PDA

View Full Version : Awning mounting

beexy
16th February 2016, 02:11 PM
Hi all

Mounting an awning today on the roof rack. Due to the angle of the rack side arms, the awning is on a slight angle. When setting up the awning i noticed the side arms seem to point a bit skyward causing them to bend slightly when all connected up. Is this going to be an issue or is this normal?

4bye4
16th February 2016, 02:35 PM
I had the same issue so I made a couple of angle brackets to make it verticle. Bolted the brackets to the cross pieces that hold the rack.

threedogs
16th February 2016, 02:44 PM
Not sure what you mean <do you have a piture or drawing of whats happening,
What brand awning is it,,,,,I made my own awning mount, in your case you
wouldnt want things under tension all the time.

threedogs
16th February 2016, 02:49 PM
I made my own mounts as well, do you have a roof rack or roof bars??
Not good to have anything under tension IMO

beexy
16th February 2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys. Is a steel rack. Cane with some L brackets to mount to the mesh so may try that and see how we go. Wish i had of tight of that before drilling. Oh well lucky the awning will cover them up.

threedogs
16th February 2016, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys. Is a steel rack. Cane with some L brackets to mount to the mesh so may try that and see how we go. Wish i had of tight of that before drilling. Oh well lucky the awning will cover them up.

If you get stuck come around and Ill see what we can do

mudski
16th February 2016, 03:07 PM
This is what i did....short bolt in the bottom and a longer one at the top with a nut on either side of the roof rack brace so you can adjust the angle...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/02/195.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

beexy
16th February 2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks three dogs. I am a stubborn male so I'll see how we go haha.

Mudski, is that the L bracket with a longer bolt on the top to a drilled hole?

threedogs
16th February 2016, 03:20 PM
Better put some pics so you can get some ideas, now I made the long
yellow beam because I only have a 3/4 rack and had too much up front flapping around IMO.
The yellow bar is bolted to the roof rack mounting plates, it was too low so I made the green bits to
lift it up, its not going anywhere fast if you ask me.
OOI did you mount it on the left or right hand side??

beexy
16th February 2016, 03:20 PM
Sorry double post. Please delete this one

mudski
16th February 2016, 03:25 PM
Thanks three dogs. I am a stubborn male so I'll see how we go haha.

Mudski, is that the L bracket with a longer bolt on the top to a drilled hole?

No L brackets mate. A short bolt slides into the bottom rail of the awning, a longer one in the top. Then two hole drilled into the side upright of the rack.... Thats all... You can see the top bolt has a nut and a washer holding the bolt in the rail so it doesn't move when trying to mount the awning. Then there is another nut you can see, which is on the outside section of the upright, then another nut on the inside of the upright. Hope that makes sense.

beexy
16th February 2016, 03:32 PM
Thanks to the both of you. Makes sense mudski. Might give that a go. Three dogs is mounted on the passenger side.

threedogs
16th February 2016, 03:36 PM
The bolt you need is a 6mm stainless would be choice of steel
seeing its out in the elements all the time..Good luck

lucus30
16th February 2016, 03:47 PM
Mine is mounted on the same angle. I've never had a problem, though next time I'd do similar to mudski

mudski
16th February 2016, 05:27 PM
Mine is mounted on the same angle. I've never had a problem, though next time I'd do similar to mudski
My rear awning is not like my side one and it does point up. I keep meaning to correct it as i nearly broke it one day on and off camber slope of ground i decided to use it on

And yeah as TD said. Use stainless steel bolts.
Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

beexy
19th February 2016, 07:00 AM
Went with the mudski method and has quelled a treat. Thanks all for your input.