PDA

View Full Version : TD42 rebuild

mr_bigglesworth
22nd February 2016, 08:02 AM
Hi All,

Long time lurker on the forum, but don't post all that much. I know there are about a billion threads on this topic, and I've read few quite a few of them. But thought I'd post up my specific situation for advice.

Considering having a rebuild done on my TD42 / buy a reconditioned motor. Currently have a black top GU that was N/A. Has had a turbo kit put on it but that is it. it lacks power up hills when on the highway and I seem to have touble keeping the EGT under control - the other day EGT were heating up unusually fast and I pulled over, started smoking from under the bonnet on the drivers side but couldn't pin point where it came from. Still starts and runs fine tho.

So going to put it in to be looked at, but if it's going to be an expensive job, I'l just to a rebuild as i was giong to do that anyway at some stage.

As I said, engine is a black top N/A in a GU patrol. Has 200'000 on the clock. I have a budget of up to 10k, so wondering if it is best getting a TD42-T engine that has been rebuilt and drop that in (saw a bloke on ebay selling these for about 6k), or rebuild the current engine and get all the good bits put in.

p.s. and any reccomendations for the east side of melbourne to have it done?

nissannewby
22nd February 2016, 10:17 AM
If you have a budget of 10k I would highly recommend just buying a td42t crate motor. Brand new over a rebuild is a good thing as some rebuilds can have issues. Ferntree gully nissan seem to always have stock of crate engines.

Covo71
22nd February 2016, 11:34 AM
Hi Mate, I would get your engine checked out before doing anything else. You might be rebuilding for nothing. If it only has 200k on the clock on a td42 that is pretty low kms. Is it blowing a ton of smoke? Is it boosting ok? hi egt's and no power sounds more like you turbo has shit itself. If you don't have to rebuild you can do a lot with $10k.