PDA

View Full Version : RB30 guys

Throbbinhood
4th February 2016, 03:52 PM
Hey rb30 guys, wondering what you set your timing at. Running straight petrol. Also, when you set it do you do it with the vac advance unplugged?

I've done it before and it runs fine, but figured I'd just see what everyone else does.

FWIW, I know the factory procedures, so just seeing if anyone differs from that.

mudnut
4th February 2016, 04:05 PM
I set my timing as per instructions after the head gasket was replaced. The machining of the head meant the compression ratio changed slightly and the engine was detonating. I took it to the Dyno guy and he changed it a fair bit.

EDIT, while on the dyno, he timed it with the advance still connected.

dom14
5th February 2016, 02:08 AM
AFAIK, vacuum advance should be left connected & the engine should be warmed up to normal temperature before adjusting the ignition timing.

Throbbinhood
5th February 2016, 11:08 AM
AFAIK, vacuum advance should be left connected & the engine should be warmed up to normal temperature before adjusting the time.

Hmm interesting. Any idea what timing you guys are running? Pretty sure I'm are 12btdc at idle with vac connected from memory.

mudnut
5th February 2016, 11:48 AM
From what I remember, The timing is retarded by 12 degrees from standard.

dom14
6th February 2016, 01:11 AM
Mine is 10 BTDC atm. But, I tend to fiddle with it depend on the weather, changing couple of degrees either way.
I'm not sure whether it makes any sense, but I keep experimenting with it.
My RB30 cold idle is around 500-600 atm, which I'm pretty sure has a lot to do with the carby, which I haven't got around to adjust it yet. Once it's warmed up, it goes to 800-900.