PDA

View Full Version : 2010 GU Series 7 A/C Condensor fan (lack of).

clubbyr8
29th January 2016, 09:36 AM
I know there are several posts on this subject, but I was wondering why some vehicles have them installed and others don't (I don't). What size fan is normally installed? It's been mentioned it's installed on the RHS (passenger side) of the condensor, why not over the whole thing? Anyone have pics of one installed in their car? Would the wiring be there since some cars of my model have them and others don't? I guess the fan would be set up as a pusher as there's no room to mount it behind the condensor. Any help appreciated....

vfamily
29th January 2016, 10:00 AM
they are not fitted to newer patrols

vfamily
29th January 2016, 10:01 AM
it is normal not to have one fitted

vfamily
29th January 2016, 10:09 AM
The fan shroud in the engine bay has a cut out for the condenser fan on the passenger side to allow airflow
If you a/c is working fine I would not worry about it

Yendor
29th January 2016, 10:30 AM
The condenser fan mounts on the passenger side in front of the condenser. I installed a condenser fan out of a series 4 in mine. It bolted straight in.

The relay is located in the relay box beside the battery. The switching side of the relay was already there. So the condenser fan is still ECU controlled. You just need to run a power supply to the relay and wire harness from the relay to the condenser fan.

The A/C will be more efficient with the condenser fan fitted.

I can post a photo of the condenser fan mounted if you need it.

clubbyr8
29th January 2016, 11:10 AM
The condenser fan mounts on the passenger side in front of the condenser. I installed a condenser fan out of a series 4 in mine. It bolted straight in.

The relay is located in the relay box beside the battery. The switching side of the relay was already there. So the condenser fan is still ECU controlled. You just need to run a power supply to the relay and wire harness from the relay to the condenser fan.

The A/C will be more efficient with the condenser fan fitted.

I can post a photo of the condenser fan mounted if you need it.

Thanks mate, I'd appreciate a photo if you could provide one.... :)

Yendor
29th January 2016, 12:43 PM
Here's the best photo I can get without taking the grill out.64350

Yendor
29th January 2016, 12:47 PM
This one shows the top mounting

clubbyr8
29th January 2016, 01:06 PM
This one shows the top mounting

Thanks Yendor, all I got to do now is find one...lol

clubbyr8
29th January 2016, 02:52 PM
Looking at the relay box, the only unpopulated relay base is top row, 2nd from the left and is labelled Shift Lock/Rad Fan, is this the relay position you're talking about? If it is, does it take a standard blue Nissan relay? Or am I looking in the wrong area?

Yendor
29th January 2016, 03:18 PM
Yes that's the one. It takes the black relay. Does it have 4 terminals in the relay block or only 2?. Your vehicle might have all the wiring already there.

clubbyr8
29th January 2016, 03:27 PM
Yes that's the one. It takes the black relay. Does it have 4 terminals in the relay block or only 2?. Your vehicle might have all the wiring already there.

Looks like 4, can't see one too clearly, but there's more than the coil terminals. If the wiring is there, where is the connector located? Is it behind the grill?

schanmala
29th January 2016, 03:31 PM
okay cool thanks Yendor.

I have the condenser fan already (been in the shed for 2 years!)

Was put in the too hard basket as last time i checked there was no existing wiring.

Will have a better look this weekend.

Manual GU8

Yendor
29th January 2016, 03:32 PM
If it's there, the connecter for the condenser fan should be taped to the main harness in front of the radiator support panel just above where the condenser fan would be mounted. From memory it's a 4 pin plug with two coloured wires and two black wires in it.

Yendor
29th January 2016, 03:38 PM
Maybe some nice person that has a factory fitted condenser fan could post a picture of where the connector connects to the vehicle's wire harness.

clubbyr8
29th January 2016, 03:41 PM
If it's there, the connecter for the condenser fan should be taped to the main harness in front of the radiator support panel just above where the condenser fan would be mounted. From memory it's a 4 pin plug with two coloured wires and two black wires in it.

Thanks mate will have a look when this storm passes. On another note, when should this relay operate? Should it switch on as soon as the A/C button is pressed to the on position? Which means the fan will run as long as the A/C is turned on. I connected a relay to the coil terminals of that plug in the relay box, but it failed to operate with anything I tried. Or is it thermostatically controlled? I'm trying to locate the wiring diagram in the manual but not having much luck...lol

Yendor
29th January 2016, 03:51 PM
It will operate when the engine is running and the A/C is on.

The ECU can also switch it on if the A/C is off and the engine temperature gets to hot.

Yendor
29th January 2016, 03:57 PM
The wiring diagram will be in two sections of the factory workshop manual. Part will be in the A/C section and part will be in EC engine control section.

clubbyr8
29th January 2016, 05:24 PM
I know I'm starting to become a pain but all I could find is in Supplement 10, EC section Page 316. It shows a Cooling Fan Relay wired in parallel with the Air Conditioner Relay which is controlled by the ECM relay operating (plus the AC switch). The contacts of the Cooling Fan Relay operate the Cooling Fan motor. Is this the right relay? If it is, The battery side of the coil has a white wire not a green/yellow that the unpopulated relay socket has. The relay marked Rad Fan (top row, last relay on the right) blue relay installed has a white wire going to terminal 1. According to the documentation, this is the Cooling Fan relay and the A/C relay is bottom row, 2nd populated spot with a blue relay and looks like it also has a white wire to terminal 1 (can't really tell). Interestingly I took the Rad Fan relay out and the relay contacts aren't wired, just the coil is. Page 317 of EC section shows the relay positions. This is getting fun....lol

Yendor
29th January 2016, 05:59 PM
Yep that's the diagram. So your relay only has terminals in two positions?

clubbyr8
29th January 2016, 06:12 PM
Yep that's the diagram. So your relay only has terminals in two positions?

Yep, but it's a different relay to what we discussed previously....

Yendor
29th January 2016, 06:23 PM
What it's not marked as rad fan?

The best way to confirm it's the correct relay is to put a voltmeter between the two terminals. Engine running and A/C on it should read 12 volts. A/C off it should read 0 volts.

clubbyr8
3rd February 2016, 09:45 AM
Having trouble sourcing one. Anyone know where I can get one at a reasonable price?

killercat
4th February 2016, 06:45 AM
Have just added the thermo fan to my 2011 patrol, bought the fan from Nissan, very easy to install, could not find wiring harness. Local auto electrician wired the fan into the original circuit, fan is under control of Ecu. So far everything is working well.

clubbyr8
7th February 2016, 10:22 AM
These things are bloody expensive 2nd hand. Got quoted $220 plus freight from a wreckers in Sydney, shudder to think of the price new....