PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Windscreen cost?

Cuppa
11th February 2016, 06:49 PM
Anyone know what a GU windscreen (fitted) costs?

Bigcol
11th February 2016, 08:20 PM
had mine replaced last year

but cannot tell you the cost
as its free with insurance

sorry mate

Cuppa
11th February 2016, 09:12 PM
Ta. Yeah, Just trying to determine if it’s worth paying an additional premium of $69 per year which covers 1 free windscreen replacement.

Anyone .... someone must’ve paid for a replacement.

mudski
11th February 2016, 09:24 PM
Ta. Yeah, Just trying to determine if it’s worth paying an additional premium of $69 per year which covers 1 free windscreen replacement.

Anyone .... someone must’ve paid for a replacement.
If your insurance is with Club 4x4, from my understanding you cant just ring them every year and ask for a new windscreen, regardless of condition. I may be wrong that was my take on it when i spoke with them on the phone.
Do they replace the windscreen rubbers when the windscreen is replaced too?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
11th February 2016, 09:28 PM
Sorry Cuppa can't help you on a patrol price, but got my windscreen replaced the other day on the crappadoor and that was $275, using the old seal, also got a price on my partners car and that was $275 as well.

Just ring a local windscreen mob, the will give you a price

Clunk
11th February 2016, 11:30 PM
mines free........ through insurance and no excess required

my third 256
12th February 2016, 07:17 AM
mine was $200 and came to my house to fit / new rubbers and tinted at top

Cuppa
12th February 2016, 09:40 AM
Hmmmm, I was thinking that with our intended travel we will be driving a lot more on outback gravel roads & single lane bitumen roads which road trains use, & that the chances of getting a broken windscreen are probably higher, but at the prices you blokes are talking about, I think I agree with Plasnart that paying extra on the insurance probably isn’t worth it in the long run.

Thanks all.

the evil twin
12th February 2016, 01:52 PM
mines free........ through insurance and no excess required

Nope... nothing is free when it comes to Insurance.
All you did was pay for it (or at least part of it) in your insurance premium instead of as an optional glass cover.

Now, if (like me) you make sure you get a new 'screen every few years you can say "Thanks for helping me pay for my new glass, boys" hehehehe...

threedogs
12th February 2016, 03:09 PM
Mine started off @ $130 and because I was stuffed around ended up @ $30.
That was about 3 yrs ago now through National windscreens, but I dont
recommend them in any shape or form

GeeYou8
13th February 2016, 09:02 AM
Had to pay for one on a hire GU7 in Kalgoorlie a couple of years ago, $700, we got a chip but it already had 3 when we picked it up.
Panel beaters quotes $275 for the Getz yesterday.
I had 3x screens in 35 years, the last one 2 weeks after getting a new car, then chipped it 2 weeks later on the same stretch of road.
I was looking at the glass cover too, might opt out because insurance won't replace scratched or lots of tiny chips.
Graham

Winnie
13th February 2016, 09:19 AM
Had to pay for one on a hire GU7 in Kalgoorlie a couple of years ago, $700, we got a chip but it already had 3 when we picked it up.
Panel beaters quotes $275 for the Getz yesterday.
I had 3x screens in 35 years, the last one 2 weeks after getting a new car, then chipped it 2 weeks later on the same stretch of road.
I was looking at the glass cover too, might opt out because insurance won't replace scratched or lots of tiny chips.
Graham

You don't own a hammer?

missingdna
13th February 2016, 10:06 AM
when getting a quote make sure you are getting the whole package price...they may advise a price on glass install alone then warn of possible molding if needed.
A gu factory mould is a 2 part piece. The retainer, which is stuck to the body of the car and the push in mould that presses into the retainer after the glass is glued in place. This system looks good when new but shit when reused which is why a new moulding is usually quoted. This new moulding is fitted a different way but looks as good as factory.

When the screen is changed the cowling and lower mould will need to be removed. if the fitter tries to cut the screen out without doing this stop them.
Make sure they do not butcher the opening when cutting the old glass out...... hacking away with knives scratches the shit out of the apperture and if not treated, will lead to rust.

a gu screen done properly, with no unexpected surprises will take 40 odd minutes to install.

insurance windscreen coverage: if you are going regional or further then its a good idea.... a basic screen will cost you 500 plus in the Pilbara and im sure other remote areas are the same price wise. I can budget 50-60 dollars a year for the insurance but pretty sure an unexpected 2-3 hundred dollar or more bill when travelling, or anytime really will catch me without the free cash to fork out at that time.

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2016, 12:31 PM
Note also that Glass Cover is more than Windscreen Cover. I smashed my windscreen from an oncoming vehicle on the Meetup in the Middle. Was a zero cost replacement when I got home. I could have had it replaced at birdsville or Alice if needed though.

The kicker for this cover though is..... It's glass cover! Ever got a price for the Rear Window of a GU smashed from a rock off your Camper!!! Sit Down when you call for a quote!

Worth every cent.

A hammer is your friend

MudRunnerTD
13th February 2016, 12:37 PM
Hmmmm, I was thinking that with our intended travel we will be driving a lot more on outback gravel roads & single lane bitumen roads which road trains use, & that the chances of getting a broken windscreen are probably higher, but at the prices you blokes are talking about, I think I agree with Plasnart that paying extra on the insurance probably isn’t worth it in the long run.

Thanks all.

Crazy talk!

If you are going to drive around town for the next 10 years then fine, for Outback Travel your off you head mate! Will you be venturing out Touring without RACV Cover? For the same reason.

I smashed a screen on the Madigan Trip and again on the Meetup in the middle. My wife has had a Cracked Screen (this is far more common than a smashed screen) in her Volvo and was $900!!

No brainer I reckon for outback touring.

BigRAWesty
13th February 2016, 12:53 PM
Raa have a free front window replacement.. no excess..
1 a year but they will replace more than one within a year for $100...
That's worth it in my opinion.
But cuppa if you gotta pay $70 a year then it's sorta not worth it..

the evil twin
13th February 2016, 12:55 PM
I carry glass cover as a no brainer IMHO but...

If I was making the decision on Glass cover/No glass cover I would;
Remember that many policies are only 1 free claim per year
Get a quote for a rear window & demister as well as a front screen
Call up say Oodnadatta or Birdsville or Broome and ask for a quote
Some people find it much more comfortable to pay more over time rather than one great wack at once.

Purely based on the price for a front screen in a cap city or major regional town does not a wise decision make...

Clunk
13th February 2016, 03:38 PM
yep, the extra glass cover really adds sod all to a monthly payment in the grand scheme of things........ would rather pay a few bucks extra a month than get hit with a large bill

Winnie
13th February 2016, 04:39 PM
yep, the extra glass cover really adds sod all to a monthly payment in the grand scheme of things........ would rather pay a few bucks extra a month than get hit with a large bill
Me too. I have got my moneys worth out of it too.
Amy's car got hit by a rock a couple of weeks ago and cracked the windscreen. Her car has automatic windscreen wipers which has a different glass to the car without it, just the glass for her car was about 800 bucks apparently.

Cuppa
13th February 2016, 04:49 PM
if you are going regional or further then its a good idea.... a basic screen will cost you 500 plus in the Pilbara and im sure other remote areas are the same price wise.

Crazy talk!

If you are going to drive around town for the next 10 years then fine, for Outback Travel your off you head mate!
No brainer I reckon for outback touring.

Call up say Oodnadatta or Birdsville or Broome and ask for a quote

Purely based on the price for a front screen in a cap city or major regional town does not a wise decision make...

Yep, OK, point made & taken. It’s what I thought to start with, but then I got sucked in by the city prices quoted. Like MR says, it’s really a no brainer.

Anyone who wants to try to change my mind again ............ you’re wasting your time! :)

Thanks folks
Although it’s looking unlikely that we’ll get away before early next year now, I reckon renewing with Club 4x4 is going to save me dollars, so I’ll include windscreen cover from the outset, & add the extra off road recovery option at the following renewal.

Clunk
13th February 2016, 04:58 PM
Yep, OK, point made & taken. It’s what I thought to start with, but then I got sucked in by the city prices quoted. Like MR says, it’s really a no brainer.

Anyone who wants to try to change my mind again ............ you’re wasting your time! :)

Thanks folks
Although it’s looking unlikely that we’ll get away before early next year now, I reckon renewing with Club 4x4 is going to save me dollars, so I’ll include windscreen cover from the outset, & add the extra off road recovery option at the following renewal.
Make sure your rear windows are covered too

Bacho86
13th February 2016, 06:38 PM
Me too. I have got my moneys worth out of it too.
Amy's car got hit by a rock a couple of weeks ago and cracked the windscreen. Her car has automatic windscreen wipers which has a different glass to the car without it, just the glass for her car was about 800 bucks apparently.

This the Avalon? That's pretty fancy for a yota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie
13th February 2016, 07:34 PM
This the Avalon? That's pretty fancy for a yota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurion, yeah lol. Very swish car mate, it's got all the bells and whistles.

Wizard52
14th February 2016, 08:49 AM
Hi Cuppa

Local independent (actually a sponsor of our fishing club) cost $190 BUT he said pay the extra premium for the insurance because all the replacement windscreens are cheap Chinese crap and will not withstand a knock like originals. So if in remote areas the extra premium could be worth it.

missingdna
14th February 2016, 12:24 PM
insurance companies do not cover replacement of glass with factory original if aftermarket glass is available for that car.
no windscreen company has factory original glass for vehicles as shelf stock.
The quality of aftermarket screens has improved dramatically in the last 10 years. Most is as good as factory in quality and finish.
Best the owner be there for the install.... check the new glass for quality before the old is removed and more importantly, make sure the installer doesnt butcher the car or take shortcuts installing.

mudnut
14th February 2016, 06:56 PM
A lot of vehicle manufacturers list windscreens as structural components, don't they? I know for sure that the windscreen in my Patrol is a cheapy, as the corners radius is too big and leaked. Does anyone know if Nissan list the GQ or GU windscreens as a structural item?

missingdna
14th February 2016, 07:49 PM
the gq is fitted in a rubber gasket. As such it is not a structural part of the car.
Gu patrols are bonded to the body of the car with a polyurethan or co-polymer adhesive. As such it may assist with upper body rigidity.... but unlikely as patrols are engineered tough.
More modern cars can/do rely on the screen for upper body strength, as designs move towards a unified structural strength rather than a chassis with body bolted on.
Also, screens are bonded in with cars that have airbags as in an accident, the airbags require the screen to hold the bags in correct position for passenger safety, and the bags also support the roof in event of rollover.

onemadgq
15th February 2016, 06:11 PM
Down here in tassie its around $266 including and new rubber (thats remove and replace)
you would think it should be cheaper in vic