-line before the factory fuel filter.

65736 65737

Can anyone answer some or all of the following questions:

1. If you have fitted one to a GU with the same motor where abouts did you fit it? (pic would be good).

2. Why do the filter housings have two inlets & two outlets (Just to facilitate fitting in different situations?) & does it matter which inlet is used with which outlet?

3. What are the two bolts screwed into the top face of the filter housing for?

4. On the factory fuel filter which is the inlet - firewall side or front of the car side of the housing?

5. The easiest & most accessible spot I have to mount it is on the wheel arch on the passenger side of the vehicle (where the aux battery used to be). Is there any problem extending the fuel lines to the opposite side of the engine bay & back again?

6. Do I need 8mm (5/16ths) or 10mm (3/8ths) hose tails to screw into the housing?

1 - never done it

2 - Yes & No IE you can use any combination of Ports for single/dual tanks, single/dual power plants, in/out same side etc as long as flow is with arrows and any unused ports are blanked

3 - Bleeding the filter and holding the assy together so the bottom 1/2 doesn't fall in the dirt

4 - Dunno

5 - Functionally no but not desireable

6 - Depends on the housing thread size :-)

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2016, 07:34 PM
I have one fitted to the GQ as a replacement of the original rather than in series. I fitted it about 10 years ago at least.

Note the factory fuel filter on a GQ is on the passenger side with fuel lines from the drivers side over and back on the fire wall so placement on passenger side don't be an issue at all.

I gave just fitted a similar filter as a prefilter on the GUIV. I fitted in on the passenger side where factory ABS unit would be fitted. Might have a pic.wull check and post it up. I just extended the factory line before the filter over to the passenger side the back again to the filter.

No dramas at all.

Yes I think the other screws and bolts are for alternate figments on other vehicles.

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2016, 07:52 PM
Sorry no pics! Surprised I didn't take any?? Odd! Normally all over that!!

Cuppa
27th March 2016, 08:01 PM
No problems sealing relacement filters & priming them Darren? Have read some folk have these problems but the alternative of spin on filters with a glass bowl is ridiculously expensive.

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2016, 08:37 PM
No dramas sealing them at all. I tell you though....Once i dropped the glass bowl while replacing the filter.....It DID NOT BOUNCE! I now have a spare in my rear drawers as a spare.

Even fitting it on the passenger side in the GUIV i then had to use the standard primer to pump up, across, fill the second filter, pump back and fill the factory filter and it did it with ease. I just left the hose off until it was primed like i always do. Pump it into a cup until all the air is gone.

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2016, 08:39 PM
And to answer 6.

take the new filter with you to pirtek and test fit the barbs you need.

nissannewby
27th March 2016, 08:46 PM
GQs also came out with the fuel filter on the drivers side...

nissannewby
27th March 2016, 08:52 PM
1. Fit in the main line from main tank. Anywhere as long as its easily accessible for service.

2. Just multiple ports allowing for different mountings. As long as you use 1 inlet and 1 outlet all will be fine.

3. As et said the bolt closest to the mounting flange is the bleed screw. The central one holds the assembly together.

4. The factory fuel filter head has arrows on it. But the one closest to the battery I believe is the outlet.

5. No problem but you are adding quite a bit of line to the system. You could mount it on the drivers side where the lines come up over the coil tower. Have seen a few mounted here attached underside of the tray.

6. Use the largest one you can fit. Make sure the id of the fittings is also larger between 5/16 and 3/8 some cheaper fittings wont be.

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2016, 08:58 PM
GQs also came out with the fuel filter on the drivers side...

yeah by 1992 was on the Passenger side, not sure what year they moved it over the drivers side. I have just moved mine on the GQ to the Drivers side attached to eh side of the battery tray.

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2016, 09:03 PM
couldn't be bothered culling all the rest of the quote out but here is the CAV filter and the move i made on the GQ.

Ok been busy under the hood over the last month. I am getting a few things sorted while it's parked up. I am getting it ready for a bigger airbox and hopefully a stainless snorkel through the bonnet at some point.

I have moved the Fuel Primer pump and the vacuum tank to the drivers side and stripped a heap of other crap off the fire wall. I removed the clutch bleed hose and tube and replace the hose and block to allow for the removal of the extra bleed.

This is a Big Job and will take some nutting out to put Humpty Dumpty back together again but it's getting there

Before.

Fuel primer now attached to drivers side battery tray just above the fuel pump. The copper fuel pines across the fire wall are gone.

I relocated the vacuum tank and used the copper tube as the primary supply to the tank rather than from the tank just to the clutch

Getting there

Stripped out the clutch bleed valve as it's pointless. Phill at the 4WD Shed sells a replacement hose and block without the bleed for the win.

Removed the redundant dual battery solenoid and wiring and pulled back a few wires that were no longer being used.

I am going to move the fuse block and have to remount it and sort out al the accessories that were going to the second battery that no longer exists. A bit to do yet but it's coming together

From this

To this

To this

Coming together.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

jff45
27th March 2016, 09:21 PM
If you're fitting it in series with the factory filter, use the same size barbs and fuel hose.
I'm also thinking of adding one of those and I currently have a lift pump which is recommended if you're running 2 filters otherwise the pump will work harder to suck through both filters

macca
27th March 2016, 09:23 PM
Cuppa used a piece of angle aluminium to mount the CAV. A small piece is bolted to the flat that you see in the photo (2 bolts visible)

Also fitted an outboard motor primer in the line from the tank to push fuel into the filters.

On the OEM filter the hose on the firewall side is from the tank, that has been extended (see brass joiner) through the bulb primer to the CAV then back from the CAV to the OEM filter.

If things go all wobbly the line from the tank can be put back in its original spot and away we go... I hope!

You might find this interesting too,

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?10070-Cav-fuel-pre-filters-yes-or-no

Cuppa
27th March 2016, 09:32 PM
Thanks Darren & Matt, both very helpful ............ & I'll buy a spare bowl!

I guess it's safe to assume that the 45 litres per hour max flow rate that the 296 filter has, in conjunction wth the factory filter works ok with the pump I have.

jff45
27th March 2016, 09:56 PM
I thought the bowls were made from a polycarbonate now so pretty hard to break.

Your pump will work harder as the filters start to clog. A lift pump also resolves all the priming issues.

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2016, 09:58 PM

Your pump will work harder as the filters start to clog. A lift pump also resolves all the priming issues.

Makes so much more sense!! My spare is also glass but again at least 10 years old.

macca
27th March 2016, 10:03 PM

What , where, how... can you give us a bit more info on the lift pump set up you have.

The set up I have has been on my Patrol for 6 years and 110000 klm, its working fine. Not sure now ???

macca
28th March 2016, 04:16 PM
Might be a bit clearer Cuppa.

Cuppa
28th March 2016, 07:59 PM
Thanks Macca, all clear now. I'll be doing as you've done, except will utilise some 3mm ally angle I have. Much better than going over to the other side of the engine bay. Ordered all the bits & pieces online this arvo. Now have to wait for the postman.

For anyone else considering fitting one of these filters as a 'pre-filter' ........ my main concern had been around the potential for a saga with priming each time the filter was replaced, but utilising a priming bulb as Macca has done will deal with that very well. Be aware that whilst there are plenty of cheap priming bulbs available, not all are suitable for for use with diesel.

I also read elsewhere where someone had written with certainty that the fuel lines on the TD42 are 10mm. Just to be sure I eased the hose part way off the factory filter housing on mine & measured the hose tail diameter. It was 8mm.

MudRunnerTD
28th March 2016, 08:21 PM
Took a couple of pics earlier and just getting back to the forum now.. Looking at the way you mounted it Macca I reckon there would only be maybe 500mm of extra hose mounting across the bay. Either way is all good though.

Here is the mounting position I used on the GUIV.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/319.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/320.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/321.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/322.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/323.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/324.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!

Cuppa
28th March 2016, 09:34 PM
Thanks Darren, it looks good, but I'm envious of all the space you have across your firewall, mine is far more crowded mainly due to my extended coolant system. I would have to take hoses underneath the intercooler, over the top of the rocker cover & & in closer proximity to the turbo than I'd like. None of which is probably that good for a fluid which in part acts as a coolant for the pump.

I'm a bit envious of your spin on filter too. However the reason I went for the cheaper CAV type, at the cost of less convenience when it comes to changing filters , was a story recounted to me by a mate who picked up some dirty fuel at a remote outback community. He was clogging filters in his Oka at the rate of around 100kms per filter for 6 filters before the remaing fuel was eventually 'clean'. He obviously carried a good supply of filters with him, easier to do when they are $7 a pop, (& replaceable at any small town which has a grader or a tractor). Horses for courses.

Cuppa
31st March 2016, 06:47 PM

Makes so much more sense!! My spare is also glass but again at least 10 years old.

My new filter housing arrived in the mail today & the bowl is glass, as is the spare I bought. Got it online from Wagga Tractors - excellent service.

the evil twin
31st March 2016, 06:53 PM
My new filter housing arrived in the mail today & the bowl is glass bowl, as is the spare I bought. Got it online from Wagga Tractors - excellent service.

I get my fuel filters from them as well.
Gotta agree, customer service is first rate

nissannewby
31st March 2016, 07:17 PM
How much for the filters?

macca
31st March 2016, 07:41 PM

This is that tractor mob on ebay where I get mine

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDF296-6x-CAV-7111-296-Delphi-Diesel-Engine-Fuel-Filter-7111296-R2132P-FF167-/390924560992?hash=item5b04eb6a60:g:yK8AAMXQydtTLOF b

Cuppa
31st March 2016, 08:39 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HDF296-6x-CAV-7111-296-Delphi-Diesel-Engine-Fuel-Filter-7111296-R2132P-FF167-/390924560992?hash=item5b04eb6a60:g:yK8AAMXQydtTLOF b

Yep I got half a dozen of those too. Delivered on 3rd day after payment, very well packaged & a nice little hand written note on the printed invoice thanking me for my custom.

the evil twin
1st April 2016, 12:46 AM

Last time was $60 for two, so $30 ea

Cuppa
1st April 2016, 10:57 AM
Last time was $60 for two, so $30 ea

What filters are you referring to at that price?

the evil twin
1st April 2016, 11:20 AM
What filters are you referring to at that price?

The Donaldsons for my Brunny.

Just to be clear, I was replying to your post about Wagga Tractors confirming that I have had great service from them.

I also use a mob called WA Filters at almost exact same pricing and usually go with whoever has stock if the other Vendor is out.
The filters I need are an odd size as I think the Cocky who had my Brunny put them on as they are common to his tractors or trucks or whatever.

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2016, 12:14 PM

Saved to my watch list. Thanks!

nissannewby
1st April 2016, 12:24 PM
I get my fuel filters from them as well.
Gotta agree, customer service is first rate

Filter number?

Kimbo63
1st April 2016, 12:59 PM
Hey to ya all my son Stefan is part owner at filters elite here in Perth he will sell those 296 filters for $5.95 ea the complete housing is 59.95 just had a chat to him so if you say your from Nissanpatrol.com.au he will give us all discount his details are (08) 9353 6769 ask for Stefan Thomsen
Cheers Kimbo

MudRunnerTD
1st April 2016, 03:27 PM
Hey to ya all my son Stefan is part owner at filters elite here in Perth he will sell those 296 filters for $5.95 ea the complete housing is 59.95 just had a chat to him so if you say your from Nissanpatrol.com.au he will give us all discount his details are (08) 9353 6769 ask for Stefan Thomsen
Cheers Kimbo

does he also do Oil filters? He should come on as a Vendor Sponsor, i reckon he would do OK as long as postage did not wreck it.

Kimbo63
1st April 2016, 04:04 PM
Yep any kind of filter he can do it will have a talk to him tonite regarding vendor sponsorship never crossed my mind before
Thanks Darren

the evil twin
1st April 2016, 04:53 PM
filter number?

p550588 ....

Kimbo63
1st April 2016, 05:42 PM
p550588 ....

$18.20 + gst for this one ET

the evil twin
1st April 2016, 07:41 PM
$18.20 + gst for this one ET

Now that is a darn good price, cobber.

May I suggest if you get your young fella on here as a Vendor he will get a heap of trade of the forumites at those sort of discounts

Kimbo63
1st April 2016, 07:49 PM
Now that is a darn good price, cobber.

May I suggest if you get your young fella on here as a Vendor he will get a heap of trade of the forumites at those sort of discounts
No prob mate he's not free tonite but will catch up with him over the weekend feel free to ring him for a chat tho as that is just the norm price he will give us discount on that
Cheers Kimbo

Kimbo63
1st April 2016, 09:18 PM
Ups just realised the hijack thing:hijacked:
Apologies to you cuppa still learning the ropes around here

Cuppa
1st April 2016, 09:22 PM
Ups just realised the hijack thing:hijacked:
Apologies to you cuppa still learning the ropes around here

No problemo - it'd run it's course & if we get a forum vendor with good filter prices it'll be all to the good.

Cuppa
12th April 2016, 07:33 PM
Filter is all fitted. Does it look familiar Macca? When I removed the feed pipe to the stock filter & heard the fuel gurgling & draining back to the tank I thought I'd be in for some fun & games re-priming the whole shebang. Was no problem at all though. I reckon Nissan should've fitted one of those bulb primers to every Patrol, they are so good. 3 or 4 gentle squeezes & the new filter was filled & a couple of pumps on the original pump was all that was needed. Car fired up no problem. Worth fitting even if you don't fit a pre-filter I reckon.