PDA

View Full Version : Zd30 water to air intercooler

BigRAWesty
18th March 2016, 04:48 PM
Has anyone done it..
I'm wondering if it's worth trying..
A new air to air cooler is around the same price so $$$ ain't to much of an issue..
But has anyone done it??

the evil twin
18th March 2016, 04:53 PM
First question would be, why would you bother?
All the extra plumbing etc would be a pain in the rrse

Second question is, are you sure they around the same price?
I would have thought W2A would be at least another $1,000

Ben-e-boy
18th March 2016, 06:01 PM
First question would be, why would you bother?
All the extra plumbing etc would be a pain in the rrse

Second question is, are you sure they around the same price?
I would have thought W2A would be at least another $1,000

Personally I think w2a install is no more of a fcuk around than a front mount......even less.

the evil twin
18th March 2016, 06:36 PM
Personally I think w2a install is no more of a fcuk around than a front mount......even less.

Agree... but it is still a pretty major fcuk around, plumb and mount the intake air intercooler, plumb, wire and mount the pump, plumb and mount the W2A heat exchanger.
Front mount mena sless components but much bigger dia pipes, W2A means more components but smaller pipes

I wouldn't be keen on adding even more 'heat' into the airflow into the rad either.

nissannewby
18th March 2016, 06:49 PM
The last w2a I did runs 3 1/2" charge air pipes with 1" water lines. The biggest positive with a w2a is for the most part the charge air path will be shorter than most other types of cooling.

the evil twin
18th March 2016, 06:57 PM
The last w2a I did runs 3 1/2" charge air pipes with 1" water lines. The biggest positive with a w2a is for the most part the charge air path will be shorter than most other types of cooling.

Agree... out of curiousity how many $ (ball park) for a decent W2A for a ZD30 do you reckon?

Best setup on a Patrol I saw, well only setup I have seen in the flesh on a 'Trol so far so my experience is limited was on a TD42T Ute with the heat exchanger behind the cab

nissannewby
18th March 2016, 07:03 PM
The last I did was around the $1000 mark for all parts. Install was relatively easy. I made a cradle style mount for the cooler which was a 1200hp frozen boost unit, davis craig 120lpm pump, 1" lines, mr2 radiator as a heat exchanger.

The heat exchanger was mount in the front. Very easy to mount with everything staying in its factory position. Much easier to run 1" lines through than 2.5-3" piping for a front mount, especially with the early wide style radiator.

the evil twin
18th March 2016, 08:07 PM
The last I did was around the $1000 mark for all parts. Install was relatively easy. I made a cradle style mount for the cooler which was a 1200hp frozen boost unit, davis craig 120lpm pump, 1" lines, mr2 radiator as a heat exchanger.

The heat exchanger was mount in the front. Very easy to mount with everything staying in its factory position. Much easier to run 1" lines through than 2.5-3" piping for a front mount, especially with the early wide style radiator.

Niiiiice... cheaper than I thought as well.

nissannewby
18th March 2016, 08:16 PM
Niiiiice... cheaper than I thought as well.

As with anything you can spend 5 times that on a setup if you want.

BigRAWesty
18th March 2016, 09:36 PM

And just looking on flea bay I'm seeing them around $600 a kit. Of course that's without a pump or thermostat..

The coolers also have a large variety of setups..
One actually looks pretty close to the stock setup..
This is core only but 3.5" in and out..
Would prefer 2.5-3"..
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221728327509&alt=web

BigRAWesty
18th March 2016, 09:40 PM
Might seriously look at this one..
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=321924926855&alt=web

nissannewby
18th March 2016, 09:41 PM
Thermostat not required

MudRunnerTD
18th March 2016, 09:46 PM
My GQ runs a WtoA Frozen Boost system, works very well but was a task to fit, fitting in the GUIV would be heaps easier as there is so much more room. I had to mount the heat exchanger to the bonnet because there was no room to front mount it if I kept the aircon condenser if I wanted to run a himount winch. The EGTs in the GQ are noticeably lower than the GUIV.

BigRAWesty
18th March 2016, 10:13 PM
Thermostat not required
Do you think the bonnet scoop would help, hinder, no affect or NFI on the tranfer unit if mounted under it??

threedogs
19th March 2016, 07:22 AM
What gains are you hoping for its only a 3 ltr trying to pull a 2.5t truck ??

BigRAWesty
19th March 2016, 08:48 AM
Consistency.. I do a fair bit of beach work so slow and hot. So on those days the air to air will be more a hinder than helping

nissannewby
19th March 2016, 10:36 AM
Do you think the bonnet scoop would help, hinder, no affect or NFI on the tranfer unit if mounted under it??

Prob wont have any effect but easy enough to blank it.

Consistency.. I do a fair bit of beach work so slow and hot. So on those days the air to air will be more a hinder than helping

Dont forget you will still have a heat source in front of the rad if you mount the exchanger up front.

threedogs
19th March 2016, 10:37 AM
Why not just fit a 9" fan under the IC, seems to work for everyone else
and a hell of a lot cheaper to, less things to go wrong, what happens out the dunes
if you cant repair a split hose for EG how do you get home..

the evil twin
19th March 2016, 11:31 AM
For the years I was into 'low and slow' I had a 9 inch fan under the I/C.
Made a difference to EGT and a small reduction in Coolant temp up to about 40 KPH and by about 70 KPH didn't matter a rats.
Also made a big difference to the IC outlet tank temp (measured using a Temp Gun) but as that is under no load I don't think it may have been a reliable indication

9 inch 'slim' fits perfectly on the CRD and I def recommend under not over.

BigRAWesty
20th March 2016, 06:59 PM
Tbh I don't see it being that hard to mount a WTA cooler in place of the air to air as long as the cooler is somewhat of a similar size..

Instead of running fan and thermostat I run water lines and a pump..

But I think the biggest thing I'm thinking will be the consistency of the temps. Yea won't be perfect as it'll drop a bit when driving but I'll have the engine fan drawing air threw the exchanger at all times. Even when stopped..

threedogs
21st March 2016, 12:22 PM
TBH if these WTA set ups were all they were cut out to to be I think you'll find more on it here .
Now we have both been here about the same time and tbh this is the first time Ive heard
of someone wanting to fit a WTA to a daily driver. If it was worth it we would all have
converted years ago,think about it,,eh maybe its just a waste of monies. or more suited
to a weekend drift car.

Winnie
21st March 2016, 12:31 PM
TBH if these WTA set ups were all they were cut out to to be I think you'll find more on it here .
Now we have both been here about the same time and tbh this is the first time Ive heard
of someone wanting to fit a WTA to a daily driver. If it was worth it we would all have
converted years ago,think about it,,eh maybe its just a waste of monies. or more suited
to a weekend drift car.

I think the reason is that W2A coolers are more work to fit, and I don't know of any off the shelf kits.
Air to air intercoolers seem to be "good enough", available in kit form, and easy to fit.

There is no question that W2A is more efficient.

threedogs
21st March 2016, 12:34 PM
so why aren't more fitted ???

the evil twin
21st March 2016, 12:35 PM
My "why would you want to" point exactly...
Don't disagree that they work or that it shouldn't be done necessarily but I reckon you would need to have a clear notion of what the end results would be.

FWIW I would be more concerned about introducing coolant temp issues by wacking yet another sizeable 'radiator' in the front as I did a fair amount of towing with my CRD and towing meant higher coolant temps at high speed not low.
Down the Beach for a play meant high coolant temps at low speed

Of course if the W2A heat exchanger is mounted somewhere else that issue is gone and then it is a different discussion.

Winnie
21st March 2016, 12:48 PM
so why aren't more fitted ???

I think the reason is that W2A coolers are more work to fit, and I don't know of any off the shelf kits.
Air to air intercoolers seem to be "good enough", available in kit form, and easy to fit.

I did answer that.

Ben-e-boy
21st March 2016, 07:55 PM

There is no question that W2A is more efficient.

More work for W2A in some examples are if one was to use an A2A cooler with store bought bends and silicon joiners. Start building pipework from scratch say for a front mount will see so much more work once you template, bend, cut, tac, fit, remove, adjust, re-tac(if required), fit, check, repeat for every piece, then remove and fully weld and refit.

Top mounts, using solid piping is the same. Then there is cutting the hole in the bonnet and mounting the scoop.

I just think that the effort required for any of the types of intercooler argument is a bit null and void personally.

to a weekend drift car.

What difference does it make being a daily driver?

Because there is more componants people put it in the too hard basket.

My "why would you want to" point exactly...
Don't disagree that they work or that it shouldn't be done necessarily but I reckon you would need to have a clear notion of what the end results would be.

FWIW I would be more concerned about introducing coolant temp issues by wacking yet another sizeable 'radiator' in the front as I did a fair amount of towing with my CRD and towing meant higher coolant temps at high speed not low.
Down the Beach for a play meant high coolant temps at low speed

Of course if the W2A heat exchanger is mounted somewhere else that issue is gone and then it is a different discussion.

The heat exchanger on my my setup is lucky to be 40mm thick and with the tanks is 2/3 the size of my engine radiator core only and near enough makes no difference same height. It also has quite a coarse fin design which allows alot of airflow through the IC exchanger core to the radiator. It is also a dual pass core (inlet/outlet on the same side). In my case it made no difference to temps. Adding a himount made a difference (bugger all, but a difference was noted).

If I had the room I would get rid of my 100mm thick front mount on my g6et and replace it with a W2A any day, and that is my shopping cart.

the evil twin
21st March 2016, 08:21 PM
On a front mount... totally agree

BigRAWesty
21st March 2016, 08:31 PM
More work for W2A in some examples are if one was to use an A2A cooler with store bought bends and silicon joiners. Start building pipework from scratch say for a front mount will see so much more work once you template, bend, cut, tac, fit, remove, adjust, re-tac(if required), fit, check, repeat for every piece, then remove and fully weld and refit.

Top mounts, using solid piping is the same. Then there is cutting the hole in the bonnet and mounting the scoop.

I just think that the effort required for any of the types of intercooler argument is a bit null and void personally.

What difference does it make being a daily driver?

Because there is more componants people put it in the too hard basket.

The heat exchanger on my my setup is lucky to be 40mm thick and with the tanks is 2/3 the size of my engine radiator core only and near enough makes no difference same height. It also has quite a coarse fin design which allows alot of airflow through the IC exchanger core to the radiator. It is also a dual pass core (inlet/outlet on the same side). In my case it made no difference to temps. Adding a himount made a difference (bugger all, but a difference was noted).

If I had the room I would get rid of my 100mm thick front mount on my g6et and replace it with a W2A any day, and that is my shopping cart.
Well bloke your tipping me to try it ey.. lol..
I was on the fence but I can't really see many down points to it..