PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Service Manual items vs what service shops actually do

MyGU8
19th March 2016, 07:43 PM
Hi All,

I recently had an interesting experience with one of the well known local service shops.

I put my Patrol for 140000kms service and one of the items (body mount tightening) mentioned in the service manual wasn't carried out.

When I questioned I was told that they only do visual inspection and if any bolt/nut was found loose then they will tighten it. I found it rather unusual.

Also it was my understanding that the tyres will always be rotated, but when I asked whether the tyres have been rotated they asked me " have you asked for a tyre rotation?" I was puzzled and told them that I thought it will always be rotated in every service. The answer was the straight tyres are already in the front so no need for rotation.

I was disappointed with the service and the amount I am paying.
The service manual was also signed implying all necessary items were carried out.

My questions
1. has anyone questioned their service centre of the items they are carrying out on every service?
2. is this usual service method?

If not I believe this post will be an eye opener for the regular people out there who believe that their service centre carry out all the services according to the manufacturer's recommendation and paying good hard earned money.

Cheers,

the evil twin
19th March 2016, 08:13 PM
If they offer "Log BooK Servicing" and they sign off the "Log BooK Servicing" they have to do the "Log Book Servicing".
But... it will all be in the fine print of their paperwork/contract/exclusions etc.

FWIW you'll be lucky if they do 1/2 the stuff they are supposed to do.
Recent example with one of our fleet BT50s what shit itself.
Recent Service history was with Ultracrap and they didn't change out the Heater Bypass Hose that has been leaking on the Rangers/BT50s due to incorrect routing of the production lines.
Ultracrap response was they simply do a generic servicing and any other stuff is the responsibility of the owner to request/sort out.

bazzaboy
20th March 2016, 02:57 PM
My Patrol will never see my local dealership ever again, unless it's with my barrister to argue about a warranty claim. My son is a licensed mechanic and now looks after mine ( using only Nissan genuine parts). In all my years of owning many bikes & vehicles, I've found Nissan dealerships the worst, specifically the two local ones in my area. I firmly believe that if you can find a good mechanic, especially a 4WD mechanic, you'll be much better off.

Bazza

the evil twin
20th March 2016, 03:17 PM
My Patrol will never see my local dealership ever again, unless it's with my barrister to argue about a warranty claim. My son is a licensed mechanic and now looks after mine ( using only Nissan genuine parts). In all my years of owning many bikes & vehicles, I've found Nissan dealerships the worst, specifically the two local ones in my area. I firmly believe that if you can find a good mechanic, especially a 4WD mechanic, you'll be much better off.

Bazza

Fair enough but, as the OP has discovered, the other place you won't find a decent 4WD mechanic is working for the franchised Service Centres like Ultratune, Autobahn, Repco, Automasters et al.

I wouldn't even trust them with checking the washer bottle level on a Great Wall... :-)

threedogs
20th March 2016, 05:06 PM
I thought all they did in a service was change your oil and plug in
to your OBD2 port and make sure everything looks ok, unplug
the OBD2 port, call your name at reception an hand you a huge bill
to pay before you can take your Patrol home, then on the way home
one of your mags falls off as your finger nails grip into your pimply
dash. AAAAHHHHhhh
FWIW I use a 4x4 shop

MyGU8
20th March 2016, 07:38 PM
Yes TD, in my case also a 4x4 shop.

Although the invoice shows less items than what the service manual says, isn't that a complimentary/good workmanship to let the owner knows that those are the ONLY items they will attend and not to sign the log book, because signing the log book means the items are done to the the list as per the log book.