PDA

View Full Version : GU 4.2 TDI turbo?

Lewy
18th March 2016, 11:20 AM
Gday guys,

Just a quick question. What brand factory Turbo does the 2003 GU 4.2Tdi patrol use and what are its specs?

Cheers Lewy

nissannewby
18th March 2016, 06:53 PM
The genuine item is a hitachi ht18.

Lewy
18th March 2016, 07:33 PM
Ok cool thanks! I have just orded a crosscountry intercooler (will turn up next week) for it and have been ringing around for a turbo up grade! Some places say they will just re fin and rebuild my standed one for like 2500$ with dyno tune. Some say that the standeard as is is good enough. Some say to put a bigger turbo on and some say don't LOL? All I want is to have good power that comes on around 2000rpm or slightly lower.. I don't care for huge power as the GU is just our holiday 4wd and not a race car but as she sits shes 3.5t and We are looking at getting a camper trailer! What would people suggest be the best and most reliable way to go ?

Cheers Lewy65556

nissannewby
18th March 2016, 07:35 PM
Aftermarket turbo mate. Options are ufi, gturbo, garrett and borg warner.

Hodge
18th March 2016, 07:59 PM
I have just orded a crosscountry intercooler (will turn up next week)

Hey mate sorry to butt in, a bit of off-topic, but did you order direct from Cross country???

nissannewby
18th March 2016, 08:02 PM
Crossy country are very good at giving misleading delivery times on their coolers.

Hodge
18th March 2016, 08:02 PM
Crossy country are very good at giving misleading delivery times on their coolers.

Which is why I thought I'd ask, whether they told him 1 week , or the, true ETA. lol

Lewy
19th March 2016, 07:26 AM
G'day guys, They rang me on Wednesday and said its all ready to ship out so I would expect to see it this week! Bloody hope so!!! So what size aftermarket do you suggest mate? Everyone I talk to say that a bigger turbo will give me more lag and less down low power....

Cheers Lewy

Hodge
19th March 2016, 09:02 AM
G'day guys, They rang me on Wednesday and said its all ready to ship out so I would expect to see it this week! Bloody hope so!!! So what size aftermarket do you suggest mate? Everyone I talk to say that a bigger turbo will give me more lag and less down low power....

Cheers Lewy

When did you order it though. Right not the wait is 6+ weeks, maybe longer for the scoop.

Lewy
19th March 2016, 10:14 AM
Yer orded it about 6 Weekes ago now.

nissannewby
19th March 2016, 10:33 AM
Ufi 16g Large is a good option which will out perform the factory one in all aspects. Most of the others if correctly sized will also be better.

Lewy
19th March 2016, 12:38 PM
Mate is there anyone in QLD that supply these? and are they a easy bolt on kit? Just figged Id fit it all my self then take it somewhere to get tuned?

nissannewby
21st March 2016, 10:01 PM
Mate is there anyone in QLD that supply these? and are they a easy bolt on kit? Just figged Id fit it all my self then take it somewhere to get tuned?

I'm not 100% sure mate. You could certainly call ufi and ask about distributors for them. You can also buy direct from them.

Gturbo you will have to buy direct.

These above 2 will be a direct bolt on replacement.

The garrett you will prob want to use a 2863. With either a .63 bolt on housing or a .48. (These are turbine housings).

The borg warner will take a little more work but is also a good option.

These above 2 can be sourced through any of their distributors but the biggest ones are mtq and gcg.

Lewy
23rd March 2016, 08:43 PM
Ok great. So what's your thoughts on the ufi 18g? People are saying that it works better even with factory 11mm pump!

nissannewby
23rd March 2016, 08:47 PM
I had an 18g with standard pump and they are an improvement over standard. But you can really get them to shine with an upgraded pump. A 16g will still be more than enough for the standard pump with possibly a slightly quicker response than the 18g. However both will be better than stock.