PDA

View Full Version : TD42 to TD42Ti

Sharky1
8th March 2016, 10:13 PM
Hi folks, sorry I haven't been on for a while. Pressures of life bla bla.

A few mths ago I added a Kinugawa TD05 18G & HPD top mount cooler to my car, tuned to 15psi. The eng was rebuilt 40,000km prior. Anyhoo long story short, I'm suspect my original pistons may have been reused & even if they weren't they didn't even hone the cylinders. I got water in the fuel sys from a bad batch of fuel & since then my motor started blowing oil out the PCV & then 2 days later it cracked No.1 piston on the crown. So my question is this, what are the internal differences between TD42 & TD42T?

I know the pistons & rods are different & have a slightly larger gudgeon pin & the oil squirters are a bit longer. I'm not so worried about the oil squirters but I want to build it to turbo spec as much as poss.

Any tips & advice appreciated. Car is 1998 GU

Ben-e-boy
8th March 2016, 10:35 PM
It depends if you are comparing blacktop or silver top to factory turbo

Edit. Just saw its a 98 model

All you need is turbo pistons and squirters. That'll do

Ben-e-boy
9th March 2016, 01:12 AM
Can you post up a pic of the crack in the piston please

Sharky1
10th March 2016, 11:11 PM
Cant upload it man. My ph & my laptop aren't talking to ea other. If u PM me ur mob number I can text it to u & u can post it up in ur comments?

It's cracked on the crown, The crack is about an 35-40mm long & goes from edge of piston to center & then a very fine hairline crack returns to the edge on about a 90deg angle. Crack is pretty much below inlet valve.

I should add that there was quite a diff in compression between cyls too. 6 & 5 had about 285psi, 4 had 375, 3 & 2 had 420psi & climbing, 1 had 0psi. I had noticed a drop in compression by the power output & tone of the motor in recent weeks.

Do the longer squirters really make that much of a difference?

Ben-e-boy
11th March 2016, 01:15 AM
Cant upload it man. My ph & my laptop aren't talking to ea other. If u PM me ur mob number I can text it to u & u can post it up in ur comments?

It's cracked on the crown, The crack is about an 35-40mm long & goes from edge of piston to center & then a very fine hairline crack returns to the edge on about a 90deg angle. Crack is pretty much below inlet valve.

I should add that there was quite a diff in compression between cyls too. 6 & 5 had about 285psi, 4 had 375, 3 & 2 had 420psi & climbing, 1 had 0psi. I had noticed a drop in compression by the power output & tone of the motor in recent weeks.

Do the longer squirters really make that much of a difference?

You'll need the squirters to match the piston. Thats how oil gets up under the crown for cooling and lubricating

Sharky1
11th March 2016, 07:55 PM
There can't be any difference in the deck height of the piston. The only difference other than better quality could be crown thickness & maybe skirt desgin both of which would make my squirters adequate. I think from memory the differnce in the squirters was the turbo ones were longer so they shot oil up higher to keep the piston from getting hot at the top of the stroke

nissannewby
11th March 2016, 08:10 PM
The squirters actually line up with an orifice in the piston hence why you need the appropriate squirters.

If you know the answers why ask questions....

Clunk
11th March 2016, 08:45 PM
The squirters actually line up with an orifice in the piston hence why you need the appropriate squirters.

Sounds kinky

Sharky1
12th March 2016, 01:33 PM

I clearly stated "I THINK FORM MEMORY" which in the english language means I'm not sure. Why answer if you think I already know?

Clunk
12th March 2016, 05:01 PM
I clearly stated "I THINK FORM MEMORY" which in the english language means I'm not sure. Why answer if you think I already know?
Why answer if you think he thinks you already know