PDA

View Full Version : Instrument lighting fuse.

beexy
19th February 2016, 06:59 AM
Hi all.

Fuse for my instrument panel lighting went last night. Replace the appropriate fuse which was rated 10. Blew again. 15. Blew again. Put a20 amp fuse in and happy days. It's this gong to cause issues or am i five leaving the 20 amp in?

threedogs
19th February 2016, 07:33 AM
Id say you have an issue in the circuit somewhere ?
Check it with a test light

Yendor
19th February 2016, 07:37 AM
There is a good chance by leaving the 20 amp fuse in that you will overheat the wires and possibly start a fire. You need to find the short that is causing the 10amp fuse to blow.

Start by checking your trailer plug and it's harness for damage. You may need to pull the trailer plug apart and inspect the wires connections on the back of the plug.

Have you just installed a new radio?

beexy
19th February 2016, 08:08 AM
No just had a dual battery installed. Am heading away Sunday. No night driving planned. Might just take the fuse out for now and get it checked out when i return

threedogs
19th February 2016, 08:17 AM
you may have a squashed wire under the battery tray ,
hard to say really without seeing it. Seeing you just had
work done thats where Id look first.

my third 256
20th February 2016, 07:19 AM
disconect 2nd battery and see what it does then

the evil twin
20th February 2016, 03:08 PM
What Rodney said x2

That fuse (15) is also for your clearance lamps so check the trailer plug, trailer plug loom, clearance lamps for damage/corroded etc.
When they fitted the dual battery did they tap in to any dash wiring for battery monitors, override switches etc?
If so that would be a good place to check as well

garett
20th February 2016, 08:02 PM
try putting a globe in the fuse holder then move the wiring until it goes out them you've found the fault.

beexy
25th February 2016, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the input guys. As I'm not flash with electrics might just run it down to the auto elec for a look.