PDA

View Full Version : Gu cruise control

Dannyboyz
30th January 2016, 06:40 PM
Hey guys, I'm planning a trip up to darwin from Vic mid year in the 98 TD42 wagon and really want to fit it with cruise to stop the right foot cramping. I have seen the d shape controller that fits in the right hand side of the steering wheel on other Gu's and wondering if anyone can tell me what brand they are and where to get one, I have looked on ebay and can only find kits for 3lts in later models. Also interested in any other kits blokes may be running that work well.
Thanks, Danny

the evil twin
30th January 2016, 08:02 PM
I've always gone with AP60 for the GU's.

Never had a problem and they fit up fairly neat

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CRUISE-CONTROL-DIY-KIT-COMMAND-AP60-VACUUM-ACTUATOR-/290821587855?hash=item43b651438f:g:87QAAMXQfvlSgGo h

BigRAWesty
30th January 2016, 08:49 PM
When I was looking at fitting cruise to the q it seemed the AP60 was the pick..
That was a few years ago now so things could have changed..
The AP60 is a good setup, but tap it into the spedo cable wire to the dash, the magnets on the drive line tend to fail to often

Dannyboyz
30th January 2016, 09:24 PM
Thank you guys, have see this kit in the autobarn how ever not as cheap as that link, are they hard to fit? I'm no mechanic or auto elec but there isn't much on the troll I haven't been able to fumble my way though yet

GeeYou8
30th January 2016, 09:30 PM
I have had 2x AP50 (older model) systems one on a 1990 Hilux & one on a GU2 (servo pulling the accelerator in the cab), they are great units, if you have got a manual you will need to install a clutch switch, there is a mounting hole ready for it. Back up from the Command Auto is fantastic, when my servo cable broke (chaffed through, should have installed it better) they sent me a new servo at minimal cost. If you give Command Auto Group a call they can advise you on what you need.
BTW the AP50 held the speed within 1km/h on the GPS, factory cruise is 2 to 3 km/h.
Graham

sooty_10
30th January 2016, 11:15 PM
Has anyone tried the AP300 cruise on an early GU? Apparently they can use the gearbox sensor or speedo signals etc and are calibrated through the cruise unit. Not reliant on pulse rates or something. Might be a more secure method than the magnets?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291326789550&alt=web

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

jay see
30th January 2016, 11:25 PM
Nah, sorry mate can't help on that one.

GeeYou8
31st January 2016, 09:27 AM
Has anyone tried the AP300 cruise on an early GU? Apparently they can use the gearbox sensor or speedo signals etc and are calibrated through the cruise unit. Not reliant on pulse rates or something. Might be a more secure method than the magnets?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=291326789550&alt=web

I don't remember the model, but they did make one for the ZD30 (GU2) that uses speedo pulses & electronic throttle control so there is no mechanical cable.
When I enquired it had to be installed by a Command Auto dealer.
Graham

Dannyboyz
29th May 2016, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, I finally got the ap60 cruise kit and began to fit it this weekend, just a few questions if anyone has fitted one, where should I get the vacuum from for the actuator? And can anyone point me in the direction of the speedo cable wire that Kallan mentioned earlier in the thread? I looked at fitting the magnets on the drive shaft but it just looks too hard to fit and too easy to fail!

BigRAWesty
29th May 2016, 08:03 PM
If you have AC grab the vacume from the ac idle up unit..

And hunt for the speed sender unit. Pretty sure it's on the gearbox.

Dannyboyz
30th May 2016, 07:35 AM
Thanks Kallan, might be a good time to get the AC idle up working, it was one thing that didn't get hooked up when I swapped out the 2.8 for the TD42

threedogs
30th May 2016, 11:50 AM
I have the Autron CC find it very easy to use, only thing Ive changed is the led light position
for when its on from down on the dash in front of the tacho to next to my gauge on the
pillar pod. Much easier to read from there imo

Dannyboyz
30th May 2016, 11:58 AM
Thanks TD, My brother has that kit in his GU and he was saying it's hard to see that light down near the keys, I will show him that photo, looks neat mate. I love the steering wheel controls. I wish that my Command kit had those controls

threedogs
30th May 2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks TD, My brother has that kit in his GU and he was saying it's hard to see that light down near the keys, I will show him that photo, looks neat mate. I love the steering wheel controls. I wish that my Command kit had those controls

It was easy enough to extend the existing wiring , solder and heat shrink
on all three wires, I blocked the old hole with a black moulding plug

Dannyboyz
30th May 2016, 07:12 PM
I like it TD, much neater than I would have done, lol, on another note, does anyone have any other ideas on where to get my vacuum from? I now remember why I didn't hook the AC idle up, the 2.8 didn't have the vacuum idle up, it was electronic I belive, so unfortunately I can't use that as Kallan suggested so I am now on the hunt for another good vacuum source!

sooty_10
30th May 2016, 08:26 PM
Not sure how your conversion way done but I have the idle up vacuum valve and lines in mine. It just doesn't do anything for idle, but i could easily use it as a vacuum source.

GeeYou8
30th May 2016, 11:06 PM
Is there a vacuum tank?
Follow the hoses to/from the tank.
Graham

BigRAWesty
31st May 2016, 07:01 AM
The TD should have one but being a conversion it may have not been fitted..
The later ZD30 doesn't have em but my old GQ definitely did need it..

LostBenji
31st May 2016, 07:30 AM
I don't remember the model, but they did make one for the ZD30 (GU2) that uses speedo pulses & electronic throttle control so there is no mechanical cable.
When I enquired it had to be installed by a Command Auto dealer.
Graham
See below.

I have the Autron CC find it very easy to use, only thing Ive changed is the led light position
for when its on from down on the dash in front of the tacho to next to my gauge on the
pillar pod. Much easier to read from there imo

The Cruise Control units for the ZD30 (drive-by-wire) were originally known as Auscruise before Autron.
http://www.autron.com.au/pages/Auscruise/Drive-by-Wire.php

I used to be an qualified CC installer years back and these were great at keeping exact speed without chasing that comes with vac controlled setups.
The units were not for DIY as it required factory loom and plug pins to be pulled and modified. Afterwards, you have a smooth controller.

The "D-shaped" controller can be seen in the images below:
http://www.autron.com.au/pages/Image%20Gallery/Images.php

Dannyboyz
31st May 2016, 08:12 AM
@ sooty and westy, I do have the actuator for the idle up on the motor under the throttle, it pulls on the same bit as the throttle cable, however there is no valve or lines on the body to hook it up. Westy I did find the speed sensor and have connected to it, so thank you for that.
@ Geeyou I do have the two black vacuum tanks on the passenger side of the engine bay, between the second battery and the firewall. One is bigger than the other and they are joined on the top by a couple of large hoses (approx 3/8) would it be possible to T into one of these hoses? Or should I chase the hoses to somewhere else?
@ lostbenji, that would explain why I couldn't find a DIY kit with the D shaped controller when I was chasing one, lol, so thanks for the info

threedogs
31st May 2016, 01:58 PM
The Cruise Control units for the ZD30 (drive-by-wire) were originally known as Auscruise before Autron.
http://www.autron.com.au/pages/Auscruise/Drive-by-Wire.php

I used to be an qualified CC installer years back and these were great at keeping exact speed without chasing that comes with vac controlled setups.
The units were not for DIY as it required factory loom and plug pins to be pulled and modified. Afterwards, you have a smooth controller.

,perfect for an auto to IMO 100% agree it holds it speed well

LostBenji
31st May 2016, 05:32 PM
The biggest rush of clients where when the Navara's came out with the ZD30's and people were getting dicked all the time.

Dannyboyz
31st May 2016, 05:47 PM
So got the vacuum sorted, ran through all the diagnostics and it was working perfectly. Time for the road test!
I wish was posting success in full however I'm guessing that i have stuffed up connecting into the speed sensor as I now have no movement on the speedo, which in turn means cruise not working. Damn it all!
Any suggestions would be welcome?

threedogs
31st May 2016, 05:56 PM
Other than Yendor or ET I have no idea.
maybe re-trace your steps and possibly see where you have gone wrong

Dannyboyz
31st May 2016, 07:46 PM
Ok so retraced my steps and found the culprit, fixed the dodgy join and have speedo again, however cruise still won't set, checked with multimeter and getting exact same reading from the speed sensor all the way through to the control box for the cruise. Wondering if it's possible that the pulse out of the gearbox on the troll is too different to the pulse from the supplied magnet kit? I'm not sure, if anyone has any idea would be great, failing that I will ring command tomorrow and ask them

LostBenji
1st June 2016, 07:46 AM
Ok so retraced my steps and found the culprit, fixed the dodgy join and have speedo again, however cruise still won't set, checked with multimeter and getting exact same reading from the speed sensor all the way through to the control box for the cruise. Wondering if it's possible that the pulse out of the gearbox on the troll is too different to the pulse from the supplied magnet kit? I'm not sure, if anyone has any idea would be great, failing that I will ring command tomorrow and ask them

If the kit requires a magnet to be fitted to drive, then you need to use it. The signal out of the speed sender will be pulsing a lot faster but also weaker than what the CC is looking for.

Dannyboyz
1st June 2016, 08:04 AM
Ok mate, Thankyou, that confirms my suspicions, I had a play on the way to work this morning and got it to engage at 15kms and accelerate up to 40kms using the CC set/acc button, I know this is way too slow, and it's would be cos the pulse is too fast, also it was surging really bad, as if I was tapping the acc pedal flat out. I'm guessing this is because the pulse is too weak as you say. Is there any way of using something different than the magnets that you know of? I just think the magnets will make a swift departure first trip off road. Or have I bought the wrong kit for a 4wd?

BigRAWesty
1st June 2016, 08:05 AM
If the kit requires a magnet to be fitted to drive, then you need to use it. The signal out of the speed sender will be pulsing a lot faster but also weaker than what the CC is looking for.
The AP60 can use both..
It's marketed towards older cars, some which have cable driven speedo..
So in those vehicles yes magnets have to be used..
But it is quite happy with a speedo feed..
But, as a failsafe try a magnet on the shaft and see how it goes..
Is there any calibration setup needed.

Dannyboyz
1st June 2016, 08:19 AM
Now that you say that Kallan I just remembered something in the instructions about cutting the black loop wire (there is one hanging out of the control box) if the CC engages at a speed thats too low, I will try that tonight, if that's no good I will ring Command and see what they recommend

Dannyboyz
1st June 2016, 09:24 PM
Just an update for anyone who is interested, on the control box for the AP60 there is a small loop of black wire with both ends running into the box, in the instructions it says that when using the magnets, if the speed that the CC engaged at is below 40kph, to either reduce the number of magnets or cut the black loop wire. As I'm trying to use the speed sensor and my cruise would only engage up as far as 45kph, so I cut the wire, now it has a max set speed of 94kph (GPS) however if I hold the set/acc button it will accelerate up to around 110kph then cut out. So I'm sure I can make it work up to 100 but I will have to ring Command and see if there is any further calibration that can be done on my end.
If you are interested, check back for an update some time tomorrow avo

By the way, it sits on 94 like a dream, cruise holds it steady as a rock

BigRAWesty
1st June 2016, 09:29 PM
Just an update for anyone who is interested, on the control box for the AP60 there is a small loop of black wire with both ends running into the box, in the instructions it says that when using the magnets, if the speed that the CC engaged at is below 40kph, to either reduce the number of magnets or cut the black loop wire. As I'm trying to use the speed sensor and my cruise would only engage up as far as 45kph, so I cut the wire, now it has a max set speed of 94kph (GPS) however if I hold the set/acc button it will accelerate up to around 110kph then cut out. So I'm sure I can make it work up to 100 but I will have to ring Command and see if there is any further calibration that can be done on my end.
If you are interested, check back for an update some time tomorrow avo

By the way, it sits on 94 like a dream, cruise holds it steady as a rock
Well that's sorta a win..
Bit of a bugger..
Hopefully some calibration can be done?

Dannyboyz
1st June 2016, 09:56 PM
Let's hope so, if not, I'll just think of the fuel I will save doing 94kph all the way through central Australia!

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2016, 06:14 AM
Let's hope so, if not, I'll just think of the fuel I will save doing 94kph all the way through central Australia!
Put on 35's.. then you'll be doing 106 ish..

Dannyboyz
2nd June 2016, 06:32 AM
Ha ha, already rolling on 35s mate, maybe 37s? That could be the problem, with the GPS saying 94 the speedo is saying 102, I need my speedo to read 108 to be doing 100

LostBenji
2nd June 2016, 07:18 AM
Make sure you are on straight & level ground for a KM before using the GPS reading. Anything else is biased results.

Dannyboyz
2nd June 2016, 07:41 AM
Ok mate, I used it the whole way home from work last night, about 20ks with a couple of small hills up and down, after every hill it would settle back to 94

BigRAWesty
2nd June 2016, 08:11 AM
Think of the fuel..
Think of the fuel..
Lol

Dannyboyz
2nd June 2016, 08:27 AM
That's it mate! 👍

threedogs
2nd June 2016, 01:33 PM
Best bit of kit out there for an auto Patrol I reckon.
had a CC in a RR we went to Cape York in,, this was back
in 83 that had magnets on the tail shaft with no problems

Dannyboyz
3rd June 2016, 10:24 AM
Ok sorry guys, phone had a nasty accident yesterday so couldnt get in for the update, official word from Command is I will have to put magnets on. Pulse is too fast out of my factory speed sensor

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
3rd June 2016, 10:25 AM
Bugger..
What a pain..
Sorry mate.

Dannyboyz
3rd June 2016, 10:57 AM
Its all good mate. Always up for a learning experience, I will just have to figure out a better way of attaching the magnets to the tail shaft. Better than the double sided tape that came in the kit

threedogs
3rd June 2016, 11:16 AM
Not 100% sure but on the RR years ago I think my mate used
some sparky tape on the outside then some aircraft lock wire.
It never moved from what I know

Dannyboyz
3rd June 2016, 11:20 AM
Now that you say that TD there is a small coil of wire that come in the kit and little tabs on the magnets that would fit the wire perfectly! Cant belive I didnt realize thats what it was for!
Doh! (Smacks self on the forehead)

sooty_10
3rd June 2016, 11:31 AM
I think the AP300 might be speed sensor compatible? Can anyone confirm that? It is a dearer setup though.

Dannyboyz
3rd June 2016, 10:39 PM
Woo hoo, road test complete with magnet on drive shaft. All working perfectly. Sits on its speed like a dream, didnt take it past 104 but im sure it will go faster, thats about as fast as I'm gunna cruise at anyway. Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice and I hope this thread will help someone else in the future. NT here we come!

BigRAWesty
3rd June 2016, 11:37 PM
Awesome news mate..

ad4x4
22nd June 2017, 01:25 PM
Ok sorry guys, phone had a nasty accident yesterday so couldnt get in for the update, official word from Command is I will have to put magnets on. Pulse is too fast out of my factory speed sensor

I am installing a Command AP60B, and with one magnet on and the loop wire cut, it would only work above 80kph. I spoke to command and they said I could use the built in speed sensor cable instead of magnets (or add an extra magnet). Not sure how that gels with Dannyboyz' experience with the pulses being too fast and command saying go to magnets!!