PDA

View Full Version : Td42 info

Shaft10
3rd February 2016, 08:13 AM
Hi fellas I got myself a silver top that I'll be stripping down to set up for a turbo. I'll be gettin head block and pump check new bearings etc my question is do I need to upgrade Pistons or will stock ones handle it. Not goin for massive power if I can get 15-18psi boost I rekin I'll be happy. Was gonna get crank checked and balanced as well. Is there any work I should get done to the head or will leavin it as is be fine. Will prolly think of more stuff as I go but any input be very helpful cheers

threedogs
3rd February 2016, 09:54 AM
Forgotten their name but someone did an awesome rebuild on a td4.2 pictures
and why he used what accessories etc like ceramic topped pistons longer squirts for the journals.
Have a search if you find it you wont be sorry, one of the better engine build write ups Ive seen

Shaft10
3rd February 2016, 10:10 AM
Cheers mate I'll keep looking

threedogs
3rd February 2016, 10:16 AM
Can anyone remember who did the rebuilt he even made his own engine mounts?

BigRAWesty
3rd February 2016, 03:14 PM
This one
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=34611

mudski
3rd February 2016, 06:10 PM
A mild setup stock pistons would be ok i reckon but if you have it apart. Spend the extra on better engine parts. Thats what i did...

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Shaft10
3rd February 2016, 09:32 PM
This link is for the body build couldn't find anythin about the motor

ova50
3rd February 2016, 09:50 PM
Was it this one ???:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?31832

nissannewby
3rd February 2016, 10:41 PM
Ben-e-boy did a fair bit on his donk.

Shaft10
4th February 2016, 12:31 AM
Yeh bens looks awesome but a bit outta my league. If I upgrade internals will pistons and conrods be enough or do I have to go further. Also really interested to see how ppl have gone with gettin head work done is it worth the money

mudski
4th February 2016, 10:58 PM
If you have a budget, then build to it. I had some mild head work done to a brand spanking TD42t head on my build. Porting, stellite valves and stronger springs.Is it worth the money. Don't know. As I went from a ZD to TD I had nothing to compare it with. I suppose you need to work out what you want out of the motor. Then kind of design the build from there. No point putting all the biggest and best gear on their only to run it totally stock.

How is Bens motor going Mat? Back up and running?

Shaft10
5th February 2016, 06:19 AM
Cheers for the link that was a good read. Gave me a lot to think about. Definitely gonna put better internal components and I'm thinkin I'll get as much done to the head and my funds allow. I've found a second hand denco turbo kit if it's all sweet might go for that if not I liked the safari kit on my old work ute that thing used to hum along.

Ben-e-boy
5th February 2016, 10:58 AM
Cheers for the link that was a good read. Gave me a lot to think about. Definitely gonna put better internal components and I'm thinkin I'll get as much done to the head and my funds allow. I've found a second hand denco turbo kit if it's all sweet might go for that if not I liked the safari kit on my old work ute that thing used to hum along.

You dont really need headwork. I spent 3k on the head using the original, and doing the porting myself, which took a good 35 man hours to do x at least $70/ hour if you paid for it. Its uncalled for, for what you are saying you want out of it. You are already looking at $1k getting the head cleaned up as it is.

Just get turbo pistons ( you can get them to suit a 28mm gudgeon), turbo oil pump, new harmonic balancer and make sure you balance the engine. Pistons and rods individually and full rotating assembly including flywheel and clutch. Thats all.
Please dont put a second hand denco junker on a new engine. Get a new gtx 2863 or ufi16g or some thing new

Shaft10
6th February 2016, 08:43 AM
Funny u say that bene was talkin to my cousin last night who will be helping me and said same thing ha h so yes will be putting new turbo on it. When it comes to turbo pistons are the ones engines Australia sell the go or would you use something else. I know 2 people who have melted Pistons in their cruisers so wanna make sure I get the right ones as I've been talkin the td42 up a fair bit

Shaft10
6th February 2016, 01:11 PM
My cousin also mentioned mahle Pistons never heard of them any1 know much bout them

Makka
18th April 2016, 01:59 PM
Mahle pistons oh the memorys of building a red hot 1380 for my mini mahle pistons where the big cheese to have back then were quality gear cant say now but yeah........