PDA

View Full Version : extractors and bigger exhorst pipes (2 1/2" system)

brucepatrol791
13th April 2011, 09:22 AM
I have a 2000 GU 4.5 duel fuel patrol and am thinking of extractors and 2 1/2 inch system. Any advice on this. (I am in Melbourne)

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 10:12 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on the forum, so don't be shy and join in to make the most of it. Enjoy!!

I just put extractors and 2.75" exhaust on my TB42e (4.2 petrol - dual fuel also) and whilst you do notice a small improvement in power and fuel consumption (generally, so long as it's tuned well), the biggest area of improvement was in torque. Holds tall gears better uphill etc and more boot for overtaking.

Others will no doubt have an opinion also - good luck with the decision. Don't forget to throw up some pics of your unit in the Members Ride section as we never get bored of looking at them! :)

brucepatrol791
13th April 2011, 10:17 AM
Thankyou!!!
Anything to look out for or to avoid.

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 10:23 AM
Thankyou!!!
Anything to look out for or to avoid.

Not really mate - the exhaust is bent to suit and they did a great job of tucking mine up well so nothing is exposed. Just come down to dollars and sense (as in common sense) as to what you want to spend based on material used etc. Mine was about $1300 fitted in steel ...

jaxt
13th April 2011, 12:25 PM
who did your exhaust big fella?

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 12:31 PM
who did your exhaust big fella?

AutoArt at Capalaba sorted it - he fitted etc, but got the exhaust bent up the road at the exhaust place he uses (can't remember their name) ...

timbar
13th April 2011, 12:37 PM
dont quote me on this but they say a bigger exhaust burns valves ??? can any one assist on this theory ?????? is it fact or fiction?

Bigrig
13th April 2011, 12:52 PM
dont quote me on this but they say a bigger exhaust burns valves ??? can any one assist on this theory ?????? is it fact or fiction?

Hmmm ... can't see how as it is actually letting hot exhaust gases get away better ... but hey ... what the hell do I know??!! LOL

Maxhead
13th April 2011, 07:03 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

YNOT
13th April 2011, 08:44 PM

Fiction. A better flowing exhaust won't make the exhaust hotter.

Tony

Finly Owner
13th April 2011, 09:26 PM
Can I add? Extractors(freeflow) are exactly that. They create the free flow of exhaust gases out of the head. Standard manifolds hold it there longer because of the combine cylinder gases collecting in one chamber to escape down one pipe. Extractors remove more gases down a collector system into the exhaust pipe.

The rest of the science I am unable to offer you.

Tim

wildgu6
14th April 2011, 07:35 AM
Welcome aboard buddy,
Great bunch of people here with a s*** load of knowledge, experience and adventures to share.
Plenty of good laughs along the way as well.
Surf around and join in where ever you feel comfortable.
Post your question in the mech disc section, might get a better result

Hope you have a great 2011.
stay safe & Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Pete

brucepatrol791
14th April 2011, 08:02 AM
Thank you for all the info people. Can anyone recomend a brand or should I try and go custom. I was expecting to pay around $1500.00 , because I think I should be able to get some thing good for that. (give or take a few $100)

Bigrig
14th April 2011, 08:11 AM
Thank you for all the info people. Can anyone recomend a brand or should I try and go custom. I was expecting to pay around $1500.00 , because I think I should be able to get some thing good for that. (give or take a few $100)

I just went steel mandrel bent exhaust and pacemaker extractors - seems great ... not sure I would be spending more to go stainless or anything like that ...

YNOT
14th April 2011, 09:45 AM

No real point getting custom made extractors (with the extra expense involved) when you can buy off the shelf. Your budget is more than enough for a good system like Scott (Bigrig) has.

Tony

brucepatrol791
14th April 2011, 06:13 PM
Thank you again everyone all of this information is great and it makes me feel that I am on the right track.
Cheers
Bruce

patch697
3rd May 2011, 06:59 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul