PDA

View Full Version : Error code 0703 and ECU Talk

mickn
7th March 2016, 07:24 PM
Good evening all,

I'm starting to get some issues with my 2003 ZD30 with 180k on the clock. I'm getting intermittent 'no starts' with an error code '0703 Injection Pump communication line'. Once I clear the code it's fine again till next time. (obviously)

There doesn't seem to be any set of circumstances which bring this issue on. It just happens sometimes.

Can someone advise what I should be doing to rectify the issue? I'm looking at replacing injectors anyway (noisy) and may as well do the glow plugs while i'm there, but the mystery of an IP is beyond my level of understanding. Perhaps I should have bout a petrol to start with.

On a secondary (don't think it's connected) matter my ECUTalk seems to have stopped working. Is there anyone in the Sunbury/North Melbourne areas who would be willing to let me hook up my ECU Talk and laptop to see if I can work out whether it's my cable or my truck which is faulty?

mudski
7th March 2016, 08:18 PM
I had this exact code and my pump was terminated. The pump has printed circuit board built into it. Usually this code is the pcb starting to fail. Unfortunately, the pcb is not a thing that can be replaced too.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mickn
7th March 2016, 08:47 PM
Cheers Mudski,

was yours intermittent too? Mine can go for a while without throwing a tanti again. Can you recommend a place to rebuild the pump?

Petrol engines are SO MUCH easier to understand....................

mudski
7th March 2016, 09:55 PM
Cheers Mudski,

was yours intermittent too? Mine can go for a while without throwing a tanti again. Can you recommend a place to rebuild the pump?

Petrol engines are SO MUCH easier to understand....................
Mine wasnt intermittent. It just stopped dead. As for rebuilds i dont think you can rebuild them. I could be wrong with this assumption though. I just pulled the entire motor out instead. Lol.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

threedogs
9th March 2016, 08:31 AM
Dont have their number handy but give Dieseltec a call maybe

mickn
9th March 2016, 08:29 PM
Will do threedogs, thanks.

mickn
6th April 2016, 09:12 PM
Ok now I don't know what's happening. I replaced the IP, injectors and glowplugs. Got my ECUTalk working (thanks for the warranty service Peter).

After putting it all back together it started easily once the air was purged from the lines etc. Much quieter in the injectors but engine light still on and showing 0703 code again. Once turned off, wouldn't start again. Eventually got it going once more but now won't go.

After turning it over and getting a no start, there is a buzzing sound coming from the IP which stops (obviously) if I disconnect the harness. If the pump is making this sound, it won't start. It only makes the noise after the starter has been turned over for a few seconds, not only if ignition turned on.

Could clear the 0703 code once, but the ECUtalk usually says that the code returned immediately after clearing.

I'm at the end of my tether with this!

threedogs
7th April 2016, 09:53 AM
More than welcome to come here to check your ecu-talk.
Did you disconnect the battery at all the ECU may still have bad memory.
Also try changing the EMC relay with the air con one just for test purposes.
They maybe brown but swap any two, mark them first you'll find them under the dash

mickn
8th April 2016, 08:24 AM
:rolleyes:Thanks to everyone that offered their valuable experience and advice. I removed the dtronic chip and its all good again..

mudski
8th April 2016, 02:07 PM
:rolleyes:Thanks to everyone that offered their valuable experience and advice. I removed the dtronic chip and its all good again..

Wow! You spent so much trying to find the issue and it was the chip?! Wonder what Dtronic would have to say about it...

Heres a list of the codes....
0087 Fuel Rail System (Pressure too low)
0089 Air in fuel System
0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor
0103 Coolant temp sender
0104 Vehicle speed sensor
0203 Throttle pedal switch
0208 Overheating Fault (Cooling Fan control)
0234 Turbo Over boost
0301 Engine ECU
0402 Fuel temperature sensor
0403 Throttle pedal position sensor
0406 Intake air volume VNC system
0407 Crankshaft position sensor
0502 Battery voltage
0504 Auto Trans communication line
0505 No faults detected
0660 Intake Manifold Tuning Valve Control Circuit (Bank 1)
0701 Injection Pump – cam ring position sensor
0702 Injection Pump – TDC pulse sensor
0703 Injection Pump communication line
0704 Injection Pump – spill valve
0705 Injection Pump – Circuit malfunction, poor fuel quality, Pump Control Unit Failure
0706 Injection Pump –spill valve
0707 Injection Pump injection timing control
0802 Engine ECU (Barometric Pressure Sensor)
0804 Engine ECU
0807 Stop lamp switch/circuit
0901 Engine ECU (calculation malfunction)
0902 Engine ECU relay (incorrect voltage from relay to ECU
0903 Engine ECU (internal signal processing malfunction)
0905 Turbo Pressure (Intake air pressure sensor)
1003 EGR volume control valve
1004 Injection Pump – fuel cut out system
1401 NATS locked
1402 NATS locked
1403 NATS locked
1404 NATS locked
1405 NATS locked
1406 NATS locked
1407 NATS locked
1408 NATS locked

mickn
9th April 2016, 10:21 AM
I dont think the dtronic is manufactured anymore. I'll try the truck without a chip for a while to see how it goes. Seems to be a waste tk have a three inch exhaust on an unchipped motor though.

Yeah, spent a heap but the injectors and glow plugs were cactus anyway. Probably didn't really need to drop 2.2 k on a remanufactured injector pump though........

BTW, i can heartily recommend the customer service from Cornell Diesel in West Sunshine. Very professional and the cheapest ip quote i got from about six places.

mudski
11th April 2016, 05:46 PM
Yeah Cornells are really good at what they do thats for sure. For what its worth. The chip is really only good when towing and under load. My ol' 3ltr had a DP chip and it made zero difference without the chip with no load. But when towing the camper that when it made the difference. But that was a DP Chip. Can't say for other brands. Maybe your chip was just faulty too??? Who knows?