PDA

View Full Version : turbo upgrade on a rd28eti

irish stevo
15th February 2016, 09:10 AM
Gentlemen, could anyone tell me if the turbo from a zd30 patrol fit my rd28eti. It seems it easier for me to get a zd turbo but will it fit my manifold and is there any other issues with it fitting

mudski
15th February 2016, 11:24 AM
No the zd turbos are vacuun controlled via the ecu. The rd turbo is boost controlled not via ecu.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
15th February 2016, 02:08 PM
But that can be changed with the actuator.. there is a kit to change em over..
But as for flange type sorry I haven't dug that far yet onto mine so unsure what it is..

mudski
15th February 2016, 03:11 PM
But that can be changed with the actuator.. there is a kit to change em over..
But as for flange type sorry I haven't dug that far yet onto mine so unsure what it is..

The ZD turbos are variable vane type, the RD is wastegated. While the variable vane turbos are more efficient than the conventional waste gate turbo, because of their ability to bring boost on much earlier, I doubt it will fit. It would with someone with the right knowledge and ability, but not for the average person.
Having said that, I did see somewhere, someone twin turbo'ing a TD42 using the VNT turbo. Buggered if I can find it though.
I haven't really read anything on those actuators but if they convert the control from vacuum to boost, how does it control the spool up rate? If it can't then I would think its just a waste.

irish stevo
16th February 2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks anyway guys at least I can keep chasing down a newish turbo for my wagon

BigRAWesty
16th February 2016, 09:11 AM
The ZD turbos are variable vane type, the RD is wastegated. While the variable vane turbos are more efficient than the conventional waste gate turbo, because of their ability to bring boost on much earlier, I doubt it will fit. It would with someone with the right knowledge and ability, but not for the average person.
Having said that, I did see somewhere, someone twin turbo'ing a TD42 using the VNT turbo. Buggered if I can find it though.
I haven't really read anything on those actuators but if they convert the control from vacuum to boost, how does it control the spool up rate? If it can't then I would think its just a waste.
That bloke was going to use a supra setup but from memory had since canned the idea..

Not sure how they work but from pics I've seen the actuator simply runs off intake pressure.. as per a regular turbo.

I'd assume the boost actuator would work just like the vacume one but in reverse.