PDA

View Full Version : Pre Cleaners

cooper_hask
2nd March 2016, 03:04 PM
hi guys, im going on a trip around easter to robe and im wondering whether it is worth getting a pre cleaner? wouldnt it reduced power and increase fuel consumption?

Rock Trol
2nd March 2016, 09:33 PM
I think the idea is to use them when you are doing slow work on dusty tracks so the car does not suck in too much dust. Usually its low revs in low range. Could be wrong though.

But out on the highway when the engine is sucking in air as hard as it can, any restriction in air flow can affect egt and fuel economy.

Patrol'n
2nd March 2016, 10:07 PM
I've just put one on mine as we're doing a trip soon, (I'm hoping to decrease the amount of insects and dust my air cleaner collects), haven't noticed any decrease in power or increase in fuel consumption, I don't know if this would be the same with every truck, but that's my experience so far.

MudRunnerTD
2nd March 2016, 10:10 PM
Only worth doing in a Convoy and dusty environment.. Take a spare element. Check it every day. Beach driving I see no need at all.

cooper_hask
2nd March 2016, 10:25 PM
thanks guys dont think i will use it then

GeeYou8
4th March 2016, 12:13 AM
A workmate with a nissan snorkel on a GU7 used a sock type (actually took 2) on a recent trip, clogged it, swapped it, cleaned it. Obviously stopped lots of crap getting to the filter.
If you can turn the top to face backwards (very noisy) when on tracks you will stop a lot of debris, but if you can turn it around you probably can fit a centrifugal pre filter, I have one that I used for the GQ (steel snorkel) that I swapped over as we left the black top.
Graham

Wizard52
4th March 2016, 05:08 PM
A workmate with a nissan snorkel on a GU7 used a sock type (actually took 2) on a recent trip, clogged it, swapped it, cleaned it. Obviously stopped lots of crap getting to the filter.
If you can turn the top to face backwards (very noisy) when on tracks you will stop a lot of debris, but if you can turn it around you probably can fit a centrifugal pre filter, I have one that I used for the GQ (steel snorkel) that I swapped over as we left the black top.
Graham

I turned my genuine Nissan top around as much as I could (about 120/130 degrees) and it helps heaps in reducing crap in filter and no noticeable change in performance as turbo will suck as much air as it needs. A bit more noise with passenger window down.

threedogs
4th March 2016, 06:00 PM
I would just turn the head around or go but a proper Donaldson pre cleaner
not sure how effective they on a TD engine