PDA

View Full Version : Buying a welder.

Covo71
6th February 2016, 06:14 PM
Need some advice from the experienced.
I want to buy a welder and start working more with making different stuff but unsure of what to buy or need.
I am not flushed with cash so not to expensive.
Can you get something to use on different gauges or types of metals?
Used to do a ton of mig welding and silver soldering around 20 years ago but lot of things changed.
Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers

mudnut
6th February 2016, 06:54 PM
I love my Tig/stick welder, but it is a bit small for larger jobs as it is limited to 80 amps. It is brilliant on panel work.

threedogs
7th February 2016, 08:56 AM
I have a few welders a MIG an old Transarc CIG and a very light inverter welder.
I find I use the inverter more, but I love stick welding , Mig allows anyone to
call themselves a welder,
All depends what you want to build IMO

Covo71
7th February 2016, 09:03 AM
I have a few welders a MIG an old Transarc CIG and a very light inverter welder.
I find I use the inverter more, but I love stick welding , Mig allows anyone to
call themselves a welder,
All depends what you want to build IMO
Thanks TD. Don't want to build anything specific but have found more and more often that I have an idea in my noggin and want to have a crack at it but can't. Different things so that is why I was asking if you can use on different metals or do you have different welder for different jobs?
Cheers

lucus30
7th February 2016, 10:45 AM
I just bought a unimig 175. Seems to lay a bead nicely even for a new welder like myself.

threedogs
7th February 2016, 02:36 PM
Trouble with MIG for the DIYer is the rental and cost of the bottle of Gas,$$$$$$$
I have gasless wire but its not up to par with a MIG weld. For any square tube welding
an inverter would work well, if youre doing a dual cab chop then hire a bottle and mig weld it

lhurley
7th February 2016, 09:22 PM
I have a cheap cig weld 145 amp mig. Runs mig and flux core wires.
Not amazing but does well for sticking things together and odd fix up jobs.

If you want to weld other metals (not just mild steel) then you should look into a tig/stick welder. Tig requires gas but that could be saved for bigger jobs and the stick can be used for quick little jobs.

Nightjar
8th February 2016, 09:16 AM
My old CIG Transarc stick was getting tired so began looking around for a new welder. One that would be handy in the shed and one that was small light weight and could be taken away on our prospecting trips and be run using our Honda 3kva inverter generator.
This one works a treat.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Mishto-MMA-200-200Amp-DC-iGBT-Inverter-Welder-Portable-Stick-Welding-Machine-/271451338239?hash=item3f33c2b5ff:g:wNYAAOSw-W5Utx2~

Strangely if I switched off the generator "economy" and struck an arc the welder tripped after a couple of seconds.
Switched back to "Econ" struck an arc generator came up to revs and the stick burned away.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s122/nightjar3/Inverta%20welder%20007.jpg (http://s151.photobucket.com/user/nightjar3/media/Inverta%20welder%20007.jpg.html)

billyj
8th February 2016, 07:14 PM
Trouble with MIG for the DIYer is the rental and cost of the bottle of Gas,$$$$$$$
I have gasless wire but its not up to par with a MIG weld. For any square tube welding
an inverter would work well, if youre doing a dual cab chop then hire a bottle and mig weld it

check out power 10 gases, avalible through total tools + bunnings if my memorys right, you buy the bottle outright then just swap and go when empty like with bbq gas

Covo71
8th February 2016, 07:22 PM
My old CIG Transarc stick was getting tired so began looking around for a new welder. One that would be handy in the shed and one that was small light weight and could be taken away on our prospecting trips and be run using our Honda 3kva inverter generator.
This one works a treat.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Mishto-MMA-200-200Amp-DC-iGBT-Inverter-Welder-Portable-Stick-Welding-Machine-/271451338239?hash=item3f33c2b5ff:g:wNYAAOSw-W5Utx2~

Strangely if I switched off the generator "economy" and struck an arc the welder tripped after a couple of seconds.
Switched back to "Econ" struck an arc generator came up to revs and the stick burned away.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s122/nightjar3/Inverta%20welder%20007.jpg (http://s151.photobucket.com/user/nightjar3/media/Inverta%20welder%20007.jpg.html)
I am liking the price a lot at $139. It might be a winner.
Cheers

Covo71
8th February 2016, 07:24 PM
check out power 10 gases, avalible through total tools + bunnings if my memorys right, you buy the bottle outright then just swap and go when empty like with bbq gas

No total tools up here and Bunnings don't have gas outside of metro areas

lucus30
8th February 2016, 09:00 PM
Total tools are the go they do most gases while bunnings only do oxygen and acetylene.

mudski
12th February 2016, 09:36 AM
Total tools are the go they do most gases while bunnings only do oxygen and acetylene.

They only sell the bottle and dont hire them. They were from memory $349 for the D size and $499 for the E and the refill was $115 I think for the D....
At $140 for the D and $160 for the E for the gas and $15 per month for the bottle hire from BOC, I'm going this way and getting the E size bottle. Which I was told by BOC holds 2.5 times the amount of gas than the D, so for the extra $20 its a no brainer.

threedogs
12th February 2016, 10:24 AM
IMO its a lot of dollars sitting there if your not welding every day, just seems a waste.
Just buy when you have a project on and maybe see if mates want something made at the
same time you could share costs.

Covo71
12th February 2016, 11:37 AM
IMO its a lot of dollars sitting there if your not welding every day, just seems a waste.
Just buy when you have a project on and maybe see if mates want something made at the
same time you could share costs.

I think might be going for a cheaper stick welder. I just like having a go at something new.

GeeYou8
12th February 2016, 12:19 PM
BOC have a new system for D size bottles, $108 for gas & 1 year rent, cheaper than anything else I have seen.

I have a BOC Smootharc 180, given to me by my boilermaker mate so I don't have to ask him to weld things.
Graham

mudski
12th February 2016, 12:48 PM
BOC have a new system for D size bottles, $108 for gas & 1 year rent, cheaper than anything else I have seen.

I have a BOC Smootharc 180, given to me by my boilermaker mate so I don't have to ask him to weld things.
Graham
Yep i just got back from boc and went this option. Plus, for the first twelve months you get one refill for free. To top it off the woman who served me is into 4bys, has a playdo, so we chatted for ages about stuff and she is hawt too!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

threedogs
12th February 2016, 12:55 PM
$108 for rent and gas sounds like a great deal.

@ Covo you'll be surprised what you can weld with a stick welder
it takes skill but imo a better looking weld. Just take your time
get comfortable if you burn holes its too hot or you've welded for to long a
period, Try a series of tacks dont forget to tack the reverse side either
or it wont stay flat. You'll get the hang of it .

lucus30
12th February 2016, 12:58 PM
Yep i just got back from boc and went this option. Plus, for the first twelve months you get one refill for free. To top it off the woman who served me is into 4bys, has a playdo, so we chatted for ages about stuff and she is hawt too!

Hmm thats not bad value. Might have to go grab one myself.
What gas would you recommend? I was thinking 100% argon?

GeeYou8
12th February 2016, 01:20 PM
Argon/CO2 mix for mild steel
In the deal you can get nitrogen, argon, argon/co2 or oxygen.
Graham

threedogs
12th February 2016, 03:27 PM
I think you have to pick up the bottle with a trailer OH&S.
They let me last time put it in the patrol,
only just fit and boy was it heavy

mudski
12th February 2016, 07:03 PM
Hmm thats not bad value. Might have to go grab one myself.
What gas would you recommend? I was thinking 100% argon?
Its called Argoshield light. I asked for Argon gas and then said i would be using it for general mild steel mig welding and the girl said to use Argoshield light. not the right gas for stainless steel welding, as i will have a crack at my intake pipe soon, but will still work. The finish wont be there, thats all. But i am wrapping the intake pipe in exhaust wrap anyways so...

GeeYou8
12th February 2016, 10:01 PM
I think you have to pick up the bottle with a trailer OH&S.
They let me last time put it in the patrol,
only just fit and boy was it heavy
The D size is about the size of a SCUBA tank, so not too bad.

BigRAWesty
13th February 2016, 09:19 AM
Its called Argoshield light. I asked for Argon gas and then said i would be using it for general mild steel mig welding and the girl said to use Argoshield light. not the right gas for stainless steel welding, as i will have a crack at my intake pipe soon, but will still work. The finish wont be there, thats all. But i am wrapping the intake pipe in exhaust wrap anyways so...

Yea the light will do you guys with sheet metal..
you'll want the heavy once you get up to 6mm + plate..

Love my stick welder.. it's all I have..
Well. I the acdc tig but that's a different league..
The only problem with stick is its way slow.. but cheap to run..

Yes boc's new gas rates are awesome..
If you can get a bottle out even every 3 years your in front by renting..

But I've said it before and I'll say it again not to offend anyone but..
It's one thing you be able to stick 2 bits of steel together, it's another to weld them properly.

At a minimum before doing anything I'd suggest a night class at TAFE. I know darren did one.. you'll learn so much..

Anyway enjoy the art guys.. your imagination is the limit with steel

Rossco
13th February 2016, 09:38 AM
Yea the light will do you guys with sheet metal..
you'll want the heavy once you get up to 6mm + plate..

Love my stick welder.. it's all I have..
Well. I the acdc tig but that's a different league..
The only problem with stick is its way slow.. but cheap to run..

Yes boc's new gas rates are awesome..
If you can get a bottle out even every 3 years your in front by renting..

But I've said it before and I'll say it again not to offend anyone but..
It's one thing you be able to stick 2 bits of steel together, it's another to weld them properly.

At a minimum before doing anything I'd suggest a night class at TAFE. I know darren did one.. you'll learn so much..

Anyway enjoy the art guys.. your imagination is the limit with steel
Yeah have to agree although i don't claim to be a great welder, i did a short tafe course and it was really great. After that just spend time and practice. Although i absolutely love my mig i think it's worth spending the time with a sick gives you a good understanding of the principles of welding and should help develop some reasonable technique, an arc welder won't tolerate bad technique much at all.

As for bottles i use size d pretty handy size for occasional jobs and lasts long enough and just use the general argo shield seems to work well with most stuff.

Yeah just about practice really, is great fun tho.

threedogs
13th February 2016, 02:27 PM
Is the BOC deal only through their BOC outlets ?

@ Mudski what are you doing to your intake pipe??

BigRAWesty
13th February 2016, 03:03 PM

Yep and only available to boc stores and small businesses or private..
Not large

lucus30
20th February 2016, 05:24 AM
And this is why you should cover up while welding.

Lesson learnt

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/02/216.jpg

BigRAWesty
20th February 2016, 07:46 AM
And this is why you should cover up while welding.

Lesson learnt

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/02/216.jpg
Bahahaha.. that's only the start lol

Covo71
20th February 2016, 07:53 AM
Just saw in a Gasweld catalogue they sell the bottles full from $215 so no rent. That would be the small bottle but is that reasonable?

threedogs
20th February 2016, 08:05 AM
@ Lucas you need to be very careful of radiation burns
same as you need to protect yourself from "Flash".
It s worse than sun burn

lhurley
20th February 2016, 08:20 AM
Chuck on some sunscreen if you are doing heaps of welding or only in a short sleeve shirt. Won't stop the burn but does help.

threedogs
20th February 2016, 10:15 AM
Be very wary where you're welding too, oily rags,, tins of thinners etc
all need to be removed from the area. Same goes if you're grinding anything.
You may be surprised what can catch fire. Have an extinguisher at the ready
or at least handy

Buy you'll figure it out after a few fires lol

GeeYou8
21st February 2016, 05:59 PM
Don't forget, no welding or grinding outdoors during total fire bans.
Graham

mudski
21st February 2016, 07:50 PM

Hey John. when the conversion was done they made up the intake pipe. I was too close to the exhaust manifold for my liking. So i cut it and moved it away from the manifold. I couldnt just twist the pipe away as it changed the angle where the pipe joined the air cleaner box.
Then wrapped the intake pipe in header pipe wrap.

mudski
21st February 2016, 07:51 PM
Just saw in a Gasweld catalogue they sell the bottles full from $215 so no rent. That would be the small bottle but is that reasonable?
What are they charging for a refill?

nissannewby
21st February 2016, 07:56 PM
https://weldingstore.tokentools.com.au/buy-gas-cylinders/#/category/426

Just as a reference.

Covo71
21st February 2016, 08:14 PM
What are they charging for a refill?

Unsure as they did not have that in the catalogue. Limited choices in Coffs.

BigRAWesty
21st February 2016, 08:41 PM
Unsure as they did not have that in the catalogue. Limited choices in Coffs.
I think that would be the small small bottles..
Boc now for an E size (small as I would personally go) Argon is like $57 refills and $8 rent a month..

mudski
21st February 2016, 09:20 PM
I think that would be the small small bottles..
Boc now for an E size (small as I would personally go) Argon is like $57 refills and $8 rent a month..
Yeah i went to boc with getting an E. But they charge $115 for the bottle and $15 per month for it. It all depends on how much welding one does really. For now i have the D sized bottle, worked out better for me this way. But if i f7nd im using more gas than anticipated. I'll just get the larger bottle.

Covo71
21st February 2016, 10:42 PM
http://www.gasweld.com.au/catalogue/#32
Seems if you need to have it for a long term before it becomes cheaper than renting. I think it would make more sense for me to rent.

BigRAWesty
22nd February 2016, 09:46 AM
Yeah i went to boc with getting an E. But they charge $115 for the bottle and $15 per month for it. It all depends on how much welding one does really. For now i have the D sized bottle, worked out better for me this way. But if i f7nd im using more gas than anticipated. I'll just get the larger bottle.

You have to ask em for the special personal rate..

GeeYou8
22nd February 2016, 07:36 PM
I think they call the special "D light"
Graham