PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Coal

Rock Trol
1st March 2016, 10:11 PM
About 2 weeks ago I was being followed by a couple of Toyota drivers (mates) who told me that there was a lot of black smoke coming out the exhaust. Last weekend I cleaned the MAF, reset the ECU and put a new air filter in. The MAF was dirty so I was hoping this would fix the problem. Today after a pub dinner with said Tojo driver I took off while he was watching and he said it was smoking. He then drove it while watched and it smoked all the way through the rev range. Black smoke.

A few months ago while we were at Loveday they followed me all day and no smoke was coming out so something has changed. Boost seems OK and power also seem good. Any ideas?
I am thinking possible injectors (CR engine). I will need to take it in for someone to check it but just wondering if anyone has had the same thing.

MudRunnerTD
1st March 2016, 11:18 PM
has it got plenty of power? when AB bought his Nav it was blowing a heap of smoke all of a sudden but it turned our to be a blown Intercooler Hose.

threedogs
2nd March 2016, 11:32 AM
has it got plenty of power? when AB bought his Nav it was blowing a heap of smoke all of a sudden but it turned our to be a blown Intercooler Hose.

A blown IC hose will blow black smoke ,but you'd notice it as you would have no power

Maybe run some injector cleaner through it and go for a decent drive

Rock Trol
2nd March 2016, 08:21 PM
It's got plenty of power. Feels quite strong. The boost gauges all show that boost is normal (15-17 psi) when under load. I checked intercooler hose clamps and they are all tight. Might check for splits but the engine is going like stink which makes me suspect that more fuel than needed is being added. Maybe crank angle sensor? Injectors?

Is there a cam sensor on these things? On another forum someone mentioned similar symptoms that was fixed by changing the cam sensor. Not sure if he meant cam or crank though. Too many bloody sensors on these things.

Rock Trol
2nd March 2016, 08:30 PM
For anyone wondering what the reference to "rolling coal" is, check out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOAnoMRHruQ