PDA

View Full Version : Bodged Nissan Manufacturing.

TuffTD42
14th February 2016, 12:44 PM
Anyone else experience Nissan crap welding on their GU? mines series 1 2000. The welding looks although I had a go at it. Although I think my welds look better! Also My passenger side engine mount has been welded approx 3-5mm to far forward on the chassis. The engine mount rubber looks as though it wants to be torn in half. I initially thought the mount had collapsed so I bought new Genuine Nissan mounts & replaced them. Well that was fun seeing as though Nissan can't position their mounts in the right position.

Think she is a Friday car!

Clunk
14th February 2016, 12:51 PM
are you sure it's Nissan manufacturing or could it have been done by previous owners? That's if you didn't buy it from new that is?

NissanGQ4.2
14th February 2016, 12:58 PM
That's what happen when you downgrade from an awesome GQ 2 a GU :)

Ben-e-boy
14th February 2016, 01:01 PM
Anyone else experience Nissan crap welding on their GU? mines series 1 2000. The welding looks although I had a go at it. Although I think my welds look better! Also My passenger side engine mount has been welded approx 3-5mm to far forward on the chassis. The engine mount rubber looks as though it wants to be torn in half. I initially thought the mount had collapsed so I bought new Genuine Nissan mounts & replaced them. Well that was fun seeing as though Nissan can't position their mounts in the right position.

Think she is a Friday car!

Years ago I made some spacers for my g/box crossmember. I used the passenger side of the chassis to make template and I used 10mm plate. So I tacked 2 pieces of 10mm plate together and stuck it in a milling machine to get the right shape and then drilled it as one 20mm plate. 13mm holes. The passenger side fitted perfectly as I expected. I had to slot 2 out of the 4 holes for it to fit the drivers side, I assumed they would be symetrical but mine arn't

threedogs
14th February 2016, 01:18 PM
You just need to look at the captive thread on the shipping tie down point
on the front.
For something thats welded by a robot on a jig its a long way off

TuffTD42
14th February 2016, 01:48 PM
Vehicle was one owner prior to me. No signs of accident it all looks like factory crap welding same as the rest of the vehicle. It had 55083 klm's on when I bought it last July now has 67xxx klm's. It's not a major issue, but just sloppy Nissan crap which annoys me. Was just curious if others ever had the same problem?

TuffTD42
14th February 2016, 01:51 PM
That's what happen when you downgrade from an awesome GQ 2 a GU :)

lol yea I agree. Miss the ol GQ!

TuffTD42
14th February 2016, 01:53 PM
You just need to look at the captive thread on the shipping tie down point
on the front.
For something thats welded by a robot on a jig its a long way off

I fitted boss rear coil tower supports when I bought it. had to elongate the holes on the pass side to get it to line up. Drivers side went straight in. thought it may have been the support, but thinking its the vehicle now.

threedogs
14th February 2016, 02:01 PM
I fitted boss rear coil tower supports when I bought it. had to elongate the holes on the pass side to get it to line up. Drivers side went straight in. thought it may have been the support, but thinking its the vehicle now.

Because I make front recovery points I thought that captive thread would be handy for the GU's with the 4.2 diesel motor
but it wasn't to be, went another route and more than happy with the result, "Hodge" is wearing the first set

BigRAWesty
14th February 2016, 10:58 PM
I think you'll find its in everything..
I see blokes complain about bull bars being 5-10 mm out..
Canopies not lignin up and windows off..

mudski
15th February 2016, 08:31 AM
I think you'll find its in everything..
I see blokes complain about bull bars being 5-10 mm out..
Canopies not lignin up and windows off..

Reminds me of the plastering days. We'd go in after the chippies were done and spend a day making all the walls straight before the plaster could be hung. Doing square set cornices was a biatch!

Kimbo63
15th February 2016, 10:54 AM
I guess robots just don't take any pride in their job lol shocking workmanship also where brackets ect are welded on some of the welds miss the target altogether and no cleaning the splatter just paint over I have spent lots of hours cleaning grinding and rewelding my chassi still got long way to go shouldn't have to do this imo