PDA

View Full Version : Fridge/Freezer Brands and Experiances

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 10:31 PM
I couldn't find a thread anywhere about the different Fridge/Freezers that are around atm so I thought would make a spot to review the different models.
Please feel free to post up models you have and sizes of the fridge as would be good to get some different opinions..
Feel free to post up everyone
:feedback:
Fletcha

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 10:35 PM
g`day fletch
i have 3 engels and have never had a problem with them
i use one for a freezer 1 for food and 1 for ..........................BEER
all are 40 ltr ranging from 12 years old to this year
hay its raining ...yeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 10:37 PM
sorry about that ................BUT WE GOT RAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
had to go and touch it hahahahahahahaha

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 10:40 PM
I work on trucks almost everyday at work and the basically all run engels, and they all rave about them lol..
My father has a 60ltr waeco which he has had for about 5years now, never missed a beat and keeps everything inside icy cold, no matter what the temps are outside

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 10:42 PM

Haha I know its exciting mate, take a deep breath and go outside and dance in it Hahahaha

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 10:43 PM
I work on trucks almost everyday at work and the basically all run engels, and they all rave about them lol..
My father has a 60ltr waeco which he has had for about 5years now, never missed a beat and keeps everything inside icy cold, no matter what the temps are outside

a couple of mates went that way with waeco was`nt long before they got engels
failure`s with them all the time ....proberly just a bad batch but they own engels now
and i wouldnt go without mine
i proberly just put a curse on mine bugga hahahahahahahahaha

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 10:46 PM
Haha I know its exciting mate, take a deep breath and go outside and dance in it Hahahaha

we really need rain over here
went out today and looked across perth it was a dust bowl with this wind
now ......well lets hope its heaps
sorry about the hijack mate

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 10:46 PM
a couple of mates went that way with waeco was`nt long before they got engels
failure`s with them all the time ....proberly just a bad batch but they own engels now
and i wouldnt go without mine
i proberly just put a curse on mine bugga hahahahahahahahaha

With the way that everyone raves about them I don't see yours giving you many problems lol..
Touch wood anyways just incase LMFAO

big_fletch
10th April 2011, 10:48 PM
we really need rain over here
went out today and looked across perth it was a dust bowl with this wind
now ......well lets hope its heaps
sorry about the hijack mate

Nah your right mate, happens to the best of us lol.. let's hope it won't be long till everything is green and luscious lol

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 10:59 PM
cant wait .......................and MUD !!!!!!!!

molongmick
10th April 2011, 11:02 PM
Have a waeco 50lt now for four years, bounced around in the back of the rodeo before I got the Patrol. It now lives permantly in the Patrol always on, never had a problem with it.

GUtsy ute
10th April 2011, 11:33 PM
I couldn't find a thread anywhere about the different Fridge/Freezers that are around atm so I thought would make a spot to review the different models.
Please feel free to post up models you have and sizes of the fridge as would be good to get some different opinions..
Feel free to post up everyone
:feedback:
Fletcha

I have an 80 litre EvaKool which is 5 yo and it's seen lots of Australia without missing a beat.
I think 12 volt fridges are like cars, you hear good and bad about all brands.
Engels seem to be the most popular, with Waeco next.
I'll stick with my EvaKool, but if it stops, then I'll look at whats available with an open mind.
Cheers Gavin
Enjoy the mud nowoolies!!!

nowoolies
10th April 2011, 11:48 PM
I have an 80 litre EvaKool which is 5 yo and it's seen lots of Australia without missing a beat.
I'll stick with my EvaKool, but if it stops, then I'll look at whats available with an open mind.
Cheers Gavin

it stopped as quick as it started bugga

molongmick
10th April 2011, 11:49 PM
Cheers Gavin

Gavin, I agree with everything you said, I only went Waeco because of the deal that was offered, not the name.
Have a look what is being offered with an open mind as you said.
Every now and then there are special offers or deals being offered.

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 08:07 AM
Yes exactly, there isn't much difference between them, and even the engal rep said that at the caravan and camping show..
This thread isnt about one better than another, its just more about experiences with different models.. do they work well? Do they use much power? Things you don't like about particular brands? Ect...

boggy2006
11th April 2011, 09:02 AM

last week we didn't have rain here for about 3 days!

molongmick
11th April 2011, 09:33 AM
Yes exactly, there isn't much difference between them, and even the engal rep said that at the caravan and camping show..
This thread isnt about one better than another, its just more about experiences with different models.. do they work well? Do they use much power? Things you don't like about particular brands? Ect...

The only major issue I have with the waeco is the lid, the hinge is not the best design and the string that prevents the lide from opening too far is constantly breaking. Apart from this i'm very happy with the waeco.

the evil twin
11th April 2011, 11:04 AM
Engel run Sawafuji innards (Sawafuji own Engel) which gives them a slight edge in lower power consumption and better performance 'cause Sawafuji won't sell their gear to third parties (to the best of my knowledge anyway).

Almost everyone else is running Danfoss or similar.

This means that the choice becomes one of design cosmetics, internal/external 240 Volt power pack and cabinet construction but prob most important to most... Price.

IMHO National Luna is the Benchmark product... but after that becomes whoever offers the best deal and whether you want metal or composite. I have yet to have any major issues with Waeco's or Engels and use both equally at work

my third 256
11th April 2011, 12:05 PM
have a 50 lt waeco for 13 years runs all the time in shed for beer and taken away for camping /has less currant draw than a engle according to the spec sheet
only problem had to replace the power cord 2 months ago

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 06:49 PM
The only major issue I have with the waeco is the lid, the hinge is not the best design and the string that prevents the lide from opening too far is constantly breaking. Apart from this i'm very happy with the waeco.

I will agree with you on that mate, my father has same problem with his.. good idea being able to flip lid to open other way, but hinge design could have been better lol

Bacho86
11th April 2011, 07:03 PM
My Dad's been running one of the new 47L ARB fridge freezers for a while now and he's pretty happy with it, nice strong light weight construction - plus a handy swivel lid that can be taken off completely in order to gain easy access to the whole fridge!

Timbo
11th April 2011, 07:06 PM
Having just installed the dual batteries, a fridge is next on the agenda and possibly a winch.

I've already bought the Engel fridge plug so I'll be looking for an Engel fridge (although if a deal too good to refuse on a Waeco pops up, i'll change).

Engel Pro's - Aluminium body is sexy, Digital temp gauge, the lid hinges and the seal on the lid.
Engel Con's - Price, temperature adjustment is a knob, no mini compartment next to the main storage.

I think the temperature setting via a knob isn't very advanced for such a well respected brand. To me it feels old and inaccurate. and could easily be knocked. I think they are over priced and are purely going by their name because they don't offer anything new or innovative to warrant the extra $200-400 price tag above the waeco.

I'd still like one because I like the look of them, I like the lid, it feels strong and sturdy and I also like the fridge seal it uses which resembles more of an ordinary fridge rather than a thin black seam like the waeco.

Sorry there's no real world experience here.. but thought I's share why I'd prefer an Engel over a Waeco. As someone said before, they are pretty much the same, just like Patrols and Landcruisers, Holdens and Fords, Blondes and Brunettes.

Wait, that last one was a lie. haha.

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 07:06 PM
My Dad's been running one of the new 47L ARB fridge freezers for a while now and he's pretty happy with it, nice strong light weight construction - plus a handy swivel lid that can be taken off completely in order to gain easy access to the whole fridge!

I haven't heard much on the ARB fridge/freezers, kinda look like and remind a waeco..
Supposed to be a really good unit though so I have heard

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 07:09 PM
Having just installed the dual batteries, a fridge is next on the agenda and possibly a winch.

I've already bought the Engel fridge plug so I'll be looking for an Engel fridge (although if a deal too good to refuse on a Waeco pops up, i'll change).

Engel Pro's - Aluminium body is sexy, Digital temp gauge, the lid hinges and the seal on the lid.
Engel Con's - Price, temperature adjustment is a knob, no mini compartment next to the main storage.

I think the temperature setting via a knob isn't very advanced for such a well respected brand. To me it feels old and inaccurate. and could easily be knocked. I think they are over priced and are purely going by their name because they don't offer anything new or innovative to warrant the extra $200-400 price tag above the waeco.

I'd still like one because I like the look of them, I like the lid, it feels strong and sturdy and I also like the fridge seal it uses which resembles more of an ordinary fridge rather than a thin black seam like the waeco.

Sorry there's no real world experience here.. but thought I's share why I'd prefer an Engel over a Waeco. As someone said before, they are pretty much the same, just like Patrols and Landcruisers, Holdens and Fords, Blondes and Brunettes.

Wait, that last one was a lie. haha.

I see what you mean with the temp knob on the top mate,
But they do look very good with the metal casing Haha

kingy
11th April 2011, 07:50 PM
Been using a wacoe for 18 months pretty happy with it older unit with push button temp control overall very happy thing just works and when not in the truck its in my shed keeping my beer cold. Will pull down to -9 on maximum it had 7 coldness settings I live on number 2 and beer is perfect.

Cheers

PS a 60 ltr unit

timbar
11th April 2011, 08:08 PM
cant wait .......................and MUD !!!!!!!!

sorry i know bugger all bout car fridges but i do know the engel is the best on the market so ive been informed i have been looking as well

Sir Roofy
11th April 2011, 08:14 PM
ive got the big waeco the largest they made had it 4yrs now never misses a beat every thing is cold or frozen depending on the occasion
why so big got a good price
the fridge, travel bag,huge ice box,240v transformer the lot 1700 bucks
your lucky to get a fridge for that now

macca
12th April 2011, 07:46 AM
My brother is a frigdgee, he worked for a mob in WA who repaired portable fridges amongst other things.

He said they had a bench on either side of the workshop, one for Waeco and one for Engel both allways had an equal number of fridges to repair.

The Engels were all 20 odd years old.

The Waecos were all warrantee repairs, less than a year or two old.

The Engels biggest problem was rubbing a hole in the plate inside the fridge losing the gas, most times too expensive to fix, I think he said you replace the whole fridge unit - only keeping the cabinet.... not sure about that. Plus gas leakages that could be repaired & re-gased.

The Waeco was the electronic controls, the temp control was not up to the task. Also a sensor burried in the insulation can fail, there is a spare one if you know where to cut it open to get at it, once that one fails its a throw away.

There is also supposed to be a pile of dead Waecos at Innaminka. They havn't handled the outback, was told that by a 4x4 journo. BS or not I dont know.

We have had Engels since 1982, regased the 1st due to lack of use ?? Sold that one then bought a 40th Anniversary model in 2005 due to improved power consumption.

Wouldnt have anything else...... but we are concious how we pack it.

Macca

DX grunt
12th April 2011, 09:30 AM
Got a brand new, 95lt Evakool fridge/freezer and really happy. Biggest challenge to using it is, me. Never having a portable fridge before, is a bit challenging to work out the right temp for the food and drinks.

240v seems to drop the temp a couple of degrees colder than when on 12v. Being a big fridge, takes a lot more to cool it down, but that's overcome by proper management and thinking ahead.

On it's maiden trip, it slipped off the pod onto the hard sand on it's end and it survived. Thankfully it was empty. There's a small stress crease in the plastic, but if you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't notice it. Haven't frozen any drinks in it yet, but lost all the bubbles in the beer - soooooooo close. lol

That's my story.

Ross

Dark 1
12th April 2011, 10:17 AM
Have owned an 80 ltr waeco in the past for 5 yrs had small issues but all in all very happy, the only reason we got rid of it was when we bought the trol we wanted two fridges [1 freeze & 1 fridge] run across the false floor in behind the front seats. The new fridges are engel 38ltrs, 2 years now & no problems.

Silver
12th April 2011, 06:03 PM
three way for long camps, unless a gennie is running in which case dodgy homebuilt model with thermofans installed to free2e the fish and chill the beer and black rats (rumbo ready to drinks) :-)

12v for touring. If I was going to buy one, trailbla2er or engel would be towards the top of the list