PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Routerat

routerat
10th February 2016, 10:55 PM
Hello everyone I joined this forum yesterday. I live in Sydney (near Redfern) I've had a fair few jobs - driving cabs, trucks and even been a bicycle courier.

I already have a question.

I'm looking to buy my first Nissan Patrol and I thought I'd start with something pretty basic until I get the feel for it.

I live in Sydney near the city and I love getting out into the wilderness. In fact for the last five years I've been taking camper-vans into National Parks and State forests.

This has been OK but now I want to get a bit further into the bush.

At this stage I'm looking at a GU II ST Wagon 7st 5dr Man 5sp 4x4 3.0DT (2001 model). It has 200 000 kilometers on the clock and air-conditioning but not much else. I don't want to push it past National Parks at this stage and I'm wondering if anyone might be able to suggest what I should be looking out for when I go and look at it. It's way out in the dry n dusty western NSW back blocks.

Obviously tyres and damage to the underside of the car. Any other suggestions ?

happygu
10th February 2016, 11:44 PM
Welcome mate,

I don't like to cause panic or unnecessary alarm, but I would be wary....

I have never had a problem with any of mine, but the 3 Litre Diesel in the 2000-2001 models doesn't have a good rap for reliability. Check for any engine works / repairs / upgrades. If the motor is original, then chances are it may be a good one, as it has lasted this long.

If it has been repaired and the block has been replaced with the later model blocks, then the truck is probably OK.

If you pick it up cheap enough, and have a spare 10K to replace the motor if needed, then go ahead.

I traded in my 2001 model for a 2003 model as I couldn't get a straight answer from Nissan regarding my motor, and if it was the update version or the original. It had 77K at trade-in, and I saw it driving around six months later on, but couldn't catch the new owner to chat.
Having said all that, I know someone else that had a 2000 model, and flogged it day in and day out, traded it in at 320K, and didn't even think about the engine issue.

The 2003 model was slightly better, but still had the possibility of engine issues, but I wasn't too worried about mine and it was all original at over 300K last time I spoke to the new owner.

The later the better, with the 3 Litres, and preferably something that hasn't been operated on....

routerat
11th February 2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks very much Happygu.

I appreciate the advice. I'll go through the history of the vehicle's engine with the owner and see if he will shed any light on it. He tells me he bought the Patrol with 140 000 kilometers on the clock and has put on another 60 -70 thousand. I'm a bit worried the steering/suspension might not be traveling too well if it has been running on dirt roads. Any suggestions as to how I might be able to check on it's condition if I do end up buying ?

Likewise I'm a bit concerned the turbo and/or electrics might be damaged by too much dust.

threedogs
11th February 2016, 09:38 AM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum ,,, enjoy

happygu
11th February 2016, 09:47 AM
Patrols are pretty hardy ..... one of my early Patrols spent over 12 years with me and over three years of these driving all over the outback living out of Alice Springs, and I never had to change a thing - mine had King Springs and Koni Shocks, and I actually took the Koni's off and put them on my next Patrol. Still drove and looked like new when I sold it

With your upcoming planned purchase, if it still has the Nissan Stock Springs then it would most likely be sagged a little and ride a little harsher than new, but don't worry too much, as aftermarket springs and shocks are cheap and ride much nicer.

Bushes are fairly cheap to replace, so don't worry too much about those, but if it drives nice and tight, with not too many creaks and vibrations, it should be pretty good. Checking is just like any other vehicle - lift it up in the air, and check joints with a pry bar for excessive movement. If you do jack it up to check stuff, then the front wheels shouldn't have any up/down or side movement, but will have some up and down movement if you really tug it hard.

Does the owner have a full Service History, as if he has, then most of it should be in good condition, as good mechanics will highlight that sort of stuff. Ask him to actually show you the last couple of Service Reports, as any upcoming major issues will usually be flagged up on the reports for future services.

I would look at the overall condition of the vehicle, and if the interior is kept nice, then it is generally a good omen that it has been looked after and could be a good buy. It will be a little harder to keep clean, being a bush car, but if it has heaps of rubbish inside, or stains all over the carpets, then it might mean that the servicing or care of the vehicle might be poor.

routerat
11th February 2016, 05:52 PM
Thanks very much that's great and I appreciate it.

Dhuck
11th February 2016, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

richscott
12th February 2016, 11:12 AM
welcome aboard mate. good luck with the purchase....

4bye4
12th February 2016, 01:00 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.

Kimbo63
14th February 2016, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

pjhsv
16th February 2016, 02:17 PM
I just bought a 2000 GUII - maybe we can get a 2-for-1 deal on 6.7 litre chev diesel engines when ours inevitably explode? :)

I figured the extra cost of buying a 4.2 would have paid for a new engine for this old girl, so even if I have to replace it at some point, it's not the end of the world.

Good luck!

MEGOMONSTER
17th February 2016, 05:08 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net.
If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.