PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious button

palmdeira
19th March 2016, 05:45 PM
Hi

Anyone care to shed any light on the function of this button under the aerial one on my newly purchased 2002 Patrol. It clicks a solenoid under the bonnet. Not sure if it's an on/off or what. The switch position doesn't change. I have a dual battery system.
Ciao

threedogs
19th March 2016, 05:55 PM
Weird but its not for your side mirrors is it,???
can you take a pic and crop it so we can see the icon on it

Might wont to pop over to the intros as well just to be polite and all
not cool asking questions before an intro, no harm done ,so welcome to the
forum

NissanGQ4.2
19th March 2016, 06:05 PM
Weird but its not for your side mirrors is it,???
can you take a pic and crop it so we can see the icon on it

Get off the drugs John, there is no Icon on it, looks like an aftermarket push button.

threedogs
19th March 2016, 06:11 PM
Are we saying its just an on/off button then??
All I can suggest is follow the wires and see what you come up with

Clunk
19th March 2016, 06:16 PM
For the passenger ejector seat

palmdeira
19th March 2016, 06:18 PM
Thanks. Yeah it's after market. racq guy couldn't tell for sure what it's for. Also got these sockets in the back, nicely done, but struggling to find where to get an appropriate plug to use it with my cig lighter 12V esky. Some caravan thingy?

threedogs
19th March 2016, 06:19 PM
you can change them to Merit or european stlt plugs Ill grab a link for you to see. OR,,,,,,http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Power-Outlet-12-volt-Merit-Socket-Merit-plug-flush-mount-CARAVAN-camper-/291602524526?hash=item43e4dd696e:g:Y1MAAOSw9mFWMuY Z

palmdeira
19th March 2016, 06:22 PM
I'll be in brisvegas. Looking to put the equipment to the test somewhere nearby...

MyGU8
19th March 2016, 06:30 PM
Do you have dual battery, it may be for emergency (override) starting switch for the isolator.

threedogs
19th March 2016, 06:35 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CIGARETTE-LIGHTER-MERIT-ENGEL-SOCKET-12V-DC-ADAPTER-CARAVAN-NISSAN-PATROL-GU-BLK-/400948663677?hash=item5d5a67157d:g:RLEAAOSwPe1T0KS 7
these are very handy fore a rear power outlet it
has a few cig and merit outlets with switches plus a volt meter
to check on the 2nd battery if you have on installed

Patrol'n
19th March 2016, 06:41 PM
Gday mate, welcome to the forum, just a thought, if you can hear a solenoid, is it the solenoid for your dual battery setup?

I have my red arc solenoid wired via the blue wire on the unit to a momentary on button on my dash. This allows me to link the batteries to jump start off the auxiliary battery. When I push the button to link the batteries, there is an audible click from the solenoid.

Anyway, just a thought, following the wires would help you to find out for sure. As for the plugs, check out the website for the 12 volt shop in Western Australia,
http://www.12volt.com.au/redirect.html?a=/General%20Htmls/webcat2003/plugs2.html

Cheers.

the evil twin
19th March 2016, 06:48 PM
X2 with escix and others... the push button will most likely be to manually parallel the two batteries.

Those sockets are a standard 32 volt "Flat Pin T" power socket.
You can get plugs to suit at any electrical and/or accessory supplier.

GeeYou8
20th March 2016, 10:27 AM
Do you have dual battery, it may be for emergency (override) starting switch for the isolator.

x2 for dual battery parallel solenoid, DC outlets reinforce it.
Graham

palmdeira
20th March 2016, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys. Thinking it might be to connect the aux battery for starting?

ando89
20th March 2016, 11:46 AM
Either a jumper for when you have a flat main/start battery or possibly a glow plug switch. It could be for the ejector seat they did come standard on some models. Get your wife to sit in the passenger seat and press it.

MyGU8
20th March 2016, 07:46 PM
Turn on the headlight and press the button and see whether you are noticing any difference in the brightness.
Depending on the battery status it can be high or low, but it is not a guaranteed method, but worth a try.

Get your wife to sit in the passenger seat and press it.

Make sure the roof is closed.

MudRunnerTD
20th March 2016, 08:43 PM
Get someone to push it and you find the solenoid under the bonnet you can hear switching, then trace what it it switching, a solenoid is just a big Relay so it should be very easy to figure out. It could be absolutely Anything though? It it an On/Off switch or a Momentary On switch?

Everything is a guess without tracing wires. Whatever it is switching could have been removed by a previous owner years ago making it just some random switch.

nissannewby
20th March 2016, 10:14 PM
For the passenger ejector seat

Im going with this option. Could come in handy if its a zd30di lol.

Yendor
21st March 2016, 07:07 PM
LOL.... This is a thread that needs to be a sticky in the electrical section :rolleyes:

palmdeira
21st March 2016, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Wife not keen to sit and push! Need to trace those wires I guess. Seems like a momentary pb as its position doesn't change.

the evil twin
21st March 2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Wife not keen to sit and push! Need to trace those wires I guess. Seems like a momentary pb as its position doesn't change.

30 second method if you want to test/rule out the Battery Isolation solenoid...

Put your finger on the Battery management solenoid case
Get someone to press the button
You will immediately 'feel' the solenoid pull in if that is what the Button is for

If you don't have a 2nd person but have a Voltmeter...
Put the Voltmeter probes on the Aux solenoid terminal and earth and put the meter where you can see it.
Turn on the Headlights on Hi Beam
Press the button, if the voltage drops voila that is the solenoid paralleling the Aux into the circuit