PDA

View Full Version : GQ ute brakes smoking?

mark89
2nd March 2016, 02:00 PM
Hey fellas bit of a back story I replaced wheel bearings over Xmas holidays (2000ks ago maybe) and 500ks ago put some new rims and tyres on, anyway was driving in heavy traffic on a 40 degree day and notice smoke coming from drivers side wheel so pulled over stopped had a look was from the brake disc area quite a bit of smoke. Drove to where I was going using minimal brakes all good same as next day probably did 50ks in mild traffic being very easy on the brakes and all semt fine (hubs not getting hot at all either) any opinions on my issue? Guessing possibly piston is seized but I'm not sure. After the next day car got parked up and I went away for work but home next week and keen to sort it, its full disc brake GQ ute BTW thanks people.

Col.T
3rd March 2016, 07:00 PM
G'day Mark,
weird, man, weird.
Try jacking the front up so you can spin both wheels. If you've got a clear 'bind' in the smokey one it should not spin as easily or as long as the near side wheel.
You may be able to hear what part is catching.
In my experience, pistons don't seize so much as have a fail in the rubber seal and you get fluid leakage.
Assuming your bearings are a good job and the treads aren't catching which from smoking discs seems no chance and the brake pads, clips etc. are correct (and you can compare one side to the other), dunno where you go.
Last resort, pull both sides down systematically and compare. The crook part should be noticeable.....with luck.
Luck,
Col

Wine_maker
4th March 2016, 03:17 PM
Hi mate!
I think you have a problem with pin-sliders on brake calipers. They have no lubricants or they are bend.

Just try to unscrew brake caliper. If they are bend it will be hard to do and you should change them. Or just lubricate them if they are well.

Ramsey
4th March 2016, 07:52 PM
When I changed my pads and rotors I checked my caliper pins and they were seized from over the years or sea water and some gremlin getting into it. I ending up getting new pins and remember to use silicone paste and not wheel bearing grease. Mix those together and you get candle wax, I learnt that the hard way. Suss out the pins.

garett
5th March 2016, 08:10 AM
not 100% but i know falcons that have this issue we change the brake master. there is a port that blocks up in the master and won't let the fluid out hence the brakes stay on.( most common on one wheel on both falcons/comonwhores)

if you can't find anything wrong with the calliper it's worth a look.

dom14
5th March 2016, 08:42 PM
remember to use silicone paste and not wheel bearing grease. Mix those together and you get candle wax, I learnt that the hard way. Suss out the pins.

Use caliper rubber grease(red rubber grease). Silicone paste is a different thing.

http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

Ramsey
7th March 2016, 11:18 PM
Use caliper rubber grease(red rubber grease). Silicone paste is a different thing.

http://www.redrubbergrease.com/

Sorry not silicone paste, I used Bendix brake lube, forgot what the main ingredient is, came in a little sachet.