PDA

View Full Version : New suspension opinions

Covo71
5th March 2016, 04:41 PM
This is to the GQ boys (or girls) out there. I am looking for a 2" lift for a GQ.
I had Dobinsons springs and shocks on the GU. No experience with GQ's.
I am after opinions from people that have a GQ / Mav.
I drive a 1992 4.2l diesel Mav.
It is a daily drive so I think 2" is the way to go and don't have thousands to throw around.
I have decided to go 265/75 16 for rubbers.
I am looking for something fairly decent as I will be hitting the tracks around Coffs Harbour.

So what are your ideas and opinions on what's out there?
Cheers
Scotty

Covo71
5th March 2016, 06:55 PM
No GQ drivers want to say what they are using?

Clunk
5th March 2016, 07:13 PM
Well it is the weekend mate, not everyone is going to be stuck on the forum all day..... even me believe it or not.

But in answer to your question.... I had a 2in OME setup in my first GQ.worked well, good comfy ride.

2nd GQ had a 2in West Coast suspension kit, which I found a bit wollowy, but that was probably due to age. ..... now running terrain tamer shocks and king springs. Much firmer ride too earlyto give a proper verdict

Covo71
5th March 2016, 07:25 PM
Sorry, do tend to forget the good people out there with lives. Trying to scrimp and save to build up the Mav so not doing too much. It is doing my head in all the great 4wdriving here but with the truck being completely stock I am very dubious about taking out.
I thought the dobinsons were a bit harsh but probably my fault not buying the right Spring rates. OME a little pricy for me.

Clunk
5th March 2016, 07:37 PM
Youll be surprised where your stock gq will go mate. All about picking the lines and giving it a go. My first one was stock for 2 years before I managed to source some almost new 2nd hand OMEs

BigRAWesty
5th March 2016, 07:39 PM
I also have a 2" OME lift.
The only fault I have with it is the shocks are a little tight..
But about 100'000k on them and they are as good as the day they went in..
Haven't sagged and shocks are still very good..

Covo71
5th March 2016, 07:41 PM
Yeah, just don't want to be the nob going out and getting stuck and then told it is because no lift, half worn skinny road tyres and no way of recovering myself. I do a pretty good job of making myself out to be a nob now. Lol

BigRAWesty
5th March 2016, 08:01 PM
The patrol will go plenty of places on stick setup, good tyres and a winch lol..

MudRunnerTD
5th March 2016, 08:46 PM
Spend as much as you can on suspension, you might do 200,000kms on the right setup. My GUIV has OME under it and the lift has 150,000kms on it and not looking to change at the moment. It's the foundation of your car and your build. Better to spend a little more now than buy a second time at 50 or 100,000 kms cause you went for a cheaper option.

But cheaper tyre a if you have too without compromising on safety.

OME would get my money under a GQ weekender / daily.

threedogs
6th March 2016, 10:19 AM
Youll be surprised where your stock gq will go mate. All about picking the lines and giving it a go. My first one was stock for 2 years before I managed to source some almost new 2nd hand OMEs

X 2 with Clunk the GQ in its day was the best 4x4 off the the show room floor
they take well to mods to increase their off road ability. You'd be hard pressed
to find another 4x4 as tough as a GQ. EFS are Ok , I suggest you go weigh each
axle armed with that info go and buy the correct spring rate for your GQ.
Do you intend towing at any stage?? you might want a slight down hill
look when its all fitted as well. when hooked up and loaded this will flatten out
the ride

garett
6th March 2016, 10:34 AM
i'm running 2 inch lift comfort king springs took a couple months to soften up but i'm happy with the ride. running monuroe h/d shocks seems pretty good so far. they been on for what 6 months or so.
doing all the work myself maybe $1000 including 2 degree offset bushes cos it went twitchy with out em. change your spring mats if they look a bit worn too.

SupRob
7th March 2016, 02:28 PM
I can price you a set of koni shocks :driving2:

Covo71
7th March 2016, 07:00 PM
I can price you a set of koni shocks :driving2:
Definitely please. What sort of springs do you match them to?