PDA

View Full Version : Hand brake adjustment

SKID
9th February 2016, 08:49 PM
I tried adjusting the drum shoes on the back of my transmission, I rotated the cog sever times until it was tight, but I cant seem to turn it in the opposite direction to loosen it off, feel like there is a spring or something stopping it rotating in the opposite direction, as I put the screw driver on it, move it about half a centimeter and when I let go it kicks the screw drive up to where I started, I couldn't reverse out of my driveway today, Ended up putting it in low range, reversing out into street and taking it for a long drive, how can I loosen the adjuster, any help would be appreciated

Cheers in advance

Chubba
10th February 2016, 06:22 AM
You should be able to loosen it up with the adjuster. I wind mine up to a point I can't rotate the drum by hand then wind back one notch. Have you tried pulling the brake lever up as hard as you can to stretch the cable a little? I find mine doesn't stay tight for long anyway and need to adjust it up again before every trip. Doesn't really help you sorry.

SKID
10th February 2016, 06:28 AM
What should I do? I even put a screw driver in yesterday on the lower part of the cog and gave it a few wacks with a hammer and it still wouldn't budge...

Bloodyaussie
10th February 2016, 06:55 AM
What should I do? I even put a screw driver in yesterday on the lower part of the cog and gave it a few wacks with a hammer and it still wouldn't budge...

Which way are you turning it to tighten. . Down is to tighten and up is to loosen.

Is the hand brake off while you are doing this.

If it is so tight it maybe hard to remove the drum to inspect properly.

This involves taking off your drive shaft.

I adjusted mine just the other day.

Hodge
10th February 2016, 07:06 AM
I really have to do this as mine holds as good as Toyota handbrake after the weekend .

Tapatalked from S6

SKID
10th February 2016, 07:18 AM
I read "Click the adjuster up for tighter and down for loose."

SKID
10th February 2016, 07:20 AM
If I lever the screw driver down it is turning the cog up, if I lever the screw driver up its turning the cog down?

Bloodyaussie
10th February 2016, 07:35 AM
To tighten you lever the cog down... is the handbrake off?