PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic lifters on the Patrol?

SiberianPatrol
30th January 2016, 05:11 PM
Are there any Patrol engines with factory hydraulic lifters? I just had my engine rebuilt and when the shop rebuilt the head, they installed hydraulic lifters instead of the standard mechanical ones. Are there any shortcomings/advantages to one over the other? Initial 50km driving seems quieter and smoother. Interested on any thoughts and feedback on this.

BTW - I'm running the RD28Ti in a 99GU with a mechanical injector pump.

dom14
1st February 2016, 02:12 AM
Was it a bottom end rebuild as well or a cylinder head rebuild only?

I have an RB30 Patrol(petrol & LPG). It's a factory hydraulic lifter engine.
They are pretty good. They need no adjustment unlike the mechanical tappets.
I didn't know hydraulic lifters can be fitted to replace mechanical tappets.
The cylinder head apparently was designed with that in mind.
Not sure how they would go in your case though.

SiberianPatrol
1st February 2016, 01:15 PM
Was it a bottom end rebuild as well or a cylinder head rebuild only?

I have an RB30 Patrol(petrol & LPG). It's a factory hydraulic lifter engine.
They are pretty good. They need no adjustment unlike the mechanical tappets.
I didn't know hydraulic lifters can be fitted to replace mechanical tappets.
The cylinder head apparently was designed with that in mind.
Not sure how they would go in your case though.

Yes, it was a complete rebuild - top and bottom. I completely replaced the head as it was warped and scored and the new head was from an RD28 non-turbo that mated up perfectly. It had hydraulic lifters already, so the mechanic bought new hydraulics lifters and put them in the new head. So I guess I'm running a bit of a Frankenstein setup right now. It's running great and smoother than ever, so we'll see how it goes.

dom14
2nd February 2016, 02:48 PM
Yes, it was a complete rebuild - top and bottom. I completely replaced the head as it was warped and scored and the new head was from an RD28 non-turbo that mated up perfectly. It had hydraulic lifters already, so the mechanic bought new hydraulics lifters and put them in the new head. So I guess I'm running a bit of a Frankenstein setup right now. It's running great and smoother than ever, so we'll see how it goes.

Sounds good. I'm not too sure how the non-turbo head would go with the turbo engine. Hopefully, they upgraded the necessary bits on the head for the turbo.

mudnut
2nd February 2016, 03:16 PM
As suggested in another thread, to do with using a non-turbo head on a turbo engine: the inlet springs and valves might be a bit heavier to counter the pressure from the turbo, but don't take that as gospel. You will have to do the research on it.

dom14
2nd February 2016, 10:24 PM
As suggested in another thread, to do with using a non-turbo head on a turbo engine: the inlet springs and valves might be a bit heavier to counter the pressure from the turbo, but don't take that as gospel. You will have to do the research on it.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. The standard head usually lasts longer with few turbo specific mods.

Kimbo63
2nd February 2016, 11:39 PM
Hi there
Using hydraulic lifters on a camshaft that is ground for solid lifters will make your engine loose power and torque compared to using solid lifters it is best to use the lifters the cam was ground for
Cheers Kimbo

dom14
3rd February 2016, 12:38 AM
Hi there
Using hydraulic lifters on a camshaft that is ground for solid lifters will make your engine loose power and torque compared to using solid lifters it is best to use the lifters the cam was ground for
Cheers Kimbo

Yeah, you must be right there. OPs replacement head already came with hydraulic lifters.

SiberianPatrol
3rd February 2016, 01:27 AM
Hi there
Cheers Kimbo

How will hydraulic lifters on a solid lifter ground cam cause a lack of power and torque?

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical injector pump, 5kBt Webasto circulation heater, 33" Yokohama Geolander I/T, SaaS boost & EGT gauges, 2" Ironman suspension...more to come

SiberianPatrol
3rd February 2016, 01:29 AM
Yeah, you must be right there. OPs replacement engine already came with hydraulic lifters.

The replacement head came with hydraulic lifters. Not sure if the camshaft was reused from my original engine or if it was from the new head. I'm thinking it was my original cam.

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical injector pump, 5kBt Webasto circulation heater, 33" Yokohama Geolander I/T, SaaS boost & EGT gauges, 2" Ironman suspension...more to come

SiberianPatrol
3rd February 2016, 01:31 AM

I'm pretty sure they kept all the springs and valves from the original turbo head - just cleaned them up and reseated them with the new lifters.

Kimbo63
3rd February 2016, 08:55 AM
How will hydraulic lifters on a solid lifter ground cam cause a lack of power and torque?

Fitting hyd lifters will change the the time the valves are open with solid lifters you have a valve clearance of say 0.20 to 0.30mm hyd.lifters have zero valve clearance you may not feel this as you now have a fresh engine but it will move the power band up the rpm scale and there will be a loss in power and torque also make sure you change the oil regular as Soot build up may block your lifters and cause them to stop bleeding down and this could be a disaster waiting to happen

dom14
3rd February 2016, 01:54 PM
I'm pretty sure they kept all the springs and valves from the original turbo head - just cleaned them up and reseated them with the new lifters.

Are you certain that your original cylinder head had mechanical tappets, not hydraulic lifters?

SiberianPatrol
5th February 2016, 10:31 AM
Are you certain that your original cylinder head had mechanical tappets, not hydraulic lifters?

Pretty sure they were. I know they had washers as spacers and now they don't as they are now the hydraulic lifters.