PDA

View Full Version : Fox vs King 2.0: remote res shock comparison

Bacho86
12th February 2016, 07:04 PM
Just saw this comparison online and thought it may interest some... Not sure if anyone is running either of these systems and can add further experience?

I recall maybe MR was running kings and upgraded to armada or something?

Also has anyone had any experience with the new OME remote res BP51's? They look a treat but I imagine would be very $$

https://www.accutuneoffroad.com/articles/fox-vs-king-2-0-coilover-shock-comparison/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
12th February 2016, 07:18 PM
No I'd love King Smoothies but the Amadas will be fine. I haven't read the article but the Kings are King.

I have a good mate that runs in Cliffhanger on Kings. Loves them. He has just fitted the new OME remotes into his Ranger and rates them highly. Big coin but he liked their adjustability better than the Kings. Cost him more than $1k a corner which is on par with the Kings.

BigRAWesty
12th February 2016, 07:26 PM
No I'd love King Smoothies but the Amadas will be fine. I haven't read the article but the Kings are King.

I have a good mate that runs in Cliffhanger on Kings. Loves them. He has just fitted the new OME remotes into his Ranger and rates them highly. Big coin but he liked their adjustability better than the Kings. Cost him more than $1k a corner which is on par with the Kings.
Blokes are getting quoted $3700 for a set for Kings..
Are they worth $1000 a corner.. Doubt it..
Maybe best on the market but there seems to be some very close followers.
I'll be following

mudski
12th February 2016, 07:29 PM

4k for shock$! Are you for real? I know i aint the best with spending but feck! Thats just stupid.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Winnie
12th February 2016, 07:57 PM
4k for shock$! Are you for real? I know i aint the best with spending but feck! Thats just stupid.

I reckon once you go for a ride in the car you'd consider it money well spent.
I am pretty sure liftlid runs kings? I have driven behind him through the high country with him getting 2 feet of air off each and every woopdie doo every hundred meters... He reckons it was like driving on the highway.

nissannewby
12th February 2016, 08:15 PM
Yeah good shocks make the world of difference but 4k is getting up there. Considering if you think about about it they are just a shiny alloy tube with a piston connected to a rod and some shims.

I could make the same thing at work for probably sub 500 and just buy a shim kit from kings for tuning.

Ben-e-boy
12th February 2016, 08:39 PM
Blokes are getting quoted $3700 for a set for Kings..
Are they worth $1000 a corner.. Doubt it..
Maybe best on the market but there seems to be some very close followers.
I'll be following

The price of kings of late is due to the dollar. When I bought mine they were nearly half price.

Edit. You'll find that the 2.0's will be cheaper then 2.5's. Which I believe the quoted price mentioned is for

mudski
12th February 2016, 09:19 PM
I reckon once you go for a ride in the car you'd consider it money well spent.
I am pretty sure liftlid runs kings? I have driven behind him through the high country with him getting 2 feet of air off each and every woopdie doo every hundred meters... He reckons it was like driving on the highway.
Yeah nup. They may be top notch but 4k could be be spent elswhere i reckon. I could almost justify 2k on shocks, almost. Id have to had done absolutely everything on my car before i would spend that kind of money on shocks. But hey, i spent stupid coin on a motor so who am i to say? Lol. But i love it...

Bacho86
12th February 2016, 10:38 PM
The price of kings of late is due to the dollar. When I bought mine they were nearly half price.

Edit. You'll find that the 2.0's will be cheaper then 2.5's. Which I believe the quoted price mentioned is for

I though the 2.0's were around $400 each.... Or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
12th February 2016, 11:16 PM

Yea I realized the currency change.. only picked the 2-2.5 difference once I've re read it.
But apart from the y62 does that coil over comparison have any reliance to us? Or do the use the same build for coil overs as they do standard shocks?

MudRunnerTD
12th February 2016, 11:29 PM
Yeah sorry the Kings 2.5 Smooties are the bomb. Remote res. As mentioned by others it's one of those things, it's not until you have been in a car running smoothies that the stark difference is apparent. Kings are King for a reason. Is a whole new level. They simply can't be compared to really anything on the market that we'd talk about in general chat anyway.

These are state of the art Extreme Competition Hardware. You won't find many guys on anything but Kings doing things like The Finke, Outback Challenge, Cliffhanger.

You guys are talking about building your car from the top down, guys spending $4k on Kings are building from the bottom Up.

LiftLid runs ICON shocks which are at a similar level to Kings Smooties.

The OME Remotes on the Ranger are a Coil Over Shock so he bought more than just a shock. To him it was the first thing on the list of mods for his Brand new Ranger. An Investment in his Keeper. No brainer for him.

My GUIV has 160,000 on its OME. When they die..... I'd seriously look at Kings for sure. It's a keeper, the shocks dictate the ride! Makes sense to me.

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2016, 02:12 PM
Interesting, i just read that article on the computer. The article was a write up on the Fox v Kings Coil Over Shock. Race car end of the scale. They rate the Fox over the King in nearly every test on a strip down basis. Note also the price on the Kings was $409 and the Fox was $395. This is US$ in the USA. note this is unsprung also.

The specs on these shocks in the test are the pointy end of the business.

FNQGU
18th February 2017, 08:40 AM
Kings will also renew the warranty every three years for another three years, if you get them serviced. They are down at $3200 a set till end of Feb too.

The 2.5 smoothies are built to handle 9t loads and are easily adjusted but are pre-tuned to your vehicle heights and weights based on info you provide them when you place an order.

Once I got my Koni 88's tuned to the vehicle properly I thought they were an awesome bit of kit, and well worth investing in shocks and suspension and I had all intentions of staying with Koni as a result. Recently I was introduced to the Kings Australia engineer during some business discussions and it opened my eyes a bit.

Compared to $2K for Koni 90 Raid's I am not sure I could justify the price difference but I'd love to have a drive in a vehicle to find out.

threedogs
18th February 2017, 02:16 PM
Ive been for a test drive in a 4.2 GU with some All terrain smoothies fitted,
they say they are Amada copies or close to it. I have mine as soft as they can get it
but these smoothies are awesome it was like being in a stadium truck
soaked up all the harsh bumps and smoothed them out, big yank tank style lol
It would be on my to do list but not a high priority