PDA

View Full Version : The short trip blues.......

Bloodyaussie
18th February 2016, 10:25 AM
As of late with both my kids starting school many suburbs apart I find myself doing lots of short trips and many of them in a day..

This is temporary (about 6 weeks) but my car is grumpy at me and feels rough and gerky and all in all in a bad mood...

I use to get this on my Kawasaki as it loved nothing more than eating up big touring miles and I feel my TD is the same.

Does anyone else notice or go through the same.

nissannewby
18th February 2016, 10:28 AM
Yep. I only drive 3km to work and the ole girl doesnt like it. Hence I push it to 4000rpm everytime I drive it. But it gets much nicer after a good 1 hr plus trip.

BigRAWesty
18th February 2016, 10:32 AM
Yep absolutely..
When the q was doing short 5 k daily trips it become a slug..
Then when I got a job out of town and now driving 60 k a day it's good..
Less fuel used, less smoke, smoother..
Throw some injection cleaner / octane booster in it and that'll help..

Ben-e-boy
18th February 2016, 12:06 PM
My gq was the same. I use the company car for short trips around town. Short start stop , on off trips help with sludge buildup on a td and it really doesn't allow everything to get to a nice temp so it can also contribute to excess wear on internal components ( over time). Like mat says give it a rev and make it work

Winnie
18th February 2016, 12:14 PM
Jonathan I reckon that in the long run you would be better off buying a cheap shitter for daily driving and parking the Patrol.
You'd save the $1000 odd bucks it would cost every year to keep on the road in wear and tear on the Patrol. Plus you would not have to rush around to fix stuff, you could park it and do it when you get a chance. Worth a think about anyway...

My Patrol is in a bad way at the moment but I have not got the time at the moment to spend on it. Hope I'll get a chance this weekend.

Bloodyaussie
18th February 2016, 12:18 PM
Well I hope to have the company ute soon so my car will be parked up... fingers crossed.

They really do have a life of their own dont they..... as mentioned mine is very grumpy at me and having the wife and the car in the shits with me is too much to bare ...lol

Winnie
18th February 2016, 12:33 PM
Well I hope to have the company ute soon so my car will be parked up... fingers crossed.

You and Bruce won't know yourselves... sooooooo no excuses now not to drive Ellis track???
Having a company car is the best thing to happen to my Patrol.

threedogs
18th February 2016, 12:42 PM
Yep. I only drive 3km to work and the ole girl doesnt like it. Hence I push it to 4000rpm everytime I drive it. But it gets much nicer after a good 1 hr plus trip.

Come on Matt 3k break out the Pushy,
3k you're killing it slowly lol
Mine is not even warm in 3ks

Bloodyaussie
18th February 2016, 01:23 PM
Come on Matt 3k break out the Pushy,
3k you're killing it slowly lol
Mine is not even warm in 3ks

Ha ha haha ha ha ha... thats what I was thinking.

Come on Matt whatcha doing...lol

Yes Christopher I know it is exactly what the doctor ordered... as for Ellis I have no issues doing it at all after seeing the Videos it was just all the scare mongering that made me think it was much worse... I'll just borrow a set of 35's and with my twin lockers and Chinese winch will kill it !!!!

Hodge
18th February 2016, 01:30 PM
I definitely found this after I got the 4.2 ... 3L was just all around more zippy to get here and there no issues. With the 4.2 just going around the corner to get a pizza or something feels like I'm starting up a big Cat D11 and by the time it gets warm I'm back home ...
But I love it.
My neighbors love it too....
4.2 loves the hwy miles though that's for sure.

Tapatalked from S6

threedogs
18th February 2016, 01:31 PM
As most said nothing a good blast down the freeway wouldnt fix.

nissannewby
18th February 2016, 01:39 PM

Yes Christopher I know it is exactly what the doctor ordered... as for Ellis I have no issues doing it at all after seeing the Videos it was just all the scare mongering that made me think it was much worse... I'll just borrow a set of 35's and with my twin lockers and Chinese winch will kill it !!!!

I have a work ute now. And 90% of time I take the young fella to day care and pick him up.

Winnie
18th February 2016, 01:47 PM

Yeah the scare tactic was for a reason though.
35s??? Who needs 35s?? Ellis is a 33 track!!

Bloodyaussie
18th February 2016, 02:06 PM
I have a work ute now. And 90% of time I take the young fella to day care and pick him up.

Dont worry I cant talk..... lol

lhurley
18th February 2016, 03:04 PM
Ive got a 70km round trip to work and i still have a daily. Not having to rush to fix things, or the extra maintenance of an older car, make having a daily all the better. I do still drive my patrol at least once a fortnight.

BigRAWesty
18th February 2016, 05:27 PM
I wonder if the zd will suffer the same as the td.. only time will tell

mudski
18th February 2016, 06:54 PM
Coming from a ZD, i will say that the ZD was easier to drive around town on the short trips. But when nothing beats the td when boost comes on hard at around 2000rpm, its wet and you steering into a corner. You soon find out if the lsd is working or not. Lol.
But yeah. I wish it wasnt my daily. I have a few things i would like to do which need the car off the road for some time.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

jay see
18th February 2016, 07:23 PM
Yeah the scare tactic was for a reason though.
35s??? Who needs 35s?? Ellis is a 33 track!!

In all seriousness. How doable is it without lockers. In the dry of course.
Seems the biggest issue was ground clearance.

jay see
18th February 2016, 07:26 PM
Have any of you guys thought about putting your patrols on club reg. Don't know if the other states have something similar.
I know if the funds allow, I'll like to turn mine into a weekend warrior.

mudski
18th February 2016, 07:32 PM
Have any of you guys thought about putting your patrols on club reg. Don't know if the other states have something similar.
I know if the funds allow, I'll like to turn mine into a weekend warrior.
Your only allowed to do a certain amount of k's per week or month or something arent you? Dunno how it works but the young bloke across the road, his mate has a VN on club reg, and he drives it all the time.

jay see
18th February 2016, 07:42 PM
Your only allowed to do a certain amount of k's per week or month or something arent you? Dunno how it works but the young bloke across the road, his mate has a VN on club reg, and he drives it all the time.

I think it's 90 times a year. You do need to carry a log book. There is two types H plate is historic and M plate is modified. The M plates need to be engineered. Nobody get that one as the coppers don't enforce it. Yet.

BigRAWesty
18th February 2016, 07:44 PM
Coming from a ZD, i will say that the ZD was easier to drive around town on the short trips. But when nothing beats the td when boost comes on hard at around 2000rpm, its wet and you steering into a corner. You soon find out if the lsd is working or not. Lol.
But yeah. I wish it wasnt my daily. I have a few things i would like to do which need the car off the road for some time.

Funny you say that.. I had a lsd testing situation a week or so ago lol..
In 3rd..
I love it..
Boost hits and your in your seat..
Geeze I wish I had the cash for the gq!!!

katwoman
18th February 2016, 07:53 PM
I think it's 90 times a year. You do need to carry a log book. There is two types H plate is historic and M plate is modified. The M plates need to be engineered. Nobody get that one as the coppers don't enforce it. Yet.

Pretty close. You can get 45 days or 90.
The car must be 25 years or older, and you need to be a financial member of a club, and abide by their rules. You also need a full RWC.

jay see
18th February 2016, 07:59 PM
The car must be 25 years or older, and you need to be a financial member of a club, and abide by their rules. You also need a full RWC.

Thanks Kat.
I did know about the 25 years and the roadie. Wasn't completely sure about the being a club member tho.

Winnie
18th February 2016, 11:00 PM
Yeah look you could drive all the chicken tracks without a locker but what is the point... Front locker is absolutely required.

Ben-e-boy
19th February 2016, 01:45 AM

Not the same I dont think. I firmly believe that the zd's that grenaded before 100thou kms on the clock were lugged around on short trips

BigRAWesty
19th February 2016, 05:12 AM
Not the same I dont think. I firmly believe that the zd's that grenaded before 100thou kms on the clock were lugged around on short trips
And that's what I'm thinking the consistent stop start ain't good for any engine..
Will just have to go camping and driving more often. Bugger 😆

katwoman
19th February 2016, 12:12 PM
Thanks Kat.
I did know about the 25 years and the roadie. Wasn't completely sure about the being a club member tho.

You also can't tow or use the car to go to and from work.

threedogs
19th February 2016, 04:07 PM

Get caught without your log book filled out, be prepared to have another one ripped for you

threedogs
19th February 2016, 04:11 PM

You might be surprised how far a well sorted 4x4 with the right tyres and driver will go.
Some guys make it look easy ,,,Trent Leen springs to mind, and no damage either.
Anyone can floor it up a hill eh but I think we're past that stage,,,lol

Wizard52
21st February 2016, 09:32 AM
Just to show how our 4.2's hate short trips around town. When I went to the Cape in 2014, the further I went the better the fuel economy got-eg home to Mackay 14.07 Lp100k,
then to Mareeba 13.07 then back to Mareeba after a trip out to Chillago area 12.26 then to Weipa via Cairns and Cooktown 11.85 (some good tail winds for some of this). It looked like I was going to get paid by fuel companies to drive if this trend continued but back to reality when I hit the dirt.
Overall I did 7950 lkm and averaged 13.23 so more than happy as I was running at GVM on standard 265/75 Bridgestone 694's