PDA

View Full Version : Oily mist

Daveyboyjunior
10th February 2016, 06:24 PM
Hi there,
After cleaning the throttle body and fitting new NGK metal glow plugs on my 04 ZD30, I've noticed feint oil deposits and a fine oily mist coming from somewhere under the throttle body at the back of the rocker cover.
Does this sound as though a that particular glow plug seal may have gone?
Davey

mudski
10th February 2016, 07:03 PM
Intercooler has sprung a leak mate.... remove it and check for oil deposits on the underside of the cooler.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

threedogs
11th February 2016, 10:10 AM
An 04 IC would be leaking by now, its just something they all do.
You'll need to factor in about $400 for a fully tigged aftermarket
intercooler, try and buy one with cast alloy end tanks, IMO
they are better quality than fabricated tanks,

Daveyboyjunior
11th February 2016, 07:07 PM
After I cleaned out my throttle body and generally serviced her, boost pressure is nicely up, so I guess this was inevitable.

We have some nice aftermarket IC upgrades for decent prices over here.
Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Kimbo63
11th February 2016, 07:31 PM
An 04 IC would be leaking by now, its just something they all do.
You'll need to factor in about $400 for a fully tigged aftermarket
intercooler, try and buy one with cast alloy end tanks, IMO
they are better quality than fabricated tanks,
TD you will find that cast tanks are more prone to heat soak as aposed to fabricated tanks
Cheers Kimbo

Daveyboyjunior
12th February 2016, 04:36 AM
Kimbo, what does this mean?
They get hotter, or condensate maybe?

GeeYou8
12th February 2016, 08:11 AM
More mass in the cast ones means they hold more heat, when you are stopped at the lights the scoop becomes a chimney heating up the intercooler.
When you take off it takes longer to cool down.
Graham

Daveyboyjunior
12th February 2016, 08:24 AM
Currently looking at something like this as a replacement, but I guess the next thing is brackets etc. to hold everything in place?

Covo71
12th February 2016, 08:41 AM
Not sure if this going to help you or not but here are some pics of my intercooler that they use the end caps and tag weld new centre in. Then you don't have to worry about fabricating something to refit. Bolts straight in. The website over here that did it was http://www.supercarperformance.com.au/product/14/intercoolers so you can have a look at what it is like inside. I would be guessing but surely there are radiator places over there that would do this sort of thing. Pretty cost effective. ATTACH=CONFIG]64793[/ATTACH]6479464795

Daveyboyjunior
12th February 2016, 06:21 PM
Thanks Covo, I've seen their Monster IC which is impressive to.
I'll shop around over here, hopefully finding a fabricator. Cheers!

mudski
12th February 2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks Covo, I've seen their Monster IC which is impressive to.
I'll shop around over here, hopefully finding a fabricator. Cheers!
I just noticed your from the UK. you should be able to take you current intercooler somewhere and they can simply weld in a new core. Crap loads of places here can.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Daveyboyjunior
16th March 2016, 05:16 PM
Thanks Mudski, I've been shopping around and and the only guys over here that's get involved with this sort of work are the race car lot. Found a guy that will make one to fit for £450 sterling. I don't know what the current conversion is from £ to Au dollars.
What about the plug in sensor on the existing intercooler, would that just be left off?
Price doesn't seem too bad.
Tell me, the plastic glow plug seals, can they ever let oil through?

4bye4
16th March 2016, 05:59 PM
Thanks Mudski, I've been shopping around and and the only guys over here that's get involved with this sort of work are the race car lot. Found a guy that will make one to fit for £450 sterling. I don't know what the current conversion is from £ to Au dollars.
What about the plug in sensor on the existing intercooler, would that just be left off?
Price doesn't seem too bad.
Tell me, the plastic glow plug seals, can they ever let oil through?

As Mudski said, usually a radiator place can repair them using your old tanks and welding a new core in. You need to be carefull if someone is making one from the ground up, unless they have exoerience there is a bit more to it than making one the same physical size. If the flow rate through the core is significantly different, the engine management may put you into limp mode or missbehave. You need all the sensors working for the same reason, if the engine management can't see a sensor it will need to be madified in software or it will change the engine in some way to compensate. For instance, my son and I put a new motor in his Feroza a lifetime back and it wouldn't run properly. Ended one sensor was not wired in correctly and the engine managemant figured the motor was stopped/cold starting and turned the choke full on. This was at 100kph on the freeway. Anyway that is just an example, the computer will be looking for sensors so they need tobe there or saftware corrected. BTW when my intercooler leaked I got one from a local radiator place over here in WA. Fitted straight on and worked well and is still working well two years later.
http://www.brownsradiators.com.au/shop/index.php?page=more&id=CACNIS1024

Daveyboyjunior
16th March 2016, 10:19 PM
Thanks Matey, I'll check Browns out and see if they'll ship too!

4bye4
16th March 2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks Matey, I'll check Browns out and see if they'll ship too!
I just quoted that as an example, I don't know if they export. Worth a try though.