PDA

View Full Version : 2001 3.0l prolonging its life

cooper_hask
29th February 2016, 11:49 AM
hi all, ive just made the mistake and bought a 2001 3.0l gu and now after reading a bit about them ive realised that they can be so temperamental. the previous owner was reluctant to tell me that there was a new engine put in the patrol 5,000km before we bought it (didnt realise until we found a receipt in the center console) i couldnt find any information from the mechanics that did the replacement so i have no idea on how old the engine is. ive been looking at all the suggestions on how to stop my 3.0l from blowing up, i believe its caused by over boosting? one of the blokes from ironman 4x4 said we needed to setup up a dawes valve and im hearing about setting up a needle valve aswell and an egt gauge aswell. the engine is completely stock same with the exhaust. can anyone send me in the right way to getting my 3.0l sorted?
cheers
Cooper

4bye4
29th February 2016, 12:40 PM
Yes mate - search this forum for NADS and you should get all the help you need. When yiou are ready to fit NADS, mudski should have most of the gear.

threedogs
29th February 2016, 01:18 PM
Drive it like you just stole it,,,,, First job fit gauges ,,boost and EGT,,,
then fit a dawes and needle valve,, then go back to first line again.
Dont let it coke up. Check your IC to if its oily its leaking, replace
with a pressure tested one. A lot is written on this but Google
Chaz Yellowfoot who I believe a guru of these Damn ZD30 motors

http://chaz.yellowfoot.org/Manual%20Boost%20Controller.htm

mudski
29th February 2016, 03:19 PM
Well if you bought the motor not knowing that the engine was new only 5k ago isnt that a good thing? Better than NOT having the new motor.
Or have i read it wrong....

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

cooper_hask
29th February 2016, 04:05 PM
yeah im pretty happy about the new motor i just have no knowledge about what it has been through like how many k's and what year its from. also we had a slight overheating problem early this year but it just turned out to be the radiator

threedogs
29th February 2016, 04:33 PM
Yeah the radiators tend to block along the bottom with dust/mud
When at the car wash give it a squirt but dont pull the trigger.
Also the engine number may be able to tell you what year the motor
was made,?

Rock Trol
29th February 2016, 09:12 PM
As TD said, don't be afraid to rev the ZD30. It's not good to lug the motor in low revs. If towing up hills and the motor starts to lose revs, it's much better drop it in 3rd than putting the foot down in 4th.
These engines can over fuel quite easily when the revs are low and the load is high. The ECU just doesn't monitor enough of the engines vital signs to know if something is not as it should be. That's why, even with NADS these motors have been known to melt pistons.