PDA

View Full Version : Drive Pinion Nut - Front Diff

stuch22
24th March 2016, 10:35 AM
Can anyone help with some advice on how to undo the drive pinion nut on the front diff. I made a special tool - similar to the one in the workshop manual and can get a really good socket onto the nut, but just can't seem to undo the bugger. I've tried heating it up, I've tried some freeze spray - anyone got any tips?

threedogs
24th March 2016, 12:09 PM
May need to shock it first,
eg hit with a hammer to break any seal it may have

mudski
24th March 2016, 12:34 PM
Big rattle gun mate.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

mudski
24th March 2016, 12:36 PM
What size socket is it? If i have the right impact socket i can. Come up tomorrow with my big bertha gun and give it a crack.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

mudnut
24th March 2016, 01:35 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I agree with Mudski, that a big rattle gun will make it an easy job. Mark the nut position before you undo it.

dom14
24th March 2016, 11:54 PM
Yeah, a powerful rattle gun is the easiest way.
If that's not a choice for you, you can try locking the pinion via locking the wheels and
then lever it with a breaker bar. I made the same tool like you did and locked the pinion flange to the chassis with that with an extension attached to it.
The only problem with that is there isn't enough room to lever the breaker bar under the car,
unless it's on a hoist. So, it didn't work when I was faced with the same problem.
But, it might work for you.(Use brake to lock the wheels & diff)

Getting hold of an air compressor and a powerful enough rattle gun is the easiest way.

When I was faced with the same problem with the rear diff pinion nut, I ended up buying a 3/4 inch socket rattle gun with the right socket in
the rattle gun kit. I already had the air compressor. But, I still had to increase the air pressure beyond the recommended 90psi to get enough power from the el cheapo rattle gun. 1/2 inch socket rattle gun is enough if it's a good rattle gun.

Pulingl the diff centre out and taking it to a mechanic is probably not an option for you 'cos it's the front diff.
It's a hell of a PITA since you have to pull the hubs, CVs etc out.

I'm guessing, you're trying to do the pinion seal, right?

As Mudnut mentioned above, remember to mark the nut position, so you won't have to worry about getting the bearing preload right.

sooty_10
25th March 2016, 09:03 AM
I used a breaker bar and hydraulic bottle jack to undo mine.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mudnut
25th March 2016, 10:43 AM
I used a jack as well as the flange spanner I made to undo the pinion nut, but believe me the jack shoots out from under the breaker bar with a great amount of energy when it slips under load. I was just plain lucky not to get hit. The rattle gun option is way better. The flange spanner stops the gear teeth from the chattering together when using the rattle gun too.

dom14
25th March 2016, 11:39 AM
I used a jack as well as the flange spanner I made to undo the pinion nut, but believe me the jack shoots out from under the breaker bar with a great amount of energy when it slips under load. I was just plain lucky not to get hit. The rattle gun option is way better. The flange spanner stops the gear teeth from the chattering together when using the rattle gun too.

Yes, it is a good idea to use the flange spanner even when we use the rattle gun.