PDA

View Full Version : Removing sealant from rain gutters?

UVB76
25th March 2016, 05:20 PM
Hey all.
The sealant in my Patrol's gutters is looking a bit aged and starting to crack so I figured I'd replace it with some Selley's sealant but had two questions for anyone that's done this:

1. How did you remove the old sealant? I took a flat-blade screwdriver to a small section and the stuff was quite tough to stab through. Could work but definitely not very elegant.

2. Which Selley's would be best? I thought the marine silicone product because it'll be good with UV, it'd be tough in weather, and flexible.

Cheers.

threedogs
25th March 2016, 05:26 PM
Its called drip check Im thinking a hooked scraper of some description.
You talking about the gutters on your Patrol

UVB76
25th March 2016, 05:33 PM
Its called drip check Im thinking a hooked scraper of some description.
You talking about the gutters on your Patrol

Yeah mate, the gutters on the Patrol. Probably best I don't call them rain gutters, bit confusing eh.

Hodge
25th March 2016, 05:35 PM
Hey UV. I had to fix a small section on my 3L few years ago. As TD said, the product I used was Drip Chek.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65697&stc=1

threedogs
25th March 2016, 05:36 PM
Not sure if any of the sikaflex style products are up to it
as you already know its tuff stuff and tuff for a reason.
Id seek out the correct medium to fill it. Yes sikaflex will
work but its not the right stuff

threedogs
25th March 2016, 05:37 PM
Hey UV. I had to fix a small section on my 3L few years ago. As TD said, the product I used was Drip Chek.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65697&stc=1

ROFL seeing that looks like something from the chemist lol

the evil twin
25th March 2016, 06:05 PM
ROFL seeing that looks like something from the chemist lol

When I asked the Chemist for something to stop a drip it didn't look anything like that I can tell ya...

MudRunnerTD
25th March 2016, 09:56 PM
I'd be inclined to leave the factory product in place and run a bead smear over the whole lot. Much less work. Same outcome. I would use a Sikaflex product only because I've never heard of Drip Check.

threedogs
26th March 2016, 01:32 PM
IMO I think any of the Sixaflex products would have too much give,
Thats a long seam and any twisting and flex would be greater with
a sikaflex product

UVB76
28th March 2016, 10:55 AM
Hey hodge, 3D -
I found some auto restoration blogs that also recommended 3M Heavy Drip-Chek for gutters so I'll give it a go. It doesn't seem to be stocked by the usual auto retailers, only found it at Blackwoods - does that sound right? My nearest Blackwoods is an hour away so I'll have to eBay it.

If there's some surface rust in the gutters, what's the best treatment? I've used Ranex Rustbuster (http://www.bunnings.com.au/bondall-250ml-ranex-rustbuster-rust-remover_p1560855) before but it leaves a residue, so what about some Penetrol spray?

threedogs
28th March 2016, 04:04 PM
Can you put a brass wire wheel on a drill and remove the rust that way.
As you say I still think Drip Check is the go

UVB76
29th March 2016, 06:38 PM
If there's nothing but surface rust, I reckon a wire wheel is the right idea. I was thinking more along the lines of whether or not it'd be worth applying some kind of rust converter/sealant just in case the Drip-Chek fails in future years.

threedogs
29th March 2016, 06:40 PM
wire brush, then some kill rust paint then the drip check

DAZZA88
1st September 2016, 08:17 PM
Hey UVB76

If the sealant has cracked then there could be a chance that moisture has got in and under it. If this is the case running more sealant over the top is
going to leave you with a big rust problem later on. Roof Racks are the worst for this. If you go down to your local Bunnings you can get abrasive scouring
disks similar looking to what you wash dishes with. There are different grades of course disks. Get the arbour that goes with them.
When you get home put the arbour in your drill and away you go, this will get out the hard cracked sealant, and keep an eye open for any rust.