PDA

View Full Version : Buying a pressure washer

Winnie
13th February 2016, 04:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a high pressure washer (Karcher o Gerni seem to be the better brands) but not really sure what I need.
It will be used for washing cars and the patrol after trips (likely to be caked in mud).
Looking to spend around $400
Any advice?

threedogs
13th February 2016, 05:01 PM
I have a Karcher $125 one from Bunnings ,cant fault it , brought a 20mtr extension hose.
Its proved invaluable getting to hard to reach places like roof tiles etc.
Highly recommend still going strong 3 years later

Bloodyaussie
13th February 2016, 05:09 PM
My budget Karcher I have had for about 10 years and it keeps on chugging.. I think it cost me about $200 back then.

AB
13th February 2016, 05:09 PM
I have a Karcher $125 one from Bunnings ,cant fault it , brought a 20mtr extension hose. Its proved invaluable getting to hard to reach places like roof tiles etc. Highly recommend still going strong 3 years later I've probably got the same model as John Winnie but I recommend stepping up a level of the karcher brand. If the mud is baked on to the wheel arches, diffs and chassis etc they just don't cut the mustard. Either step up a level or bite the bullet and get a spitwater ;) Bloody Darren scoring that spitwater off my bro in law was criminal, spewing I didn't have enough funds at the time.

GeeYou8
13th February 2016, 05:12 PM
I have a Karcher 5xx series, not sure of actual model, it has the longer hose which is very handy.
This is my second one, the first one was a 3xx series and it lasted well (still have it in the shed), the second one was a Bunnings ex display without hose & lance (extra cheap on clearance) swapped over accessories and have had a very powerful machine for over 5 years. I have the patio cleaner which is the greatest thing ever for cleaning pavement (pool surrounds), sand blaster, foamer, rotary brush, angled nozzle (for under the guards) & 2 nozzles.
Has anyone used the underbody cleaner, the one on wheels?
Graham

Bacho86
13th February 2016, 05:13 PM
My dad got a Gernie 140.3 or similar a few years ago around the $500 mark I think.

Definitely worth while, it has so much power that I actually stripped off some of the factory stickers / decals off the body so it's great for the mud!!.

Also try and get some of the 90 degree attachments makes getting the mud out from under the sills and wheel arches so much easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
13th February 2016, 05:15 PM
Has anyone used the underbody cleaner, the one on wheels? Graham I was just about to ask the same question???

Hodge
13th February 2016, 06:08 PM
I have a karcher, about $120 from bunnings... Works awesome. Has the soap suction hose, which I dip into a bucket or bottle of ct18 and away we go.
Hasn't let me down yet.

Winnie
13th February 2016, 06:19 PM
Hmm, seems like I got sucked into the better models. Might drop my budget a bit.

The spit water might strip the paint AB!

matfew
13th February 2016, 06:46 PM
I picked up a petrol one off ebay recently.

11hp motor 4000psi ;) she's a beauty and will cut through a bit of 4x2 timber in about 30seconds haha.

Havent washed the patrol just yet but will prolly get to it tomorrow since it is actually mobile again now.

Covo71
13th February 2016, 06:59 PM
I have got a Gerni that Spurs out about 1800psi. Works very well and I also bought a 90 degree head for it I think was about $10.

Cuppa
13th February 2016, 07:02 PM
One thing to look for (which I didn’t when I bought my cheap Karcher a few years ago) are good swivel connections on the hose. Having to wrestle & untangle a rigid hose with a mind of it’s wn is a PIA.

AB
13th February 2016, 07:37 PM
One thing to look for (which I didn’t when I bought my cheap Karcher a few years ago) are good swivel connections on the hose. Having to wrestle & untangle a rigid hose with a mind of it’s wn is a PIA. Yes, good call Cuppa!

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2016, 07:48 PM
I have a Spitwater! It's awesome :p

If I was buying again from the karcher or gerni range I would chose one with the hose on the reel. Winner. The gerni does the 90degree attachment which I have and was awesome when I had the gerni. Made under bode cleaning much easier. 10seconds to fit.

Check eBay. You will get a good deal:

You can go BIG . But you really want something with a power head and a long hose. Something that you can add a hose extension to would be a winner too mate.

I reckon with a $400 budget you will find a good one.

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2016, 07:50 PM
Repco has 20% off for RACV members this month.

4bye4
13th February 2016, 08:36 PM
I actually work in the cleaning supply and repair industry, albeit commercial equipment not Te hobby/DIY side of things. As mentioned by MudRunner, the Spitwater is a good locally assembled machine. The Gernie / Karcher etc available from Bunnings are reasonable machines but are "name" brands and are often manufactured by the same Chinese factory and just badged to a name. The original Karcer brand is long gone as is the Gernie, Kew and many others. Australian made (read assembled) machines are Aussie pumps, Spitwater and BAR and all would be available from small motor/power equipment shops. Prices from about $200 to $2000. The differences between low price and high price basically are the bottom range are manufactured from plastic parts and are usually not repairable, whereas the expensive end of the market have stainless steel or ceramic pistons and brass heads and manifolds. Like everything else buy the best you can afford, given the amount of use you expect from it. The pressure and flow rates which are often touted by salespeople are not much to buy on as most are standard Nat about 1000 -1200n psi at 7-10 l/min up to 3000psi at 15 to21 l/min. Be aware that if a brand advertises say 4500psi and has the same power motor as a 3000 psi machine, it will have a lower flow rate and the "cleaning power" will be the same. An often quoted "EWP" or effective working pressure, is basically bs and means nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Covo71
13th February 2016, 08:38 PM
Repco has 20% off for RACV members this month.

I bought one from repco and didn't really use it too much but just over 18 months just went to poo. Would not be endorsing them.

Stropp
13th February 2016, 08:47 PM
I have had a stihl for about 8 yrs, bloody good has hose reel and the Flexi coupling, winner.

jack
13th February 2016, 09:28 PM
Don't buy one of those from Supercrap even when they are on special, got one for $299 (was $599). Absolute crap and my 10 year old $200 Karcher was better. Got a full refund as returned within seven days.

lucus30
13th February 2016, 10:32 PM
I was just about to ask the same question???
Yeah I've got one and don't mind it. Pretty good probably does a better job than chucking the sprinkler underneath. Got it price matched at bunnings one time and paid about $90

Also no matter what pressure washer you get make sure you buy a snow foam lance for it they are amazing

Stropp
14th February 2016, 01:53 AM
Also no matter what pressure washer you get make sure you buy a snow foam lance for it they are amazing

I have my own snow foam lance thanks ☺️

Hodge
14th February 2016, 07:54 AM
I'll have to have a look at this snow foam thingie...
You just put the soap / degreaser whatever in it and off we go ?

lucus30
14th February 2016, 09:13 AM
I'll have to have a look at this snow foam thingie...
You just put the soap / degreaser whatever in it and off we go ?
Pretty much

GeeYou8
14th February 2016, 09:26 AM
When I bought my first Karcher I looked at the models & went for the cheapest one with an induction motor (not a brushed motor) @ a metal pump.
I have been told the ones that suck detergent through the pump can fail prematurely if using anything other than Karcher detergent, the foam lance is on the output end so nothing goes through the pump.
Graham

Chimo
14th February 2016, 10:03 AM
I have a 5 series Karcher and have had it for about 7 yrs so far.

Got it from Bunnings and was going to get a cheaper one but was advised
a. get the bigger 5 series (on special)
b. better to go for a metal pump and
c. zip tie the trigger on and leave it that way for ever. Turn the machine on and off with the electric switch and avoid the risk of water hammer stuffing the pump etc .

So far so good, zip tie is still in place.

I suspect either Karcher or Gerni or other name brands in the mid to upper range of machines will all do the job however I would suggest you consider the zip tie advice.
A few of my friends were onto their 2nd and third machines when I mentioned, after I heard about their dead washers, about the zip tie thing.

Don't get too enthusiastic around the paint work or you can watch it fly too IMHO

Cheers
Chimo

lucus30
14th February 2016, 10:47 AM
When I bought my first Karcher I looked at the models & went for the cheapest one with an induction motor (not a brushed motor) @ a metal pump.
I have been told the ones that suck detergent through the pump can fail prematurely if using anything other than Karcher detergent, the foam lance is on the output end so nothing goes through the pump.
Graham
The snow foam gun is an attachment it doesn't suck it through the pump

Winnie
14th February 2016, 09:16 PM
This what you're talking about Lucus?
http://www.bunnings.com.au/karcher-0-6l-foam-jet-nozzle-fj6_p6270647

lucus30
14th February 2016, 10:56 PM
This what you're talking about Lucus?
http://www.bunnings.com.au/karcher-0-6l-foam-jet-nozzle-fj6_p6270647
Nope they are crap.... Same sorta idea but no where near as good

This is https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/autobrite/ab_snow_foam_lance

These were the originals but I've seen plenty of knock offs these days perhaps they might be cheaper

Here is a video of it
https://youtu.be/2fgKDpAhWfA

Clunk
14th February 2016, 11:21 PM

These were the originals but I've seen plenty of knock offs these days perhaps they might be cheaper

Here is a video of it
Holy crap, that costs almost as much as what I paid for me power washer 10 years ago lol

Winnie
15th February 2016, 07:57 AM

Here is a video of it
Yeah wow. Looks awesome but I'll give it a miss lol... I might grab the karcher brand one though so it doesn't draw soap through the pump.

lucus30
15th February 2016, 07:58 AM
Yeah wow. Looks awesome but I'll give it a miss lol... I might grab the karcher brand one though so it doesn't draw soap through the pump.
Wouldn't waste your money. I think I've got one lying around you can have it if I can find it

GeeYou8
15th February 2016, 08:03 AM
c. zip tie the trigger on and leave it that way for ever. Turn the machine on and off with the electric switch and avoid the risk of water hammer stuffing the pump etc .
A few of my friends were onto their 2nd and third machines when I mentioned, after I heard about their dead washers, about the zip tie thing.

Don't get too enthusiastic around the paint work or you can watch it fly too IMHO

Cheers
Chimo
I had to replace the over pressure valve on my 3 series, so I might have to try the locked on method.
Also watch out for intercoolers, radiators & AC condensers, you can fold the fins over in the blink of an eye.
Graham

Kimbo63
15th February 2016, 11:37 AM
There is one here on fleabay not sure it's as good as the one the Autobrite one thoug
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hug-Flight-Pressure-Washer-Karcher-K-Series-Compatible-Snow-Foam-Lance-Bottle-/361481048417?hash=item5429f31161:g:Ql8AAOSwKtlWrtn t

lucus30
15th February 2016, 12:44 PM
There is one here on fleabay not sure it's as good as the one the Autobrite one thoug
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hug-Flight-Pressure-Washer-Karcher-K-Series-Compatible-Snow-Foam-Lance-Bottle-/361481048417?hash=item5429f31161:g:Ql8AAOSwKtlWrtn t

Thanks Kimbo63. Looks great this is what i was I meant by knock offs and for that price I'd give it a shot

threedogs
15th February 2016, 02:20 PM
Cable tying the trigger makes a lot of sense as they shut off with a huge shunt.
It has to be taking its toll somewhere thats for sure ,so cable tie here as well

Chimo
15th February 2016, 04:57 PM
I have a feeling that even if you use the non-Karcher soap, by flushing the pump with just water with the soap suction line in fresh water too there wouldn't be too much soap left in the pump to worry it.

Any of you flush your rigs? (pressure washers that is)

Chimo

jay see
16th February 2016, 10:59 AM
I've had two over the years. One was a GMC (I think)and it lasted 6-7 years until something on the inside cracked, cant remember what.
The other was a K Mart special. Was a week or so after the GMC one crapped itself, had $50 left on a voucher, so it costed me $9 for it.
It also lasted about the same time, but it had a harder time. Both were used for general cleaning around the house and washing cars including mud off the 4wd.
The K Mart one i used to pressure clean a deck of about 10x6 twice. Took about 8 hours each time, It didn't make it the second time.

I think if used for general cleaning most of the branded names would be fine. The two that i had were about 1300 psi and I find that to be enough.

The next one will need to have a wider spay so I can do one board with one sweep.

How do those patio cleaners go?

Winnie
16th February 2016, 11:53 AM
I ended up buying the Karcher K3, super cheap had a 25% off sale so seemed to be a bargain at $220.
Washed all the cars with it yesterday and tried it out on some concrete, does an awesome job. The dirt blaster attachment is insane!!!
I'll try out that cheaper snow foam attachment from the eBay link above too.

pjhsv
16th February 2016, 12:30 PM
I have a Karcher I got from Bunnings for ~$100, and it's worked great for my needs.

Having said that, I tend to go through the car washes after big trips to get rid of most of the mud. Our local one is full of 4x4's every Saturday and Sunday night :)

GeeYou8
18th February 2016, 08:43 AM
The next one will need to have a wider spay so I can do one board with one sweep.

How do those patio cleaners go?
The patio cleaners are great, I have about 60 square metres of pebblecrete around the pool, comes up a treat in around 2 to 3 hours, the skirt also stops crap being blown onto everything nearby.
Graham

threedogs
18th February 2016, 04:56 PM
I ended up buying the Karcher K3, super cheap had a 25% off sale so seemed to be a bargain at $220.
Washed all the cars with it yesterday and tried it out on some concrete, does an awesome job. The dirt blaster attachment is insane!!!
I'll try out that cheaper snow foam attachment from the eBay link above too.

Will you be buying a longer hose, or not required ????

MudRunnerTD
18th February 2016, 06:02 PM
I have a 5 series Karcher and have had it for about 7 yrs so far.

Got it from Bunnings and was going to get a cheaper one but was advised
a. get the bigger 5 series (on special)
b. better to go for a metal pump and

So far so good, zip tie is still in place.

I suspect either Karcher or Gerni or other name brands in the mid to upper range of machines will all do the job however I would suggest you consider the zip tie advice.

Cheers
Chimo

Interesting. My Spitwater unit is awesome and bloody heavy! I carry it around in a trolley it's so heavy. For a little unit you'd reckon it's guts was made of lead!!

What interesting is that on the top of it next to the On/Off switch is a sticker that says "Pull the trigger before turning the pump on". So I turn on the tap, pull the trigger and then the pump. Once running I can pull the trigger on and off no dramas. Just doesn't like having a closed tap when the pump starts.

4bye4
18th February 2016, 06:17 PM
Interesting. My Spitwater unit is awesome and bloody heavy! I carry it around in a trolley it's so heavy. For a little unit you'd reckon it's guts was made of lead!!

What interesting is that on the top of it next to the On/Off switch is a sticker that says "Pull the trigger before turning the pump on". So I turn on the tap, pull the trigger and then the pump. Once running I can pull the trigger on and off no dramas. Just doesn't like having a closed tap when the pump starts.

The Spitwater has a pressure bypass valve which is not operated in the off position. When you start the machine it will come straight uop to pressure and if you don't have the trigger pulled it will draw 5 to 10 times the normal run current untill it goes into bypass and releases the pressure. Can sometimes blow a fuse or breaker on startup if you don't pull the trigger.
The reason yours is heavy is because Spitwater units are made of brass and stainless internally. Good machines.

MudRunnerTD
18th February 2016, 07:26 PM
The Spitwater has a pressure bypass valve which is not operated in the off position. When you start the machine it will come straight uop to pressure and if you don't have the trigger pulled it will draw 5 to 10 times the normal run current untill it goes into bypass and releases the pressure. Can sometimes blow a fuse or breaker on startup if you don't pull the trigger.
The reason yours is heavy is because Spitwater units are made of brass and stainless internally. Good machines.

Yeah we are telling AB they are junk cause he could have bought it but listed it instead and I jumped on it in the first 5 minutes. He was Sad when he had a look at it! :p

Winnie
18th February 2016, 11:02 PM
Will you be buying a longer hose, or not required ????
Not required, it came with 8m of hose.

Winnie
20th February 2016, 12:33 PM
One quick question Lucas... Do you need special foaming detergent to put in the sprayer bottle? Or will regular car soap do?

lucus30
20th February 2016, 10:06 PM
Nay mate... Regular like meguiars soft wash works well or if you don't give a shit about stripping wax use ct18 on the patrol like I do ha ha