PDA

View Full Version : Headlight on warning buzzer - who has installed one?

Jonesy_sa
20th March 2016, 03:11 PM
Hi guys

I need to install a warning alarm for the headlights on my GQ. I remember there being kits at some stage from jaycar or one of those.

Has anyone added one if so how did you go about it?

threedogs
20th March 2016, 03:13 PM
Yendor or ET would be your go to ppls for that one

the evil twin
20th March 2016, 03:26 PM
Can be as easy or as a Piezo buzzer from Jaycar and wire it from Dash lights or Low Beam (power) to drivers door switch (earth).
Only drawback to that is it sounds if any door is opened.

If you want it so it will only sound if headlights are on AND only drivers door is open then you need a blocking diode in the cct after the tap so the Buzzer cannot 'see' the earth from any other doors

Jonesy_sa
20th March 2016, 09:58 PM
Good thought on the blocking diode! I also only want it activated when the ignition is off. Narva sell a buzzer relay for this purpose:
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/warning-buzzers

I haven't heard one but its rated at 85db at 30cm's. If its too loud I could wrap a bit of foam around it.

I wouldn't mind using a similar device or buzzer from a known vehicle I could test listen in advance; I'm easily agitated by buzzers! I looked through some workshop manuals of previously owned cars without luck. Has anyone come across the location of the unit their other vehicles?

GeeYou8
20th March 2016, 10:19 PM
I stuck one in the work Navara.
I picked up accessory power & lights on at the back of the radio, simply connect +ve side of buzzer to "lights on", -ve side of buzzer to diode (1N4001) anode, diode cathode ( the end with a line around it) to "Accessories on".
Simple diode logic, lights on, accessories off, buzzer sounds.
Graham

dom14
26th March 2016, 12:51 AM
Can be as easy or as a Piezo buzzer from Jaycar and wire it from Dash lights or Low Beam (power) to drivers door switch (earth).
Only drawback to that is it sounds if any door is opened.

If you want it so it will only sound if headlights are on AND only drivers door is open then you need a blocking diode in the cct after the tap so the Buzzer cannot 'see' the earth from any other doors

I was thinking the idea of the warning buzzer is to alarm when the engine is not running and the headlights are on??!!

IF that's the case, how does the the bringing in the door switch to the circuit help with the warning buzzer?!

Ok, I get it. The idea is the buzzer sounds if the headlights or dash lights are on and the door gets opened at the same time.
How does the above setup prevent the buzzer sounding with the above conditions are met, but when the engine's running?

dom14
26th March 2016, 01:19 AM
I stuck one in the work Navara.
I picked up accessory power & lights on at the back of the radio, simply connect +ve side of buzzer to "lights on", -ve side of buzzer to diode (1N4001) anode, diode cathode ( the end with a line around it) to "Accessories on".
Simple diode logic, lights on, accessories off, buzzer sounds.
Graham

Will you be able to draw a simple electrical diagram to show how this work?
Thanx

Brissieboy
26th March 2016, 10:45 AM
Something like this?
This will work with either high or low beam on when the accessories are off. The 2 diodes are required in this case.
When the lights are on, the connection to the diode will be at +12 Volts. When the accessories are on, that connection will also be at +12 Volts so the buzzer cannot operate.
If the lights are off, the connection to the diode will be at earth (negative). Now the diode will be reverse biased so will not conduct whether the accessories connection is at +12 Volts or earth.
When either (or both) of the light connections are at +12 Volts (lights on) and the accessories connection is at earth (such as when the key is turned off), the diode(s) will be forward biased so the buzzer will sound.
Of course this assumes that the lights use switched +12 Volts which the Patrol does.

This approach allows the use of parkers without the buzzer sounding. If you want ALL lights to sound the buzzer then just a single diode connected to the parkers will be the way to go.

dom14
30th March 2016, 03:45 PM
Something like this?
This will work with either high or low beam on when the accessories are off. The 2 diodes are required in this case.
When the lights are on, the connection to the diode will be at +12 Volts. When the accessories are on, that connection will also be at +12 Volts so the buzzer cannot operate.
If the lights are off, the connection to the diode will be at earth (negative). Now the diode will be reverse biased so will not conduct whether the accessories connection is at +12 Volts or earth.
When either (or both) of the light connections are at +12 Volts (lights on) and the accessories connection is at earth (such as when the key is turned off), the diode(s) will be forward biased so the buzzer will sound.
Of course this assumes that the lights use switched +12 Volts which the Patrol does.

This approach allows the use of parkers without the buzzer sounding. If you want ALL lights to sound the buzzer then just a single diode connected to the parkers will be the way to go.

Thanx mate. I was thinking using a tachometric relay combined with another relay(type of relay that opens the circuit when triggered) to do that. But, that far too much work comparing the above approach. Using a diode or two is obviously lot simpler and effective.